BC Rico Eagle bass

Posted by broc138 on Fri, 05/18/07 - 13:14:27.

Like some others I have seen on this page, I am looking for info on a bass I bought a couple yrs ago. It is a BC Rico Eagle SN 1881 with OHSC. The finish is a natural, dark wood tone, and looks like it has been kept in the case. Neck-thru design with 2 P-Bass style pickups. Any idea of the year or potential value? I have been trying to locate a guitar blue book without having to buy one, but have had no luck. Thanks.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: BC Rico Eagle bass

IT'S THE ORIGINAL "NJ SERIES" GUITARS THAT WERE PRODUCED IN JAPAN IN 1980 I BELIEVE, MAYBE OFF A YEAR OR TWO. IF IT SAYS BC RICO ON HEADSTOCK AND ONLY BC RICO, ONLY ABOUT 200 OF THOSE GUITARS MADE IT INTO THE COUNTRY BEFORE BERNIE RICO SR., FOUNDER OF BC RICH GUITARAS, WAS SUED BY RICO REEDS OVER THE USE OF THE NAME "RICO". HENCE THE NAME CHANGE TO NJ SERIES, WHICH ARE THE INITIALS OF THE CITY IN JAPAN WHICH THEY FIRST WERE BEING PRODUCED, NOT THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY. LOOK ON LINE FOR INFO THAT'S WHERE I LEARNED.

BC Rico Bass

All of the aforementioned info is fairly accurate, except the "200 made it into the country" aspect. From those in the know ( working at BCR at the time) there were reported to be multiple shipping containers packed full with instruments from that initial run....so while an exact number isn't known a container holds about 600...so a realistic number can easily be in the thousands.

They were decent instruments for the money ( remember they are essentially a japanese copy, albeit one sanctioned by the factory) although the shapes of the bodies did not exactly match their handmade USA counterparts and they were extremely basic, much like a beginners model.

Max price for a superior condition Rico Eagle bass w. OHSC would go about $600...maybe $700 for a Wave Bass because they are more rare, and thats superior only.

They are routinely picked up in the $200-$400 dollar range depending on the condition. As they get older many are starting to show signs of wing separation issues...which is a pain to fix properly, so watch out for this.

I own several and they are neat to go out and gig with if you dont want to take your $2500 handmade axe out to a rat hole venue with a tiny stage where it might get banged up....lol. As a BCR bass collector i'm always looking for more of these, and different colors. Anyone looking to sell hit me up... bodyshopstuff@yahoo.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.