Re: Gilmour Effects

Posted by John on Tue, 05/14/02 - 07:59:16.

While Gilmour uses the Boss today, from what you are trying to do, he was using the MXR Dynacomp, so you should go there.

For Fuzz, he used a Fuzz Face until around animals when the Muff was prominent in his line up.
As far as the Chandler Tube Driver goes, Don't get the rack mount. It doesn't come close to the Pedal. You can pick the pedal up on e-bay or harmony central. There is a difference in sound between the two. get the early BK Butler Model.

Get a delay, for the early stuff you should get a MXR Phase 90, keep the univibe, and your don't really need a leslie, you can "make one" out of the univibe and the phase 90.

John

: For a compressor buy a dynacomp. And for a fuzz I think your Ibanez will do it just fine. But if you really want
: to buy a new one, buy a tube drive or a tube screamer (both will do it just fine) or some other tube overdrive
: because you already have a fuzz. And don´t sell your univibe, keep it and buy a MXR Phase 90. You
: also need EHX flanger. No boss or Ibanez will do it like EHX. Boss RV-2 is a reverb, but it also has a Delay, right.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

: can anyone tell me wot effects he uses on cumfy numb solo?.

Also, is it true that he used the Electric Mistress Flanger for most of the Wall? Is that a big essential part of the sound?

: While Gilmour uses the Boss today, from what you are trying to do, he was using the MXR Dynacomp, so you should go there.

: For Fuzz, he used a Fuzz Face until around animals when the Muff was prominent in his line up.
: As far as the Chandler Tube Driver goes, Don't get the rack mount. It doesn't come close to the Pedal. You can pick the pedal up on e-bay or harmony central. There is a difference in sound between the two. get the early BK Butler Model.

: Get a delay, for the early stuff you should get a MXR Phase 90, keep the univibe, and your don't really need a leslie, you can "make one" out of the univibe and the phase 90.

: John

: : For a compressor buy a dynacomp. And for a fuzz I think your Ibanez will do it just fine. But if you really want
: : to buy a new one, buy a tube drive or a tube screamer (both will do it just fine) or some other tube overdrive
: : because you already have a fuzz. And don´t sell your univibe, keep it and buy a MXR Phase 90. You
: : also need EHX flanger. No boss or Ibanez will do it like EHX. Boss RV-2 is a reverb, but it also has a Delay, right.

Okay, so the next two pedals I should get are an MXR Dynacomp and a MXR Phase 90.

I like the Univibe, but the reason I was talking about selling it was because if I did sell it, I could buy both MXR pedals for the selling price. And if the Phase 90 can get that univibe sound, then why keep the big univibe pedal which I have read so many bad reviews about its reliability?

And in terms of the Chandler Tube Driver, I want to get one, but I am really interested in the rack version, especially the boost feature. I assume Gilmour had two pedals because he didn't have the boost option. Do you really think there is THAT much of a difference between the rackmount and the pedal? Everyone I have talked to prior to this have said there isn't a difference. Also note that generally the rackmount is $100 cheaper on Ebay and Harmony Central.

: While Gilmour uses the Boss today, from what you are trying to do, he was using the MXR Dynacomp, so you should go there.

: For Fuzz, he used a Fuzz Face until around animals when the Muff was prominent in his line up.
: As far as the Chandler Tube Driver goes, Don't get the rack mount. It doesn't come close to the Pedal. You can pick the pedal up on e-bay or harmony central. There is a difference in sound between the two. get the early BK Butler Model.

: Get a delay, for the early stuff you should get a MXR Phase 90, keep the univibe, and your don't really need a leslie, you can "make one" out of the univibe and the phase 90.

: John

: : For a compressor buy a dynacomp. And for a fuzz I think your Ibanez will do it just fine. But if you really want
: : to buy a new one, buy a tube drive or a tube screamer (both will do it just fine) or some other tube overdrive
: : because you already have a fuzz. And don´t sell your univibe, keep it and buy a MXR Phase 90. You
: : also need EHX flanger. No boss or Ibanez will do it like EHX. Boss RV-2 is a reverb, but it also has a Delay, right.

Well, the Chandler Tube Driver Pedal gets its value because of the big names associated with it, Rob Johnson, Gilmour etc. You'll want to make sure that when you buy it, it is the BK Butler model. It should say on it on the fron Concept and design by BK Butler. After he was not associated with Chandler the quality of the sound deteriorated a bit. Check out Harmony central on the reviews of the rack as opposed to the pedal and make an informed decision. I prefer the pedal. Like anything though I guess it goes on taste. A friend of mine had the rack mount version (with the same tube in it that I have in my pedal) and it didn't quite sound the same. Alot of people get the CTD and don't like it because its not what they expect. Remember that for Gilmour he runs a VERY clean amp, no gain. Thats the beauty of the Hiwatts, no matter what level you play, it is always crisp. He then adds different tonal charachteristics using his various pedals. The key is to blend the pedals to get a decent sound. The CTD is essential for his "now" sound as he favors the CTD and Cornish Soft Sustain.

I think Gilmour has two Tube drivers because he uses two different tubes. Each tube will produce a little different tone.

As for the Mistress---there isn't a Flanger made that compares to the sounds that the Mistress gets. Combine it with a Big Muff and it is out of this world. The Flanger and the Muff were Gilmours main Wall effects in the live shows.

Depending on what you want, I would go with the Mistress then the Phaser.

For the Univibe, I would definately keep it.

For what you are looking for, I'd go with a Fuzz Face, EQ, Delay, Compressor (MXR for early stuff), Phaser and Mistress. Big Muff for some of Animals and the Wall. That should encompass most everything up to the Wall.

Hope this helps!

John

: Okay, so the next two pedals I should get are an MXR Dynacomp and a MXR Phase 90.

: I like the Univibe, but the reason I was talking about selling it was because if I did sell it, I could buy both MXR pedals for the selling price. And if the Phase 90 can get that univibe sound, then why keep the big univibe pedal which I have read so many bad reviews about its reliability?

: And in terms of the Chandler Tube Driver, I want to get one, but I am really interested in the rack version, especially the boost feature. I assume Gilmour had two pedals because he didn't have the boost option. Do you really think there is THAT much of a difference between the rackmount and the pedal? Everyone I have talked to prior to this have said there isn't a difference. Also note that generally the rackmount is $100 cheaper on Ebay and Harmony Central.

: : While Gilmour uses the Boss today, from what you are trying to do, he was using the MXR Dynacomp, so you should go there.

: : For Fuzz, he used a Fuzz Face until around animals when the Muff was prominent in his line up.
: : As far as the Chandler Tube Driver goes, Don't get the rack mount. It doesn't come close to the Pedal. You can pick the pedal up on e-bay or harmony central. There is a difference in sound between the two. get the early BK Butler Model.

: : Get a delay, for the early stuff you should get a MXR Phase 90, keep the univibe, and your don't really need a leslie, you can "make one" out of the univibe and the phase 90.

: : John

:
: : : For a compressor buy a dynacomp. And for a fuzz I think your Ibanez will do it just fine. But if you really want
: : : to buy a new one, buy a tube drive or a tube screamer (both will do it just fine) or some other tube overdrive
: : : because you already have a fuzz. And don´t sell your univibe, keep it and buy a MXR Phase 90. You
: : : also need EHX flanger. No boss or Ibanez will do it like EHX. Boss RV-2 is a reverb, but it also has a Delay, right.

Well, the Chandler Tube Driver Pedal gets its value because of the big names associated with it, Rob Johnson, Gilmour etc. You'll want to make sure that when you buy it, it is the BK Butler model. It should say on it on the fron Concept and design by BK Butler. After he was not associated with Chandler the quality of the sound deteriorated a bit. Check out Harmony central on the reviews of the rack as opposed to the pedal and make an informed decision. I prefer the pedal. Like anything though I guess it goes on taste. A friend of mine had the rack mount version (with the same tube in it that I have in my pedal) and it didn't quite sound the same. Alot of people get the CTD and don't like it because its not what they expect. Remember that for Gilmour he runs a VERY clean amp, no gain. Thats the beauty of the Hiwatts, no matter what level you play, it is always crisp. He then adds different tonal charachteristics using his various pedals. The key is to blend the pedals to get a decent sound. The CTD is essential for his "now" sound as he favors the CTD and Cornish Soft Sustain.

I think Gilmour has two Tube drivers because he uses two different tubes. Each tube will produce a little different tone.

As for the Mistress---there isn't a Flanger made that compares to the sounds that the Mistress gets. Combine it with a Big Muff and it is out of this world. The Flanger and the Muff were Gilmours main Wall effects in the live shows.

Depending on what you want, I would go with the Mistress then the Phaser.

For the Univibe, I would definately keep it.

For what you are looking for, I'd go with a Fuzz Face, EQ, Delay, Compressor (MXR for early stuff), Phaser and Mistress. That should encompass most everything up to the Wall.

Hope this helps!

John

: Okay, so the next two pedals I should get are an MXR Dynacomp and a MXR Phase 90.

: I like the Univibe, but the reason I was talking about selling it was because if I did sell it, I could buy both MXR pedals for the selling price. And if the Phase 90 can get that univibe sound, then why keep the big univibe pedal which I have read so many bad reviews about its reliability?

: And in terms of the Chandler Tube Driver, I want to get one, but I am really interested in the rack version, especially the boost feature. I assume Gilmour had two pedals because he didn't have the boost option. Do you really think there is THAT much of a difference between the rackmount and the pedal? Everyone I have talked to prior to this have said there isn't a difference. Also note that generally the rackmount is $100 cheaper on Ebay and Harmony Central.

: : While Gilmour uses the Boss today, from what you are trying to do, he was using the MXR Dynacomp, so you should go there.

: : For Fuzz, he used a Fuzz Face until around animals when the Muff was prominent in his line up.
: : As far as the Chandler Tube Driver goes, Don't get the rack mount. It doesn't come close to the Pedal. You can pick the pedal up on e-bay or harmony central. There is a difference in sound between the two. get the early BK Butler Model.

: : Get a delay, for the early stuff you should get a MXR Phase 90, keep the univibe, and your don't really need a leslie, you can "make one" out of the univibe and the phase 90.

: : John

:
: : : For a compressor buy a dynacomp. And for a fuzz I think your Ibanez will do it just fine. But if you really want
: : : to buy a new one, buy a tube drive or a tube screamer (both will do it just fine) or some other tube overdrive
: : : because you already have a fuzz. And don´t sell your univibe, keep it and buy a MXR Phase 90. You
: : : also need EHX flanger. No boss or Ibanez will do it like EHX. Boss RV-2 is a reverb, but it also has a Delay, right.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.