Re: Oasis electric guitar

Advertisement
Posted by Ric Duff on Sun, 07/25/10 - 04:01:18.

: : : : : Has anyone heard of Oasis guitars? I have an electric, double cutaway, matched flame maple body (not just the top, but the whole body!), gold hardware, with early Bartolini Beasty? humbuckers and an ebony fretboard on a maple neck. I bought it new in Denver around 1979 - 1980. The body style resembles an Alembic. I have searched the web high and low without any results. The Oasis factory was in California, I belive. Any information would be appreciated.

: : : Hi, Oasis Guitars was located in Sacramento,CA. Gary Cooper was the luthier, formerly from Alembic and the Grateful Dead. I happen to own the prototype model for your guitar. Mine was all hand built by Gary and his partner-in-crime,Louis Armstrong(not that one). My instrument is made of of Koa-2 piece bookend matched flame koa...hand beveled top with white-black-white binding on the body and neck. The serial number is 018. It was shown in the 1976 Winter NAMM Show in L.A. I received it in late October of 1975. I have since replaced the Hi-A pickups with Seymour Duncans(What other pickups would possbly be worthy?)It's great to find other owners of these guitars...I've got pics if you'd be interested. My Oasis logged some serious study time in L.A. in the late '70's and '80's. I love this thing...I'm sure you feel the same about yours. You can reach me at: jelly_mojoboy@hotmail.com

: :
: : Hi All:
: : I also am an Oasis owner. Met Gary Cooper around 1980 or so in Sacramento where my band was playing. What a great guy. Made me a guitar from scratch, inlaid my initials in it, had me over to his house to see the progress while he made it; an incredible experience meeting this guy. God rest his soul. I can't seem to find any other guitar as perfect for me as this one; Gary let me design the electronics, and of course he did everything else. Amazing piece of mahogany body, one-piece ebony fretboard, strip of micarta (not sure of spelling- it's a linen composite material) thru the neck (to eliminate dead spots), etc. Would LOVE to hear from other Oasis owners... email is: scottyrocker@cox.net

Hello All.
I also had the fortune of meeting Gary Cooper in 1980.
He was kind enough to build me a Oasis Electric Bass.
Koa Body, Bartolini pick-ups, hand carved top w/ black and white binding. He made a perfect instrument for me! To this day it still my favorite. My instrument is the matching sister bass to Scott Shuett's guitar. An amazing instrument! Gary was an artist! God rest his soul. Anyone who spent any time with Mr. Cooper will agree. A great guy and became a good friend. ....Would love to hear from other Oasis owners as well. My email: ric@denricentertainment.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.