fender f-35

Posted by phil on Tue, 12/25/01 - 04:16:43.

i bought this model new in 1970
its still in very good shape, but i cannot find any history on it
i.e. its value or where it was made

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

fender f35

I have a fender f35 in beautiful vintage condition color really nice real dark top. serial 7211. I bought it in late 72/73 used. Tuners were replaced with good Grovers and strap pins before I acquired it. Very solid hard light brown case with a yellowish silver plush lining. I am now 62years old. I have gone through a lot of guitars and have some that cost me 10x more than the f35 cost, but this guitar has a high dollar sound and why I still have it. Anybody have an idea the value.

Fender F-35

I have an F-35 from '79, serial 7949732. It is older than me!! Given to me from my dad as I play more often than he does! It still sounds wonderful and rarely needs re-tuning! It struggles abit with Muse/Foo Fighters, but feels at home with Dire Straits/Pink Floyd!!

F35 in the studio

I bought it for $100 shipped on ebay, when it arrived I filed the bridge to make the action where I like it with the slack-key tuning I use (DADEBE), it's about the same as my D-35 after I put 10 Martin guage strings on. I cleaned it up - frets/finish with Martin guitar polish, and tuned it. It plays as good as anything I've played.

When the humidity is about 50% it is perfect (tuning and action) all the way to the top fret, no buzzes, and very clean harmonics. When the humidity gets above 65% the tuning goes off a bit above the 10th fret, at lower humidity it will start to buzz above the 12th fret, so for studio work it must be kept around 50% humidity - 75 [deg] F. I have used it in the studio with more than acceptable success.

I like it for slack key work, even more than my D-35 (which cost me $12 k), I don't use it for regular tuning though, as the neck bends/twists a little more than I like, even with the 10 guage set. If you know how to set up a guitar, and you keep it in a temperature/humidity controlled environment it is a very good guitar to play, and has a decent tone.

Fender F-35

I have had mine since the mid 70's. It's an early model.
Top: Spruce
Back and sides: Obankole in walnut finish
I love this guitar and it compares to anything I have found (though not quite like a high-end Taylor).
Mine has seen much playtime over the 40 odd years I've had it. I've about worn it out. It's been re-fretted in the last few years and I'm wearing it out again. I put a LRBaggs pickup in it and it sounds great. I'm just having buzzing fret issues on the low and high e strings 5 and 7th frets respectively. I am much tempted to snatch one of these few remaining gems up before they're all gone. Provided I find A good one. Review? They're old, mine was Korean, later they were Japanese. Quality select Obankole wood, great tone and great craftsmanship. Warning, because they're used and each one different, try before you buy if $100 means much to you. Otherwise enjoy. 5 0f 5 guitar picks!

Here's the description from http://www.philsfenders.com/f-35.html

The Dreadnought size guitar. Rich, full-bodied sound. Top of natural finish Spruce. Sides and back of select Obankole wood in walnut finish. Eight piece dark binding and pin type bridge. Neck of satin finish Mahogany with Rosewood fingerboard and adjustable truss rod. Individually enclosed machine heads. 20 frets; 25½ inch scale. 40¾ inches long, 16 inches wide, 4 7/8 inches deep.

F-35 finish

Has anyone here every tried to repair the finish of an F-35? I recently purchase one with dents in inconvenient spots along the back of the neck. Any ideas on methods & materials?

Oops

It's a '79, if that makes any difference.

fender f 35

hi
i have a fender f 35 with the stripe on the back side. i was produced in 1975. can anyone tell me what kind of value it has. it is in good condition. the serial number is 31057

Re: fender f-35

: i bought this model f 35 serial number f7949591
: its still in very good shape, but i cannot find any history on it
: i.e. its value or where it was made

if you're interested in buying one, go here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250476628044

hey guys i have one of these beauties too!
mine plays wonderful, especially in the hands of an experienced guitar playa (i am a drummer!!)
check out this site for some info on the f-35
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Fender/F-35-01.html

hello all,i also happen to be lucky enough to hav a fender f-35, it was my dads but he never learned to play it, so i took it down from our attic a few years back an had it restored (the neack action was horrible) it now plays better than most acoustics i have played. One thing i'd like to know is, how old is it? as i can't find the dating scheme fro fender acoustic serial numbers11 please email me if u hav any info it would be much appreciated! Phil

I hate to throw away an F-35

I have one which has seen better days. It needs new strings, machine heads and a few frets and maybe the neck needs adjustment. I am no expert.

It is free to a good home if you live in the UK (Kent) and don't mind picking it up.

The first 2 numbers in the serial number are the year it was made.

RE:

: hello all,i also happen to be lucky enough to hav a fender f-35, it was my dads but he never learned to play it, so i took it down from our attic a few years back an had it restored (the neack action was horrible) it now plays better than most acoustics i have played. One thing i'd like to know is, how old is it? as i can't find the dating scheme fro fender acoustic serial numbers11 please email me if u hav any info it would be much appreciated! Phil

first two digits of serial number.........are year of manufactur........... and they are rare to puit in perspective......... if you ebay search fender f-35 you get no hits
thats pretty rare id \f ya ask me

I just came home with an f-35 today that I bought from a friend. I am having the same problem nailing down a date of manufacture. All I can find is that it is a solid spruce top, obankole back and sides, and retailed for $225. Date range that I keep seeing is 72-81. My serial number starts with F 78, so maybe it was made in 78?? Good luck with your search!

I HAVE A FENDER F-35 ACOUSTIC. I HAVE HAD IT SINCE 1982. HOW OLD WOULD IT BE AND WHAT WOULD BE THE VALUE OF IT. IT'S IN MINT CONDITION AND SOUNDS BETTER THAN A MARTIN...THANK YOU JAMES

I also have a Fender F-35. I had purchased it from a pawn shop a couple of years ago for about $75. It plays great however, I know that it must be a cheaper model due to the sort of muted tone. Have you ever found any history on it? Just curious.

Thanks,
Robert

: I also have a Fender F-35. I had purchased it from a pawn shop a couple of years ago for about $75. It plays great however, I know that it must be a cheaper model due to the sort of muted tone. Have you ever found any history on it? Just curious.

: Thanks,
: Robert

The Fender F35 was made in Japan during the late 70's and early 80,s. I bought one in Germany in 80 for about $230.00 with the case. I still have it and have had no troubles with it. They are well built guitars but have been acused of being a copycat of the D45 Martin.
Ken

1979 Fender F 35

I have this guitar forever. I keep it in the case and play it a couple times a week. So cool looking because the lacquer has yellowed so much. Sounds great. Perfect neck set - plays smooth and fast. I love the "V" neck!

I have a Martin D16, a Dobro and a couple other acoustics. This one is a keeper. Very well built - very balanced. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

End result:

Not for sale. Ever.

I have a 1979 fender F35

What a terrific guitar!

this guitar is 34 years old, sounds amazing, plays perfect and is very close to a Martin D45.

Interestingly enough - my Martin D18 (1979) needs a neck reset because the neck set has dropped - which is a common Martin problem with their guitars from the 1960's through the 1980's.

The Fender F35?... Perfect. Like the day it was new. I will never sell it.

F-35

I bought my F-35 model Fender guitar in early 1980 for $300.00. It has performed for me very well. The sound has improved with age. It has been my best friend for all these years. I am in the prison ministry here in New Mexico and when we go into the "hole" where the hard core prisioners are at you can not take any amps. Just the guitar and my baby plays so very well. The sound is great. I can't say enough good things about this guitar.

Robert

: I also have a Fender F-35. I had purchased it from an add in the paper for $85 in 1999. I almost sold it once cheap. I put new strings on it to get it ready to sell and fell in love with it all over again. Does anyone know wher I can get the plastic that covers the adjustment rod behind the nut? What do you guys think about installing a thinline pick up? I must have too much time on my hands.

: Thanks,
: Robert V

fender f35

have had an f35 for 35 years. been to hell and back. couldn`t have made the trip without it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.