Re: Chandler Tube Driver or Tube Works

Posted by John on Sat, 06/29/02 - 10:14:52.

I've heard alot of debate on this topic...

I have a Chandler Tube Driver and tried the tube works..

The Chandler is by and far a better pedal. It sounds incredible and blends nicely with other pedals.

Gilmour uses two

Plus, the CTD is an investment, If you search you can get a good deal. Get the pedal and not the rack mount version

John

: I was wondering which pedal do you think is better, because the chandler you cant get anymore unless its used and you can just go pick up the tube works anywhere. So is there a huge difference in sound

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I have a few of the tube works tube drivers. 90% of the sound is dependent on the tube used. With an ei12ax7 I can get a really close EJ sound (I think the rest is in the fingers) with my Mesa amp and strat - which tells me they must be pretty close in sound irrespective of tubes. I've tried about a dozen of the tubes that I have heard were the best 12ax/au7s - they all can make a breath-takingly rich overdriven tone, but I really like the sound of a Mullard 12au7 - WOW!! It might not sound like a specific artist with this tube, but I know my sound never sounded better - and this was with a $100 tube works pedal and a $20 tube. After 28 years of playing - and using all kinds of effects I finally ran across one that really impressed me.

I also found that:
- The Sovtek 12ax7lps (which came with the TWTD) was amaziingly soulful, great blues sound w/strat
- The Sovetk 12ax7wxt+, and JJ/Tesla 12ax7 tubes gave better definition to the overdriven sound. The 12ax7wxt+ has this upper mid-range sweet spot that is really nice for notes played above the 12th fret and picked just behind the middle pickup - very much an EJ "Pavilion" sound if I boost the low end and Colin James "Bad Habits" sound if I roll the low end off.
- the ei12ax7 has a sound of it's own. Design wise it looks like they were going for a Mullard smooth plate design, but it's really just distinctive on it's own. The sound I could easyly get out of it were the Clifs of Dover and the start of Desert Rose sound.
- the Electro Harmonics 12ax7eh looks like the Sovtek 12ax7lps (both are made by Sovtek), but the 12ax7eh plate is shorter and the tube sound is kind of a mix of the 12ax7wxt+/jj12ax7 and the 12ax7lps. Not a bad tube at all it was easy to get a sound that was close to other sounds I liked - but no where near as distinctive of a sound as the other Sovtek tubes I tried. To someone else's ears and fingers the 12ax7eh could be just right.

I finally settled on the Mullard though, it does everything better than any other tube I've tried except how the ei12ax7 makes that early EJ sound.

--
Mike

: I've heard alot of debate on this topic...

: I have a Chandler Tube Driver and tried the tube works..

: The Chandler is by and far a better pedal. It sounds incredible and blends nicely with other pedals.

: Gilmour uses two

: Plus, the CTD is an investment, If you search you can get a good deal. Get the pedal and not the rack mount version

: John

:
: : I was wondering which pedal do you think is better, because the chandler you cant get anymore unless its used and you can just go pick up the tube works anywhere. So is there a huge difference in sound

: I have a few of the tube works tube drivers. 90% of the sound is dependent on the tube used. With an ei12ax7 I can get a really close EJ sound (I think the rest is in the fingers) with my Mesa amp and strat - which tells me they must be pretty close in sound irrespective of tubes. I've tried about a dozen of the tubes that I have heard were the best 12ax/au7s - they all can make a breath-takingly rich overdriven tone, but I really like the sound of a Mullard 12au7 - WOW!! It might not sound like a specific artist with this tube, but I know my sound never sounded better - and this was with a $100 tube works pedal and a $20 tube. After 28 years of playing - and using all kinds of effects I finally ran across one that really impressed me.

: I also found that:
: - The Sovtek 12ax7lps (which came with the TWTD) was amaziingly soulful, great blues sound w/strat
: - The Sovetk 12ax7wxt+, and JJ/Tesla 12ax7 tubes gave better definition to the overdriven sound. The 12ax7wxt+ has this upper mid-range sweet spot that is really nice for notes played above the 12th fret and picked just behind the middle pickup - very much an EJ "Pavilion" sound if I boost the low end and Colin James "Bad Habits" sound if I roll the low end off.
: - the ei12ax7 has a sound of it's own. Design wise it looks like they were going for a Mullard smooth plate design, but it's really just distinctive on it's own. The sound I could easyly get out of it were the Clifs of Dover and the start of Desert Rose sound.
: - the Electro Harmonics 12ax7eh looks like the Sovtek 12ax7lps (both are made by Sovtek), but the 12ax7eh plate is shorter and the tube sound is kind of a mix of the 12ax7wxt+/jj12ax7 and the 12ax7lps. Not a bad tube at all it was easy to get a sound that was close to other sounds I liked - but no where near as distinctive of a sound as the other Sovtek tubes I tried. To someone else's ears and fingers the 12ax7eh could be just right.

: I finally settled on the Mullard though, it does everything better than any other tube I've tried except how the ei12ax7 makes that early EJ sound.

: --
: Mike

: : I've heard alot of debate on this topic...

: : I have a Chandler Tube Driver and tried the tube works..

: : The Chandler is by and far a better pedal. It sounds incredible and blends nicely with other pedals.

: : Gilmour uses two

: : Plus, the CTD is an investment, If you search you can get a good deal. Get the pedal and not the rack mount version

: : John

: :
: : : I was wondering which pedal do you think is better, because the chandler you cant get anymore unless its used and you can just go pick up the tube works anywhere. So is there a huge difference in sound

The Chandler versions were built wrong and not by B.K.Butler. They are not near as good in comparison to B.K.'s company Tube Works. Chandlers are basically counterfeits produced during a legal battle for branding rights which B.K. won.

: I have a few of the tube works tube drivers. 90% of the sound is dependent on the tube used. With an ei12ax7 I can get a really close EJ sound (I think the rest is in the fingers) with my Mesa amp and strat - which tells me they must be pretty close in sound irrespective of tubes. I've tried about a dozen of the tubes that I have heard were the best 12ax/au7s - they all can make a breath-takingly rich overdriven tone, but I really like the sound of a Mullard 12au7 - WOW!! It might not sound like a specific artist with this tube, but I know my sound never sounded better - and this was with a $100 tube works pedal and a $20 tube. After 28 years of playing - and using all kinds of effects I finally ran across one that really impressed me.

: I also found that:
: - The Sovtek 12ax7lps (which came with the TWTD) was amaziingly soulful, great blues sound w/strat
: - The Sovetk 12ax7wxt+, and JJ/Tesla 12ax7 tubes gave better definition to the overdriven sound. The 12ax7wxt+ has this upper mid-range sweet spot that is really nice for notes played above the 12th fret and picked just behind the middle pickup - very much an EJ "Pavilion" sound if I boost the low end and Colin James "Bad Habits" sound if I roll the low end off.
: - the ei12ax7 has a sound of it's own. Design wise it looks like they were going for a Mullard smooth plate design, but it's really just distinctive on it's own. The sound I could easyly get out of it were the Clifs of Dover and the start of Desert Rose sound.
: - the Electro Harmonics 12ax7eh looks like the Sovtek 12ax7lps (both are made by Sovtek), but the 12ax7eh plate is shorter and the tube sound is kind of a mix of the 12ax7wxt+/jj12ax7 and the 12ax7lps. Not a bad tube at all it was easy to get a sound that was close to other sounds I liked - but no where near as distinctive of a sound as the other Sovtek tubes I tried. To someone else's ears and fingers the 12ax7eh could be just right.

: I finally settled on the Mullard though, it does everything better than any other tube I've tried except how the ei12ax7 makes that early EJ sound.

: --
: Mike

: : I've heard alot of debate on this topic...

: : I have a Chandler Tube Driver and tried the tube works..

: : The Chandler is by and far a better pedal. It sounds incredible and blends nicely with other pedals.

: : Gilmour uses two

: : Plus, the CTD is an investment, If you search you can get a good deal. Get the pedal and not the rack mount version

: : John

: :
: : : I was wondering which pedal do you think is better, because the chandler you cant get anymore unless its used and you can just go pick up the tube works anywhere. So is there a huge difference in sound

I have the original Tube Works box (3 controls)and was not happy with the sound at all. I tried several different 12AX7s but was still not satisfied. I then tried a tube I have not seen mentioned, it is a Mullard 12AT7, all the sudden I had great string articulation and was able to crank up the drive and tone without it shredding my ears. I also am running it on 12volts not 9.I use it in the clean ch on my Krank Chadwick head and 2X12 Celestion GT12 cab. Think I'll keep it now.

does anybody know the settings for gilmour's 1st tube driver i know the settings for the 2nd just can't get them for the 1st.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.