Re: Watkins Guitars

Advertisement
Posted by Bob Cookson on Mon, 01/22/01 - 16:31:02.

: I seem to have become a Watkins Guitar collector by default since it was never my intention to start collecting them.
: I have had a Rapier Bass since about 1967.It is currently in pieces and needs renovating.The action was always terribleIt is an awful pink/red colour.Many years ago I removed all the frets and converted it into a fretless bass.

: My second Watkins is a red (possibly 33 but no other markings to identify) which I bought from a second hand shop in 1968 for 20 pounds, which seemed like a lot of money then.Serial No.14462.
: It has rather a strange body shape, like a strat but with the horns rounded off.Action is very good.

: My final purchase was 1998 again in a second hand store, a Rapier 44 for 100 pounds.I don't think the shop owner realised it was a vintage guitar or it would have been much more.It had been badly hand-painted black body.When I renovated it, there were signs that it had been red but since I already had a red Rapier, I resprayed it a light blue to match the early strat colour.Serial No.17211.
: Action is good but not as good as the 33.

: Both my Rapiers say Wilson on the baseplate.Anyone know why not Watkins or WEM?

: Does anyone know how to date the Rapiers fron serial No.?Charlie Watkins is on e-mail but not very keen to answer trivial questions from the masses (understandably).

: Would anyone else like to leave details of their Watkins guitars?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

: : I seem to have become a Watkins Guitar collector by default since it was never my intention to start collecting them.
: : I have had a Rapier Bass since about 1967.It is currently in pieces and needs renovating.The action was always terribleIt is an awful pink/red colour.Many years ago I removed all the frets and converted it into a fretless bass.

: : My second Watkins is a red (possibly 33 but no other markings to identify) which I bought from a second hand shop in 1968 for 20 pounds, which seemed like a lot of money then.Serial No.14462.
: : It has rather a strange body shape, like a strat but with the horns rounded off.Action is very good.

: : My final purchase was 1998 again in a second hand store, a Rapier 44 for 100 pounds.I don't think the shop owner realised it was a vintage guitar or it would have been much more.It had been badly hand-painted black body.When I renovated it, there were signs that it had been red but since I already had a red Rapier, I resprayed it a light blue to match the early strat colour.Serial No.17211.
: : Action is good but not as good as the 33.

: : Both my Rapiers say Wilson on the baseplate.Anyone know why not Watkins or WEM?

: : Does anyone know how to date the Rapiers fron serial No.?Charlie Watkins is on e-mail but not very keen to answer trivial questions from the masses (understandably).

: : Would anyone else like to leave details of their Watkins guitars?

I recently purchased a "Wilson" left-handed semi-acoustic six-stringer for the princely sum of £50 from a guitar shop as it had no bridge on it. It appears to be based on a Gretsch Country Gent. After havin a Gibson style bridgea on it and a re-set up it's playing like a dream and the pick-ups are just class!! I would put them slightly behind my Ibanez Artists humbuckers but not by much. If anyone has any info on the guitar I'd be over the moon to hear from you!

My first electric guitar was a Watkins Rapier 33, bought in 1962 for £30 (7 weeks wages!). I've been through the Fender and Gibson phase and now, in my dottage, want to turn the clock back. So, I've just acquired another Rapier 33. I didn't realise they were so lightweight and a lot louder than they were through my 15 watt amp.

I'm after a tremelo arm - can anyone help me? Also a headstock logo.

Thanks.

I've got a Rapier 44 and seem to be missing the watkins
logo and also the wa wa bar. Does anyone know where
i could find one.

: I've got a Rapier 44 and seem to be missing the watkins
: logo and also the wa wa bar. Does anyone know where
: i could find one.

: : I've got a Rapier 44 and seem to be missing the watkins
: : logo and also the wa wa bar. Does anyone know where
: : i could find one.

There's someone selling the funny "backwards" Watkins logo transfers at this moment on eBay at about £7.00.
Not sure about the trem, but try modifying a strat or mustang replacement.
Good luck.

sorry about the last posted message an error on my part!
Anyway back to my real reason for posting a reply I have a Watkins HiLo Vibrato Strat copy pink in colour...circa 1963/4..is anyone interested in owning it?

Hi there,

I bought a WEM bass late 2000, from musical exchange in B'ham. The serial number is 106249 and I am trying to find out info about it. ANy help??

: : I seem to have become a Watkins Guitar collector by default since it was never my intention to start collecting them.
: : I have had a Rapier Bass since about 1967.It is currently in pieces and needs renovating.The action was always terribleIt is an awful pink/red colour.Many years ago I removed all the frets and converted it into a fretless bass.

: : My second Watkins is a red (possibly 33 but no other markings to identify) which I bought from a second hand shop in 1968 for 20 pounds, which seemed like a lot of money then.Serial No.14462.
: : It has rather a strange body shape, like a strat but with the horns rounded off.Action is very good.

: : My final purchase was 1998 again in a second hand store, a Rapier 44 for 100 pounds.I don't think the shop owner realised it was a vintage guitar or it would have been much more.It had been badly hand-painted black body.When I renovated it, there were signs that it had been red but since I already had a red Rapier, I resprayed it a light blue to match the early strat colour.Serial No.17211.
: : Action is good but not as good as the 33.

: : Both my Rapiers say Wilson on the baseplate.Anyone know why not Watkins or WEM?

: : Does anyone know how to date the Rapiers fron serial No.?Charlie Watkins is on e-mail but not very keen to answer trivial questions from the masses (understandably).

: : : I have recently aquired a Left handed Watkins Rapier 22 (red) S/N 11135. Being left handed I am very pleased to have come across it. The action is low having been modified to suit the previous owner. Anyone else come across a leftie?

Regards,

Robin

: : :

I acquired a left-handed 1958 Rapier Deluxe a few years ago. It was in pretty bad shape (missing bridge, neck warped) but I got a guy to repair it, and it plays awesome. Great old school jangle. Still has the original vinyl carrying bag, too! As someone with the last name Watkins, I had to have one. :)

Parts occasionally come up on e-Bay, but there's no one who supplies them regularly. You can get good history and dating information here:
www.watkinsguitars.co.uk

Good friend of the late Reg Watins, who I'm afraid died earlier this year.I have come into possesion of a 33 that was one of Reg's favorites and he kept for himself when he closed the factory. Chrome a bit pitted as it was in his loft for years. Gonna spend a lot of time and effort to renovate this guitar in respect for Reg. Mine has Watkins in the headstock.

: : : I seem to have become a Watkins Guitar collector by default since it was never my intention to start collecting them.
: : : I have had a Rapier Bass since about 1967.It is currently in pieces and needs renovating.The action was always terribleIt is an awful pink/red colour.Many years ago I removed all the frets and converted it into a fretless bass.

: : : My second Watkins is a red (possibly 33 but no other markings to identify) which I bought from a second hand shop in 1968 for 20 pounds, which seemed like a lot of money then.Serial No.14462.
: : : It has rather a strange body shape, like a strat but with the horns rounded off.Action is very good.

: : : My final purchase was 1998 again in a second hand store, a Rapier 44 for 100 pounds.I don't think the shop owner realised it was a vintage guitar or it would have been much more.It had been badly hand-painted black body.When I renovated it, there were signs that it had been red but since I already had a red Rapier, I resprayed it a light blue to match the early strat colour.Serial No.17211.
: : : Action is good but not as good as the 33.

: : : Both my Rapiers say Wilson on the baseplate.Anyone know why not Watkins or WEM?

: : : Does anyone know how to date the Rapiers fron serial No.?Charlie Watkins is on e-mail but not very keen to answer trivial questions from the masses (understandably).

: : : Would anyone else like to leave details of their Watkins guitars?
Good friend of the late Reg Watins, who I'm afraid died earlier this year.I have come into possesion of a 33 that was one of Reg's favorites and he kept for himself when he closed the factory. Chrome a bit pitted as it was in his loft for years. Gonna spend a lot of time and effort to renovate this guitar in respect for Reg. Mine has Watkins in the headstock.

Re: Watkins / Wilson Guitars

I got a Wilson Rapier 22 from a shop in Kent for £80 last year (2000), reduced from £120. The action is nice and it has quite a mellow sound. Tremelo is great - a simple but very effective mechanism. Condition overall is excellent, but there are some pits in the chrome and cracks in the body finish.

I think the change from Watkins to Wilson was in the late '60s, but there are lots of other small changes over the years, control layouts, types of knobs and switches and the style of name cut into the scratchplate.

Mine has metal knobs like a Vox, with a plastic 'boost' switch and the name in capitals - the scratchplate is three-ply white-black-white and the name is machined into the top layer of plastic, showing the name in black. I have seen the name in lower case italic elsewhere and with cheaper plastic knobs, and one with a metal switch in s different position. The funny little pickup switches don't seem to change.

Also I have seen one with a black neck and red body. Most were red, but black blue and white have also been spotted. Watkins ones have a decal on the headstock, Wilsons only have the name on the tailpiece. Don't know about wems.

Very nice guitars, not deserving the snobby derision of those who only saw them as stepping stones to the holy Strat.

Simon in London

I have a watkins that is non-wem and has a watkins hi-lo vibrato that is the best thing iv'e ever tried of its kind as far being strong at both tuning stability and resonance volume/tone loss-really takes alot of whamming and stays in tune for alot of it-a really great guitar pickups look like dearmond humbuckers

I emailed charlie watkins, ages ago about the same thing and he said to me that the serial are random and bear no relation to dating. As far as I can tell there is no easy way to date a watkins, other than gut feeling, they range from very early to quite recent, as I'm sure you know.
They only came in black and red so anything else has been resprayed. If it has WEM, written on the headstock this is a later model and, obviously not as valuable as a plain one.
Wilson evolved from Watkins (Not sure when) but they continued production untill 1982 (For more info and a picture on this see the Ultimate Guitar Book).
Any other questions, feeel free to mail me
P.S I have two 1960's watkins, if you want to buy one a 33 and a 22 :-)

I have a Rapier 33 which has been lovingly restored by a friend. However there is an exceedingly faint image of the Watkins Rapier logo on the finger plate and would love to get a clearer, sharp copy of it so I can have a new transfer/sticker made up. Does anyone know where I can get a picture of how it looked in showroom condition? I also need a Tremelo handle.

hi!
I have a rare WEM project 4 guitar.
check it at my site:
http://www.ts808.com
all the best ,
jacqyes

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.