gilmour effects

Posted by karl on Sun, 04/02/06 - 18:20:34.

what effects do i need to sound like gilmour from ther arly 70s to ther early 80s
iv alreafy got or am getting:
cry baby wah
mxr dnyacomp
mxr phase 90
rat 2
big muff
boss bd2
boss dd6
holy grail reverb with optional flanger
that it what else do i need?
thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: gilmour effects

Basic setup to do Gilmour depends on what all songs you want to play. There's certain effects he used in periods. The basics is a good overdrive and a fuzz of some sort (IE...Boss BD-2 and a Big Muff) and delay/echo. Any delay will work but digital ones tend to sound Brassy to most ears. An analog delay or echo pedal is usually the better way to go. In the 70's he used an old echo box. But Ibanez makes a cheap delay/echo that if you use the echo setting sounds really great! Ibanez DE-7 is the model number. But again any delay will work...

As for other effects...it just depends on what songs you want to play. The only time he used a wah back then was really for the song ECHOES...and he actually hooked it up backwards to make the seagull sounds in the middle of the song. He didn't actually use it as a wah though to make wah sounds.

Phasers he really only used on like Have A Cigar and parts of Shine On.

Flanger he used mostly on The Wall. If you've got Reverb on your amp and want to use the flanger side of the EH Grail. That's fine. If your amp has no reverb then you might need to consider a different pedal.

Compressor. He used here and there but in general he only used it from around 1975 Wish You Were Here till present day...so anything older like Dark Side he didn't use it on.

He used a Uni-Vibe on Dark Side of the Moon for Breathe, Brain Damage and Eclipse.

That's about it. A chorus pedal here and there I think but mostly that's it.

Up until 1975's Wish You Were Here he used:
Vox Wah (Ran Backwards for Echoes)
Orange Treble Booster (To overdrive the amp...which any good Overdrive will simulate.
Fuzz Face
And a Binson Echo.

That's basically all he had up through Dark Side Of The Moon. On Dark Side of The Moon he added the Univibe. For Wish You Were Here he picked up the Compressor, and Phaser. For Animals he switched to a Big Muff from a Fuzz Face. He also used a Talk Box on Pigs. Finally on the Wall he added a Flanger. That's basically it. But it all depends on what songs your playing really...

: what effects do i need to sound like gilmour from ther arly 70s to ther early 80s
: iv alreafy got or am getting:
: cry baby wah
: mxr dnyacomp
: mxr phase 90
: rat 2
: big muff
: boss bd2
: boss dd6
: holy grail reverb with optional flanger
: that it what else do i need?
: thanks

Re: gilmour effects

and how does he set one's delay? and which effects does he use when he plays his beautiful bottleneck's part on "saucerful of secrets" at pompei?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2019 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.