Fender "The twin" red knob amp opinions??

Advertisement
Posted by Craig on Fri, 07/20/01 - 07:55:30.

What is the concencus on this amp.Is it a keeper or a dud ?
Sound, reliabillity.
Hope you can help

Related News
Fender Hot Rod Blues Junior III Amplifier

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Fender Red knob

My amp once fell down the stairs, about 7 meters down, rolling over, bouncing, nearly causing me a heart attack. Exept for a few scratches he survived this ordeal briljantly. Since this moment this amp has become my ever reliable gig machine

Re: Fender

: What is the concencus on this amp.Is it a keeper or a dud ?
: Sound, reliabillity.
: Hope you can help

does anyone know what the retail price was for this amp?

: does anyone know what the retail price was for this amp?

Just over £1,000.00 in the UK. £1,100. They used to sell discounted new, for £999.00

richard

i think it is a greeeeat amp! very versital, and you can seperatley blend the clean and dirty channel, which is great for recording

I have had mine since 1991. At first I loved it because it was my first tube amp even though the tone was totally wrong for what I wanted to do- Van Halen, Pearl Jam Ten, Nirvana. I bought some new amps over the past few years and get more the sound I wanted in the first place. I tried to sell the Twin because it was a little too rockabilly for me. Well, I couldn't get a decent price to save my life, so I decided to risk an upgrade. I bought some Warehouse Speakers TE65 which are like Celestions g12h65s and they are great. Totally changed the amp. The ice picky shrill twang is gone. The amp is more mellow and the gain has a better break up. If you want to play rock on this amp, I really recommend changing the speakers. It's still not a metal amp though- classic rock. It can get a decent amount of gain though. I would recommend an overdrive for leads. The clean was great but harsh before the speaker upgrade and it still sounds great, but more mellow. The Warehouse speakers were only $65 each. Another trick is that I bought a used Sholz Power Soak and now I can get the gain going heavier by turning master volume up to "2 or 3" and use the power soak to keep me from blowing my eardrums. I can even use it for quiet practice with the Power Soak. That was $75 used. Great tone. I hear Hotplates sound even better. Less tone robbed. The volume knob on this thing is ridiculous. To play quietly you need the thing turned down to half of one. I can play with a drummer and bass player on 1. 1 1/4 is loud. 1 1/2 and everyone says it's too loud. I have a Marshall half stack and this thing is definitely touchier. The Marshall on 4 is like this amp on 1.

Fender the twin

I have owned one of these amps for 3 yrs and never used it because it's way too loud. I recently spoke to a friend about it and he just happens to be an expert in electronics. Especially valve stuff. He showed me a mod which works brilliantly and now I can crank up the gain and volume to 8/9 and get all the right tones without blowing my ear drums out. Here goes.... Wire a 25w light bulb in series with the loudspeakers. This splits the output of the amp between the speakers and the bulb making the sound much quieter. It really works!

Howdy,
I've had mine for going on three years without a single problem. Mine is near mint and had a small preamp tube rattle which I fixed with a new 12ax7.
As for tone, it's great for clean applications; especially jazz or with a Rickenbacker 12. Heavy Metal would probably be good with this amp. For me it's a reliable clean machine with some real "thump" from those 12-inch speakers. This is a "Sleeper", like many of the red knob models.

Larry C.

I bought mine about twenty years ago and do have to admit it is a great amp. Heavy? It is that. Loud? You better believe it is. For the first few years of owning this amp I was timid & shy because it was so loud and I was not so good. Over time as my playing improved so did my use of this amp. Personally, I rarely played with the volume above 4 or 5...mostly below one. I did a lot of basement jamming and you need somewhere for that sound to escape to like a open garage or club. I am married with children now and my playing is not as frequent and jamming with friends is even less frequent. So once you get to where I am it is probably time to down grade unless you are more active in your playing. But do not let me being an old timer detract from the FACT that this is a great amp.
Good luck,
Mick

KEEPER ALL THE WAY, I HAVE GIGGED THIS AMP FOR 20 YEARS AND IT HAS NEVER NEEDED SERVICE OUTSIDE OF A NEW TUBE. I OWN MANY AMPS< MARSHALL 68 PLEXI, BUDDA SUPERDRIVE II, AND THIS IS MY GO TO AMP. CHANGE THE TUBES, 12AX7 FOR RCA BLACK PLATES, 6L6 for GE 6L6GC AND REALLY IMPORTANT IS THE 12AT7 FOR A 12AU7 IN THE V7 POSITION AND THIS AMP WILL COME ALIVE AND COMPETE WITH ANY DUMBLE OR RIVIERA OUT THERE. I ALSO PUT A CELESTION BLUE IN THE WITH THE STOCK SPEAKER HAS A LITTLE EARLIER BREAKUP. BUT TONE WISE IS PRETTY DAMNED CLOSE TO THE EMMINENCE. MINE IS THE BLACKED KNOB EVIL TWIN.

I PLAY IT AT LOW POWER WITH TWO TUBES PULLED SO IT IS ESSENTIALLY A 12 WATT AMP AND THE 12AU7 CUTS THAT BUZZY GAIN WAY BACK. IT STILL BREAKS UP NICE BUT IT REQUIRES A LITTLE MORE ROOM WITH THE VOLUME AND GAIN KNOB.

Re: Fender Evil Twin,

Hi Thom.

Thanks for the info on your black knob Evil Twin. I have one in virtually unused condition, but I don't particularly love the sound at the moment.

I have many other amps and the Evil Twin is far too heavy, and the average sound doesn't make up for the atrocious weight of the combo .. ( in my opinion.) I admit, that it is INCREDIBLY LOUD!

Could you detail the mods for me please, and the logic behind them??
My e-mail is; napravobg@yahoo.co.uk

many thanks
richard

I have had one for the last 10 years and gigged with it for about 7 of those years until my back gave out! It is an awsome piece of gear but does not suit everyone's taste but I was very pleased with it all the time I used it in anger. I now use it for recording from time to time and to do so I took the middle two power tubes out and switched it to half power (not forgetting to alter the impedance) and it still sounds LOUD!!!!!!!! but you get a more useable tone that way. It doesn't suit every guitar either and favours S/C Fenders my Tele with Duncan stacked P/ups sounding the best especially on the "clean" channel where it still manages to crunch a little and if you blend in the O/D channel just a tad it really rocks!!!!!!! I love this amp but I could be persuaded to part with it for the right price but I know I would miss it

Well I just bought this amp ONLY because I was about to buy the DeVille but someone popped up and gave me a great deal for a Red Knob. At first Never heard of it but once he said All Tube I went for it.
So as of now I don't like it because I'm not into this 0.5 volume screaming! It's like a car speedometer with a max at 200mph - What's the purpose?
I wasn't keen on the sound vs. the DeVille or Hot Rod - I'm not hearing that nice bluesy sound - but I was using an Ibanez since I didn't get my Fender back.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. It didn't wow me much yet.

American blues legend Guitar Shorty uses two red-knob The Twin amplifiers and will only play through those amps. He bought them new in the early 1990s and swears by them; he refuses to use anything else. www.guitarshorty.com

The red knob twin has great big shiny ones that go BONG. The only problem is that they tend to shake themselves apart every 10 years or so - if you play 'em loud all the time. I have 2 of them. Amazing sound and LOUD. I love the tone, and people are shocked at the volume.

I have one of these bought new in 88.This thing can drive nails on the clean channel and sounds ptetty decent on the od. Does any one have a manual for this thing . I lost mine Somwhere ...Thanks...Tony

Hi Guys,
While this amp is heavy and probably too heavy for an old rocker like myself at this stage I cannot find something that will do a better job for a wide range of music.
I bought this amp new in 1988 and it hasn't missed a beat BUT with the number of tonal combinations possible with the push/pull tone controls a lot of people are probably not getting the best out of the amp.
My preference is to cut the mid and boost the treble on the clean channel and boost treble and bass on the overdrive channel, boosting mid on the second channel is in my opinion not a great sound except with loud humbuckers and bass boosted.
Frankly, while I have them I am not a great fan for overdive units except for lead solos, but through the overdive channel, this when cranked is great for chords and solos.
Try a Boss GE-7 for boosting the solo and you're in business.
Any feedback on my comments would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Mel

Re: Fender "The twin" red knob amp opinions??

Fender "The twin" red knob amp opinions??

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Fender "The twin" red knob amp opinions??

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.