Global Musical Instrument Co. Ltd

Posted by Kris on Fri, 12/05/03 - 23:16:31.
In Reply to Korean Guitar page

I have a classical guitar made by this company, it's about 30 years old and sounds great, does anybody have any info?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

hi

i have a guitar no clue what the name is it is by global no serial number a broken string do not know how to play i would like some help with knowing the name and if it may be rare

"Global Musical Instument Company Co.", not LTD

I recently stumbled upon one of these (as well as a few strat bodies, one neck and a Fender Frontman 15r) in the garbage. Both amps worked, but I couldn't find any info on the "Global Solid State Amp 4070" except for one site that says it sold on ebay but won't tell me how much it sold for without a credit card.

Same address as all the others, too old to figure out a price on it, but I fully intend on using the Fender amp so I want to sell it. I would like to believe that it's worth more than $10. Does anyone have a reasonable price range on these amplifiers?

GLOBAL JUMBO ACOUSTIC CHERRY BURST

Hey all, just a quick late addition, I just purchased online, A GLOBAL JUMBO ACOUSTIC in cherry burst from the 60's 70's era and it looks awesome, should be here sometime this week. will post details when it arrives! it's in about perfect condition and looks like a wayyyy higher quality instrument than other global guitars. solid maple all around it appears, j200 copy. visually, it looks really really great. I'll post some pictures and details after I give her a full set up.

the asking price was a very high 799.00 but I talked him down to 240 with/out shipping.

In my experience, if you don't know what it sounds like, this is usually too much to spend on an import guitar. but sometimes you just get a feeling.

good luck everyone in finding their #1 guitars out there!

a few facts (maybe the only one's that anyone has) about Global Brand acoustic /electric guitars is this:

They were imported primarily from Korea and Japan from the late 20's to the 80's. there is little to no evidence that they were ever part of a s Gibson Lawsuit (beyond consumer reports generated by people selling them.. fishhy?) they were imported from many manufacturers in the east and some few were made in america. There is some talk that there were atleast TWO DIFFERENT GLOBAL BRANDS, I dont believe this to be true. lots of websites refute this and say that the different fonts on the head stocks are a result of different post-production-printing in CHICAGO and NEW YORK over the course of 60 years. (seems pretty reasonable)

Tone woods, tones, build quality, design techniques:

Seems to be a group of ambiguous designs. anything ranging from gibson aesthetics to hohner/framus copies, harmony- look alikes and even some martin copies. seem's like they follow the styles of the different guitar eras.

from what I can tell, it looks like most were made of maple and plywoods, I found one on google images that appears to be mahogany and a few of the latest models that they produced with spruce tops with much lamination.

Quality of build is just as stratified, for instance, this guitar that I've probably spent too much on had a straight neck, two way truss rod, nice high quality fret work, solid maple all around (from what I can tell, stay tuned(hopefully it does(crazy parenthesis inception moment))), and unrealistically close gibson copying down to the trim work. the appearance looks much much closer to gibson j200's that the well known "Ibanez lawsuit model". real pearl inlays and each details conforming closely, hopefully it plays as well as it looks.

bridge is the "batwing/moustache style", looks great, probably rosewood from the color. strange to see it with an adjustable bridge saddle, probably will remove and put in a bone saddle fat on it's surface.

if I should find that it's in a moderate price range in it's quality, I'll be installing a full active pick up system under the bridge.

hope this helps, I'll post more details hen it arrives on friday.

Good luck friends!

-R

I found something

i just started learning guitar myself because i like to play piano and well music is a big par of my daily life well i needed a guitar for my self and i found one Im not sure but i have been looking for info on this guitar, i found it in a thrift store and purchased it. its a Global acoustic guitar with a hummingbird pic guard right handed and there is a sticker on the back of the head that has a number of 402 its a really nice guitar but i was hoping you would know a little more about it

OLD MANDOLIN

I have an old mandolin that I now nothing about except that it came from this company with the serial number of 3384. It is in rough shape. needs strings and a good body make over. Please contact me with any information on this mandolin. either at godschild3483@gmail.com or call 505 267 7539. Thanks for your time.

The mandolin

Have you received any information about your mandolin? I have the same mandolin#3384, since 1979. If you please enlighten me with whatever information you might have..

thank you

Lou

Dumb Dumb Dumb

"and along with being my first guitar, it's also the guitar I learned on."

Is it me, or is that the second or third dumbest thing ever said here?

Meaning what? Some people learn to play on their SECOND guitar?

What an astronomically ridiculous statement.

Re: Decent replacement for smaller Global guitars 2

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/global-acoustic-guitar-model-403
Click on the picture. This isn't my actual guitar, but the only differences are : Mine doesn't have a saddle, and the headstock on my Global is black instead of brown.

Here is a link to the Rogue acoustics I was talking about in my last post. I have the blue one, but the pictures don't do it justice. Not long after I got mine, I bought a few to re-sell, and the others that I bought look pretty much like the pictures. The two that look the best are the blueburst and the walnut. Again, if you buy one, be ready to make some changes to it.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/rogue-starter-acoustic-guitar

Re: Decent replacement for smaller Global guitars

I also have one of the Global acoustics with a hummingbird on the pickguard, and along with being my first guitar, it's also the guitar I learned on. Anyway, after playing it for a few years, I noticed that the bridge was starting to pull away from the body. It also developed two sink spots in the soundboard, so in 2008, I finally decided to retire it.

Two years later, I got one of those Rogue beginner acoustic guitars from musician's Friend for $35 (mine is blueburst), and I was very surprised to hear how close the tone was to my beloved Global. The only thing is, if you get one, be prepared for a few necessary upgrades. The factory fretboard is literally made out of plastic, and so is the bridge. There is a quick-fix for the bridge, though I don't know how long it will extend the life of the bridge. I had a friend of mine make a metal plate for the back of the bridge, with holes drilled for the strings, so that the balls of the strings don't cut into the bridge.

Anyway, for those of you that love the sound of the smaller Globals, this is one way to keep that sound after your Global gets too old to risk any more repairs. Then again, my Global may have sounded different that most, because I played it without a saddle. The story behind that is too long to go into, but the point is, this Rogue helped me keep the sound I was used to after playing my Global for eleven years, and I thought I would pass it along.

ya i have a global humming

ya i have a global humming bird but that the only information on it and i want to sell it but i dont no how much it is worth

mandolin

made by global no.3339 the invincible need year made

Re: Global Musical Instrument Co. Ltd

Seems like this poor little guitar is lost in the nether world! My son was given one by his grandfather, and it has a slight crack at the base of the neck. We were wondering if it was worth sending it out to be repaired properly would be worth the cost. It is small, and the label inside reads... GLOBAL Musical Intruments Co.,LTD. Manufacturers of Sorento, Nola, Bolero, Sonata and Torina quality guitars. The wording is centered inside of a globe. Any clues to whether it is worth fixing?

: I have a classical guitar made by this company, it's about 45 years old and sounds great, does anybody have any info?

ya im having the same

ya im having the same problem all i know is it is a humming bird acoustic and its made by this company

ok so also have a similar one that is 50 years of age the were asain made and at the time they were sold from $80-120. The company was sued by gibson for copying designs and didnt come back for a while but now all they make are the electrics we know of a LTDs

Someone was cleaning out & giving stuff away- my Dad ended up with a 6 string acoustic -Global Musical Instrument Co. # 401 on the back. Reinforced neck - Excellent condition - old strings but can be replaced - Looked as if the metal string board at bottom had been added - but maybe not. Has a good tone & small like a spanish guitar - My first guitar was a 'Sears Special' - but it was normal size guitar - you know the one - strings 1/2 inch off neck....If you learned on one of those without lowering the bridge - you can play anything :-)
This Global has the string keys attached pointing off the back of the neck - unusual.
From the posts - these were asian copies - & they were marketing eye openers from the us manufacturers who had not cornered the 'everybody wants a guitar that works' market.

My grandfather gave me the

My grandfather gave me the same one i think he got it from a yardsale it says 402 on the back maybe its production number?

Global 6 string guitar

I have the same one. Brand new, never used in its original plastic and box. At the top where you adjust the strings is the no. 401N. It was made in Korea.
My father purchased it sometime between 1965-1970's. I'm trying to find the value.

I have a Global acoustic guitar just like the many of you, it has a hummingbird sucking nector from flowers on the pickguard. I'm not sure about the date of the guitar, but I do have a "E-Z Method" guitar book that i got with the guitar dated from 1962, with a paper inside that shows all the chords for a guitar dated from 1972, the guitars serial number is 306SHH and I hope someone can follow up on some good news to help me out

Global Guitar

I picked up a Global from a friend that was giving it away and it is in pretty rough shape. It obviously had a hummingbird pick guard, needs all new tuning system, and a lowered bridge. It has no name on the head, but inside the sound hole says "Global Musical Instruments Co. LTD." It has no model number and is a sunburst color. It highly resembles a Gibson I have in shape and sound. Any ideas?

Global Hummingbird 6 String #4002 on back (Made in Korea)

Manufacturers of Sorento, Nola, Bolero, Sonata and Torino Quality Guitars.
Anyone know where I can assess it value? Thanks!

global 4001 acoustic guitar

I have a global 4001 acoustic guitar that my husband has from when he was younger. Its missing a tuning peg on the top of the neck of the guitar. Im not sure what their called. sorry. Does anyone know where I can find replacement parts for this: I need strings also but I believe that we can use regular strings for it. Any help for this would be appreciated. Thankyou.

:I have the same guitar and would also love to know the date range on this guitar. It came from my wifes Grandfather's first wife. She was a traveling folk singer in the 40's and 50's and died sometime in the late 50's or 60's. This guitar was bought for her.
scot@carolinacustomscrimshaw.com

I have a Global acoustic guitar just like the many of you, it has a hummingbird sucking nector from flowers on the pickguard. I'm not sure about the date of the guitar, but I do have a "E-Z Method" guitar book that i got with the guitar dated from 1962, with a paper inside that shows all the chords for a guitar dated from 1972, the guitars serial number is 306SHH and I hope someone can follow up on some good news to help me out

So my friends i have a 1959 Global classical and finaaly found out about this company. In the 30s- 70s global made guitars but were soon sued for copying gibsons designs. Theses are wonderful guitars and beutifully made definitly worth playin or keepin. It is a peice of history

: :I have the same guitar and would also love to know the date range on this guitar. It came from my wifes Grandfather's first wife. She was a traveling folk singer in the 40's and 50's and died sometime in the late 50's or 60's. This guitar was bought for her.

This global guitar I have one. It does have the hummingbird pick guard like others. It is the same pickguard that gibson uses on models costing 2.3K. The guitar is well made and I have refinished mine. It is not a cheap guitar and plays real nice with exceptional tone. Don't be fooled by the Global name as being a cheaply made instrument. In fact, the guitar is quite exceptional in all design elements. I play it constantly with a condensor mic plugged into acoustic amp and sounds quite well. Let me know if you wanna sell yours? I WOULD LOVE to own another 306SHH
: scot@carolinacustomscrimshaw.com

: I have a Global acoustic guitar just like the many of you, it has a hummingbird sucking nector from flowers on the pickguard. I'm not sure about the date of the guitar, but I do have a "E-Z Method" guitar book that i got with the guitar dated from 1962, with a paper inside that shows all the chords for a guitar dated from 1972, the guitars serial number is 306SHH and I hope someone can follow up on some good news to help me out

Global Classical Guitar #106

I have an old Global Guiitar I would like to sell and was reading these posts to learn more about them. However, none mentioned what I have. On the back of the neck it has Made In Korea and the number 106. It doesn't have a hummingbird on the pick guard. It is just solid black plastic. The color is honey stained into a much darker brown edge and the back is the same. There are thin yellow circles and one black circle around the middle. I would love to know what it is worth.
Thank you,
Mary Lou

I have a global hummingbird 306shh

Am looking for someone who would like to buy a guitar never to be remade again from sonota, the real thing..

Global Acoustic Guitar

I have an Global Acoustic Guitar. The label on the inside has no serial number only the number 2.

The body is in what I would call exceptional. Just a few wear spots on edges around the back.

The face is in exceptional shape too. The finish is dull some what I can’t tell if it’s just dirty. I have been afraid to try to clean it. It has six strings three steal and three plastic.

The neck is strait and all the frets are there. But there is one problem with the neck. The film of black plastic or what ever it is that goes on the neck between the frets.
For the most part has come lose and flecked off.

It has what I would call a Spanish style head on it and is in very good shape nothing loose or missing.

All in all the guitar play well and has a very nice sound to it.

If you can give me some info on it I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Jamesterry5100@sbcglobal.net

#4004 Global Musical Guitar

My next door neighbors, an elderly couple, just showed me a guitar that he says he's had for 60 years or so. The label is the same as the ones mentioned previously. On the back it has a sticker saying "made in Korea" and a #4004. They are cleaning out the place and wonder if the guitar has any value. The body and strings are in excellent shape, and the plastic trim on the front has one tiny corner missing. It has a very bright tone, and appears to have been well kept. Any info? Anybody?

I also have the same exact guitar as you with the serial 306SHH and the ez method guitar book dated 1962 including the chord chart inside dated 1972 which is really ironic i dont know much about the guitar except that my grandmother gave it to me and said she practiced with it in the 70s its in decent shape for being sold in a sears catalog and it dosnt appear to be made of plywood like many people presume any info let me know thanks mtrudell520@aol.c

: : :I have the same guitar and would also love to know the date range on this guitar. It came from my wifes Grandfather's first wife. She was a traveling folk singer in the 40's and 50's and died sometime in the late 50's or 60's. This guitar was bought for her.

: This global guitar I have one. It does have the hummingbird pick guard like others. It is the same pickguard that gibson uses on models costing 2.3K. The guitar is well made and I have refinished mine. It is not a cheap guitar and plays real nice with exceptional tone. Don't be fooled by the Global name as being a cheaply made instrument. In fact, the guitar is quite exceptional in all design elements. I play it constantly with a condensor mic plugged into acoustic amp and sounds quite well. Let me know if you wanna sell yours? I WOULD LOVE to own another 306SHH
: : scot@carolinacustomscrimshaw.com

: : I have a Global acoustic guitar just like the many of you, it has a hummingbird sucking nector from flowers on the pickguard. I'm not sure about the date of the guitar, but I do have a "E-Z Method" guitar book that i got with the guitar dated from 1962, with a paper inside that shows all the chords for a guitar dated from 1972, the guitars serial number is 306SHH and I hope someone can follow up on some good news to help me out

:: So, I am the next proud 306 owner. I picked it up from a guy who found it on an attic somewhere. It was dirty, the nut was broken and the bridge saddle was just a piece of cheap plastic. It took me some time to clean it up and to put a new nut and saddle on it. The guitar sounds really fantastic. I haven't touched my Yamaha CPX500 since then. Here are some pictures. http://www.acverweij.nl/globalhummingbird/

: :I have the same guitar and would also love to know the date range on this guitar. It came from my wifes Grandfather's first wife. She was a traveling folk singer in the 40's and 50's and died sometime in the late 50's or 60's. This guitar was bought for her.
: scot@carolinacustomscrimshaw.com

: I have a Global acoustic guitar just like the many of you, it has a hummingbird sucking nector from flowers on the pickguard. I'm not sure about the date of the guitar, but I do have a "E-Z Method" guitar book that i got with the guitar dated from 1962, with a paper inside that shows all the chords for a guitar dated from 1972, the guitars serial number is 306SHH and I hope someone can follow up on some good news to help me out

i have the same global guitar with that serial number!

I have one similar to that too, but it just has flowers painted on a really big plastic pickguard. it was my mom's guitar a long time ago, and i can't figgure out where it came from.

: I have a classical guitar made by this company, it's about 30 years old and sounds great, does anybody have any info?

i cant find anything excepr this site i also have a global that is an exact duplicate of the gibson j200 with the big moustach bridge it plays and sounds excellent but i realy would like ome info thanks

Re: musical instruments dealing

we are the leading manufacturer of musical instruments.we will provide you the better quality at favorable price.
without any hesitation you can contact us.

We have an old Global guitar and want to know how old it is and where to get replacement parts.

: We have an old Global guitar # 12411 and want to know how old it is and where to get replacement parts.

: : We have an old Global guitar # 12411 and want to know how old it is and where to get replacement parts.

i also have an old Global accustic guitar the only identification i can find is on the back #402 and made in korea i would like to get it back into condition to play

global acoustic guitar

I also have this guitar that is made in korea....# 405 on the back of the neck...did you ever find any info out regarding this & if so does it have any value....thanks!

I have #455 :) I am lucky

I have #455 :) I am lucky mine is still in good shape, but it would be nice to know where to go should something break!

I own a Jumbo body acoustic guitar by Global. This baby I picked up on ebay, She originally had autographs from the past owners band members and friends. But besides that she is a genuine Vintage Western Beauty. I am in the process of restoring her. As Far as it goes She sounds GREAT! I wish there were more details of this company. I just hope its not like in those movies like Click, and it has powers.... yeah Im a dork. Just know it sounds good and I am recording with it. P.S. I had a dean Marley pick up installed in it. So even better!

I have a guitar I found in our attic it is missing the smallest string and the little thing at the bottom that holds the string in I was wondering if it would be better for me to fix the guitar I have and buy everything I need or to buy a new guitar with a starter pack or something? Oh and it had the name of your company on the inside and this number on the back 857-2042

I found the following info at a different webpage www.guitarnotes.com This is what it said:

"Hello and Welcome to Guitar Notes"

The Global guitars were acoustic and electric guitars that were cheaply made instruments that came from a variety of Asian sources that got imported to a USA importer located in Chicago, IL and the importer gave the guitars the Global name and chained them out to catalog companies like Mongomery Wards, Sears and ect. and chained out the guitars as low end budget priced instruments to discount retail outlets and music shops during the 60's, the 70's and some found from the early 80's. The imports were 6 string and 12 string acoustic guitars and 6 string electric guitar copies of name brands not quality. It's rare to find one in excellent condition that's worth $50.
They may have good tone/sound/projection or they may not for such is subjective to every individual by knowledge and ear, feel and personal prefferrences !!!
I have not heard of Global 14 string sitar but I cant count them out for the Asian sources made copies of most every stringed instrument they could clone, even fiddles which that's what China and Korea and Japan culture was about , detail and what they did was take an item and start making it until they got it to standards and better, so instruments massed produced retained or got better in quality and got made better than the USA for a while, and it really strained the USA instruments manufacturers, thus to compete with just as well or better built guitars than the USA , USA instrument manufacturers started having their instruments made overseas in Asia and importing the instruments back to the USA as made in USA, until such time as companies such as Fender USA and Gibson USA had to get with the quality control and mass marketing and in the long run the USA and the Japanese Gakki instrument companies or such as Ibaneze faired the best heading into the 70's and 80's and onwards. There's no denying the Japan made guitars worthiness nor Mexico made guitars, within specific brands and models and year dates quality nor the same from Italian and some Latin countries as well as the many independent instrument makers around th world.
The major brands pushed on the markets do have to really keep hard at it to stay afloat because of all the instrument company competition of today both domestic and foreign or foreign made under liscense to domestic and as well as some other foreign name brand boutique companies that are putting just as good or better musical instruments out in the market places at very competitive pricings.
Mind you there are low end to high end and quality instruments in most all brands and models from early era to present day and on into the future !!!

If this guy knows what he is talking about then there isn't much else to say.

: I found the following info at a different webpage www.guitarnotes.com This is what it said:

: "Hello and Welcome to Guitar Notes"

: The Global guitars were acoustic and electric guitars that were cheaply made instruments that came from a variety of Asian sources that got imported to a USA importer located in Chicago, IL and the importer gave the guitars the Global name and chained them out to catalog companies like Mongomery Wards, Sears and ect. and chained out the guitars as low end budget priced instruments to discount retail outlets and music shops during the 60's, the 70's and some found from the early 80's. The imports were 6 string and 12 string acoustic guitars and 6 string electric guitar copies of name brands not quality. It's rare to find one in excellent condition that's worth $50.
: They may have good tone/sound/projection or they may not for such is subjective to every individual by knowledge and ear, feel and personal prefferrences !!!
: I have not heard of Global 14 string sitar but I cant count them out for the Asian sources made copies of most every stringed instrument they could clone, even fiddles which that's what China and Korea and Japan culture was about , detail and what they did was take an item and start making it until they got it to standards and better, so instruments massed produced retained or got better in quality and got made better than the USA for a while, and it really strained the USA instruments manufacturers, thus to compete with just as well or better built guitars than the USA , USA instrument manufacturers started having their instruments made overseas in Asia and importing the instruments back to the USA as made in USA, until such time as companies such as Fender USA and Gibson USA had to get with the quality control and mass marketing and in the long run the USA and the Japanese Gakki instrument companies or such as Ibaneze faired the best heading into the 70's and 80's and onwards. There's no denying the Japan made guitars worthiness nor Mexico made guitars, within specific brands and models and year dates quality nor the same from Italian and some Latin countries as well as the many independent instrument makers around th world.
: The major brands pushed on the markets do have to really keep hard at it to stay afloat because of all the instrument company competition of today both domestic and foreign or foreign made under liscense to domestic and as well as some other foreign name brand boutique companies that are putting just as good or better musical instruments out in the market places at very competitive pricings.
: Mind you there are low end to high end and quality instruments in most all brands and models from early era to present day and on into the future !!!

: If this guy knows what he is talking about then there isn't much else to say.

i was told that global made exact copies of gibson guitars and the quality was so good that they were sued by gibson to get them off the market

Oh No!! I just bought a similar guitar to the ones all mentioned here today and was so excited to come home and see what it was all about. This is the only place on the internet with ANY information of this sort. What a mystery...

Mine is a #403, same inside sticker ask mentioned by everyone else. Sunburst front and hummingbird decals on pick guard. It sounds great! Picked it up from a man's garage sale, silly me not asking anything about it- didnt want to make a big deal since his price was so low and its in great condition. Anyone get any info, please share!

REAL OLD GUITAR

my father in law has a old gitar and its at least 40 years old. its number is 0403. i dont know what the number is for but the guitar was made in tiwan and 2 on the inside of it... on the name lable thing.

: I have a classical guitar made by this company, it's about 50 years old and sounds great, does anybody have any info?

: I have a Bently Mandolin and was wondering what the value of it used but in great condition is worth? Can anyone give me an Idea?

I have a mini guitar with the Global Musical Instrument CO LTD "manufacturers of sorento, nola..." and so on lavel inside body. It has a white plastic pick guard and a finish that is red on the edges fading into brown toward the center. The gold and black sticker on back of head is 4001. It looks like I am in the same boat as the rest of you. I have no idea what the history or value of my guitar is. I agree it does have a pleasant sound. Does anyone else have the sticker on the front of the head saying, "Steel reinforced neck"? I wish you all luck in finding some answers.

mini guitar- Glogal Musical

Just purchased one today in Durham, NC.
It has the steel reinforced neck # 4001. The labels are in mint condtion. I had to replace the hi E string . It tuned very easily. I paid $20 for it. Bought it for my 5 y/o grandson who has expressed some interest in learning the guitar

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.