1940's Silvertone Lap Steel (Made by Kay?)

Posted by Ric on Fri, 01/27/06 - 12:37:30.
In Reply to Vintage Guitars

I have a 1940's Silvertone lap steel in almost mint condition. It has a fingerboard covered by some sort of plexiglass, the instrument cable is permanently attached and the volume and tone controls are brown bakeolite.
It has one large silver metal pickup (Kay?), a wide brown stripe about the width of the headstock below the pickup and has the original chipboard case lined in green.
Can anyone tell me about this instrument and if it's worth collecting.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: 1940's Silvertone Lap Steel (Made by Kay?)

I have one of these steels for sale myself, I think they're great and very collectable. Yours, mine and one other are the only ones I've seen or heard of and I've been in the business for 10 years. I can't say they're rediculously rare or worth a ton of money, but its a good steel with a great pickup.

Ric,
I have one exactly like it. Except I had a jack put on mine to do away with the crusty aged attached cable. Pots work great and the pickup sounds fantastic. Just saw a mint condition one for sale for $450.00. I'd say it is collectable. I was not sure what decade it was from but guessed the 40's. I was given the Magnatone Amp that was purchased new with it and found a sight showing the amp was from the 40's also.

Do any of you guys know what the model number of the guitar is. I just bought a similar 40's Silvertone Lap Steel but mine has the added feature of custom Geib case with a 1939/1940 Supertone tube amp attached to a 1940 Jensen built right in. This was not a kit made by someone but was actually sold by Silvertone this way. Know one on the planet seems to know anything about this model. Just looking for info. By the way, this combo is on near perfect shape.

: Do any of you guys know what the model number of the guitar is. I just bought a similar 40's Silvertone Lap Steel but mine has the added feature of custom Geib case with a 1939/1940 Supertone tube amp attached to a 1940 Jensen speaker built right in. This was not a kit made by someone but was actually sold by Silvertone this way. No one on the planet seems to know anything about this model. Just looking for info. By the way, this combo is in near perfect shape.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.