old kraftsman guitars

Advertisement
Posted by Jim Lewis on Mon, 11/04/02 - 23:44:59.
In Reply to Korean Guitar page

hello,i have located an old kraftsman flat top guitar.
my daughter-in-law's grandfather has it. he said he bought it in greensboro,N.C.in 1960 for 125.00. its in perfect condition w/case,
also 1960,very good cond. all i have been able to find out is,
they were made for spiegle catalog co.some in the 1930's were made by gibson,later by other makers inc. kay.it doesn't look like it's been played much at all. any info anyone has will be greatly appreaciated,thanks, Jim Lewis, North Carolina.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Old Kraftsman Guitar

I have a P4, L2125 6836 Old Kraftsman Guitar. Can you tell me anything about it? How do you identify the year it was made for example. Does it have any value?

Need help finding information about my Old Kraftsman Acoustic

i have an Old Kraftsman Acoustic/Electric Guitar it got a solid top with a rare tip on it...a glass lookin pick guard on it

Old Kraftsman slide guitar

I need to know the value of an Old Kraftsman slide guitar. It appears to be an Hawian modle.
It is yellow with flowers and a plam tree on the base.

I have oid kraftsman L9219.

I have oid kraftsman L9219. i was wondering the value

Re: old kraftsman guitars

: hello,i have located an old kraftsman flat top guitar.
the serial number that we can find on it is L4111. If you can help me in finding out some information on it, we would grately appreciate it.

: : hello,i have located an old kraftsman flat top guitar.
: the serial number that we can find on it is L4111. If you can help me in finding out some information on it, we would grately appreciate it.

Follow up:
Old Kraftsman was produced by Kay for the Mongomery-Wards catalogue business.

Old Kraftsman

Old Kraftsman electric guitars were built by Kay for Speigel and were sold through catalogs. According to Michael Wright of Vintage Guitars, some models were apparently made by Gibson.

: : : hello,i have located an old kraftsman flat top guitar.
: : the serial number that we can find on it is L4111. If you can help me in finding out some information on it, we would grately appreciate it.

:
: Follow up:
: Old Kraftsman was produced by Kay for the Mongomery-Wards catalogue business. They went out of buisness in 1968 I believe.I also have a Old Kraftsman with a L9727 stamped inside the body. I would like to know what year it was made and if it's worth anything.

Re: bass hollow body old kraftsman guitars

i have a hollow body old kraftsman bass guitar. what is it worth

Re: bass hollow body old kraftsman guitars

: i have an old kraftsman bass guitar. what is it worth

We found an old Kraftsman at ayard sale...It is a 3/4 and is obviously a kids guitar.Ithas litle cowboys painted on it.My fathre in law saw on antique roadshow that some were made in the 30s and given tokids by Gibson for being in some sort of seed contest. It was valued on there at around 25,000. we know this is out of reach for us.. but anyone know where I can look this up.. or of any info on this.. Thanks a lot... Chas

Re: got my typing skills from a blind man :P

: We found an old Kraftsman at a yard sale...It is a 3/4 and is obviously a kids guitar.It has little cowboys painted on it.My father-in-law saw on antique roadshow that some were made in the 30s and given to kids by Gibson for being in some sort of seed contest. It was valued on there at around 25,000. we know this is out of reach for us.. but anyone know where I can look this up.. or of any info on this.. Thanks a lot... Chas

i ahve an old craftman

Yo! fun...
i like it :)
John
<a href="http://www.toshain.com">painting</a>

: hello,i have located an old kraftsman round body with
with the number 1436 on the inside looks good, about when it was made, and by who I don't know, someone gave it to me in Forest City North Carolia.:I like to find out due to if it's worth anything I might just hold on to it.Hollo body looks like strat with ovle back made of wood adjustable string height.

The Old Kraftsman label was a house brand for the Spiegel mail-order catalog company. Like Sears and Roebucks’ Silvertones and Montgomery Ward’s Sherwoods, these guitars were manufactured by other companies and branded with Spiegel’s trade moniker. Spiegel purchased most of its stringed instruments from Chicago manufacturer Kay, and for a short time in the ’30s from the Gibson company. The date of purchase, the squared-off shoulders of the upper bout, the shape and location of the f-holes, and the peghead contour suggest that this very nice entry-level archtop was made by the Kay company. While these guitars are not highly collectible, many of them are good players’ instruments, and the street value ranges from $250 to $500.

—Paul Kotapish
Vintage Guitar Magazine

Wow! Thanks for the information! I just posted my first message here, stating that I knew nothing about the Old Kraftsman I recently purchased; going on to say how much I like it. And then I asked if anyone could provide any information on them. Well, you had already provided just what I was looking for; I simply didn't look far enough before placing my message. Thanks again!

i purchased an old kraftsman guitar from a budy for 10 dollars, i figured it was a good deal because of the
retro style and its old style looks. i dig them to the max, and if any of you have a pic of your's send it to me at kasperklown@hotmail.com

At one time I owned an Old Kraftsman 6-string guitar, Old Kraftsman mandolin, and I still own an Old Kraftsman acoustic/electric bass guitar. Not sure about age/history/value of any of these intruments. I have used the bass in the recording studio, and the engineer tried to trade me his brand new Peavey for it. NO DEAL. I love the mellow sound of the bass. Would love more information if anyone has any.

I have an OLD KRAFTSMAN L 9229 ACOUSTIC 6 STRING and an archtop SILVERTONE ACOUSTIC 6 STRING- N15.
They are both in good condition does anyone know their value or where they were made etc. Or...a web site that might have info like this. Please email your respoinse to the email listed.
Thanks

: At one time I owned an Old Kraftsman 6-string guitar, Old Kraftsman mandolin, and I still own an Old Kraftsman acoustic/electric bass guitar. Not sure about age/history/value of any of these intruments. I have used the bass in the recording studio, and the engineer tried to trade me his brand new Peavey for it. NO DEAL. I love the mellow sound of the bass. Would love more information if anyone has any.

I HAVE AN OLD KRAFTSMAN ACOUSTIC WITH THE F HOLES IN THE BODY THAT I BOUGHT ABOUT 13 - 14 YEARS OFF AN OLD GUY WHO LIVED IN THE COUNTRY. I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT BUT LOVE IT. ITS NECK IS KINDOF V SHAPED AND HAS WHAT LOOKS LIKE THE ORIGNAL GROVER KEYS AND GROVER TAILPIECE. ON THE BACK OF THE HEAD OF THE NECK IT SAYS 241. I BELIEVE THIS IS THE SERIAL NO. i WISH I COULD FIND OUT MORE ABOUT IT.I WISH I NEW ITS AGE.I HAVENT SEEN ONE LIKE.

I also have an Old kraftsman acoustic with f-holes, blonde, has holes for knobs, as someone modified it for a pickup, I currently have a bridge piezo on it, and I had to make a pickguard for it. She plays well, sounds well, she projects with enough punch for bluegrass! I have taken her to Africa and Switzerland, as well as all over the American West. Some of the Ol' Kraftsmans I have seen are just great! An underated classic of the 20th Century! I would love to figure out how old she is and whether or not she is by Kay or Gibson. Any help on this would be welcome.

I have an old kraftsmans that I put the neck back on and revarnished and put new keys on and installed kramer pickups in the oroginal pickup hole. I cut a hole near the now adjustable bridge and installed a kramer picup.
It has been bragged on for the blues sound.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.