Re: Fender Catalina acoustic

Advertisement
Posted by Patrik on Thu, 05/09/02 - 20:58:45.

: does anyone know anything about a fender catalina acoustic guitar such as when it was made, how much they're worth, etc.?

I bought a fender catalina on ebay for $149.00,
just found out tonite they are worth around $400.00

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Fender Catalina

Hey,

Get this:

1. Around 2000-2002, don't remember well, I got this as a gift... From a normal, every-day friend/person.

2. Until 2009 played it, every now & then, then deposited it in its leather(ish) like stylized bag.

3. Can't really remember if it started then, or since then, because when I got it out of its bag this year, I noticed a pretty big gap between the strings and the fretboard (approx. 5-7 mm/quarter of an inch). Then I noticed that the body presented a somewhat bulky area, somewhere behind the brigde (or where the strings come out). Maybe it's just me, or in time the wood really developed a bulky spot, because of the strings tension, which b.t.w. are in standard tuning...

4. Then I think of selling it... Maybe someone will have a go on it, for $130. Posted an ad...

5. But then I thought, maybe the strings have always been like this, and I was to young to know this much about a guitar. Moreover, even if it's not been like this, and this phenomenon started to develop only during the last years, I began to think about counteracting. For example, what if I lowered the bridge (cutting it)? Plus meddling with the steel bar that's inside the neck (can't remember what it's called, English is not my native language), to straighten the neck. Because it also got curved over the years.

6. The small repair turned out so well, that the strings are now closer to the fretboard, than on an e-guitar!!! And without having a single fretbuzz. So I decided to keep it :)

7. Today I searched the internet after this guitar model, and I found you guys, with your stories, out of which the prices stroked me most.
And now I'm really happy I kept it.
And it really sounds fantastic, by the way!

Fender Catalina

I bought mine about 1983 from Guitar Center in Santa Ana Calif for about $400 with out the case. The only thing I have had done to it is I changed the tuning keys to Grovers and had a bridge pickup installed. This black beauty is by far my most favorite acoustic guitar in my music room and the older the guitar gets the better it sounds. My suggestion is if you have one treasure it, if you can buy one do it you won't be sorry.

Fender Catalina acoustic

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Fender Catalina acoustic

Hi, i am 17. My mom bought my dad a fender catalina in 1983 as a wedding present. It is one of the most beatiful acoustic guitars I have ever seen. It is in great condition and had a solid melow tone.

I have one that was the first acoustic I ever bought. Have had it since roughly 1989. Paid $200 for it at Ciderville located in Claxton, Tennessee. I have since purchased a Taylor 410CE and a Breedlove and still play the Fender 10x's more than the other 2. I wouldn't sell it or trade it for anything. Beautiful guitar, bright clean tone. I love it!! Would like to know more about it but then maybe not.. I have a feeling that when I pass on that my son will inherit a true treasure that is as beautiful as any women I have ever known and definitely truer!! lol If you have one. I would keep it for sure...

I got mine around 1985 at Chicago´s store it costed me $200. Beautiful!, the best, I still play my baby. The best curve i ever have.

I got mine around 1985 at Chicago´s store it costed me $200. Beautiful!, the best, I still pay it. The best curve i ever have.

I got mine around 1985 at Chicago´s store it costed me $200. Beautiful!, the best, I still pay it. The best curve i ever have.

I have one that was the first acoustic I ever bought. Have had it since roughly 1989. Paid $200 for it at Ciderville located in Claxton, Tennessee. I have since purchased a Taylor 410CE and a Breedlove and still play the Fender 10x's more than the other 2. I wouldn't sell it or trade it for anything. Beautiful guitar, bright clean tone. I love it!! Would like to know more about it but then maybe not.. I have a feeling that when I pass on that my son will inherit a true treasure that is as beautiful as any women I have ever known and definitely truer!! lol If you have one. I would keep it for sure...

Hi. I've had a Catalina since about '87. Fantastic sound and tonal quality. Wouldn't play anything else. I've found it difficult finding info on them though, even at Fender. Did they do any other colours? Mine's Black.

Fender Catalina acoustic

Fender Catalina acoustic

Hi,
I have had my Catalina since the late 80's This was the missing piece to my collection, I play a strat, a tele, a Gibson SG and wanted am acoustic that had the feel of a strat. The Catalina is exactly that. it's funny that it has the Strat headstock, because the moment I picked it up it felt like I was playing an acoustic stratocaster. it tends to get a bit drowned out if jamming with big box jumbo type acoustics but for the silky smooth lead runs, WOW! hard to find one of these Korean built beauties, they all seem to be black, and look like carbon copies of each other. if you have the chance to get one, SNAP IT UP. saw one on ebay for $219.00 US today, I might bid on it at that price.

Hi all. I have a Black (seems that's the only color) Fender Catalina guitar that was my late fathers and I don't play so it just sits around the house collecting dust. I think it would be much better off in someone elses hands who can appreciate it. I am in northern NJ and would take $500 for it. Let me know. dcfoto1@gmail.com

Hello! I have had my Fender Catalina since 1988 and it still looks and sounds like new.... Not sure what it it's worth today but mine doesn't have a scratch on it. It too is black with the strat appearance.

: : does anyone know anything about a fender catalina acoustic guitar such as when it was made, how much they're worth, etc.?

: I bought a fender catalina on ebay for $149.00,
: just found out tonite they are worth around $400.00

: : : does anyone know anything about a fender catalina acoustic guitar such as when it was made, how much they're worth, etc.?

: : I bought a fender catalina on ebay for $149.00,
: : just found out tonite they are worth around $400.00

The Catalinas were discontinued back in the late 80's/early 90's (I believe) and if you have one in excellent/good condition it's probably worth between 500-600, depending on how many were made (I'm still trying to find out how many were made myself)

They stopped making them in 1992

Re: Fender Catalina acoustic/solid black/

: : : does anyone know anything about a fender catalina acoustic guitar such as when it was made, how much they're worth, etc.? bought a fender catalina

: :was in a shop when the fender salesman was there ;; said it had the "discontinued stle california keys ,, all on the same side or top.... bought mine ina pawn shop for 200..excellent guitar ,,, : : I thought that some one told me once that it was 1982 vintage ,, collectability ??or were it was made dont know yet

Re: Fender Catalina acoustic/solid black/

: : : does anyone know anything about a fender catalina acoustic guitar such as when it was made, how much they're worth, etc.?

: :was in a shop when the fender salesman was there ;; said it had the "discontinued stle california keys ,, all on the same side or top.... bought mine ina pawn shop for 200..excellent guitar ,,, I bought a fender catalina on ebay for $149.00,
: : just found out tonite they are worth around $400.00

Fender Catalina acoustic

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.