Richter Mfg Company, Chicago

Posted by Carol Marts on Wed, 10/16/02 - 18:51:17.

I am trying to find a mailing address or phone number for Richter Mfg Co. Chicago,Ill. I have a guitar made many years ago and Richter was the maker of this guitar.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Richter Mfg Company, Chicago

:
: I am trying to find a mailing address or phone number for Richter Mfg Co. Chicago,Ill. I have a guitar made many years ago and Richter was the maker of this guitar.

I just recently had a Richter Guitar come into my possession. I'd like any information about the guitar and/or the Richter Mfg Co of chicago, Ill.

:
: I am trying to find a mailing address or phone number for Richter Mfg Co. Chicago,Ill. I have a guitar made many years ago and Richter was the maker of this guitar.

I just picked up a guitar that on the inside has the name Richter and the date going back to 1931. The only thing that I have found out about the maker is that it was sold through Mongomery Wards...

Jack

:

i was wondering if you found the address of the richter mfg.co, we have a guitar that dates back in the early 30s and cant seem to find out anything. thanks

:
: : I am trying to find a mailing address or phone number for Richter Mfg Co. Chicago,Ill. I have a guitar made many years ago and Richter was the maker of this guitar.

: :
I have a richter guitar mftd. in sept. 1937 my dad had. do you have any info on this co?

:
: i was wondering if you found the address of the richter mfg.co, we have a guitar that dates back in the early 30s and cant seem to find out anything. thanks

: : : I am trying to find a mailing address or phone number for Richter Mfg Co. Chicago,Ill. I have a guitar made many years ago and Richter was the maker of this guitar.

: : :
: I have a richter guitar mftd. in sept. 1937 my dad had. do you have any info on this co?

: : i was wondering if you found the address of the richter mfg.co, we have a guitar that dates back in the early 30s and cant seem to find out anything. thanks

:
: : :
: : : : I am trying to find a mailing address or phone number for Richter Mfg Co. Chicago,Ill. I have a guitar made many years ago and Richter was the maker of this guitar.

Heres what I found for you all
The Richter Mfg. Co. was founded at Chicago, IL by Carl H. Richter in 1926 to market instruments under the Sweetheart brand name. They were no longer listed in 1944.
and that is it .

1921 richter parlor?

I have an old Richter in great playable shape' I thought it was 1930s but inside I found a stamp marked Richter 821. I've read this is how they were dated and not serial numbered. Is that true? Does anyone have info on the Richter company or this guitar. I'd never sell it but I can't help and wonder its value. I paid only 40 dollars today for it, and I have to imagine if it is 1921 then it at least qualified around 250 since its not rosewood or high end. Any if info helps' Joey

Richter Mfg. Co.

From The Music Trade Review The Richter Mfg. Co. was formed sometime before 1920 and was producing guitars and other stringed instruments from 1923 and possibly earlier. It was founded by Charles Richter and at his death in 1920 was run by his son Carl. Their factory was located at 2532 Irving Park Boulevard, Chicago.

Their initial success in the 1920's was with the ‘Sweetheart’ brand of Ukulele. The 1930’s seemed to be busy years for the Richter company, selling through they own brand and through distributors. They also had an arrangement with Montgomery Ward, who sold Richter guitars through the mail order system. I could not find the reason however Richter ceased trading in 1943 or 1944.

Most of their guitars are of medium quality all birch body instruments with a rounded chunky, yet comfortable neck. A lot of, but not all, Richter branded guitars have the distinctive ‘gumby’ style headstock with the small paper ‘Richter’ label in a script font on the front of the headstock and ‘RICHTER MFG. CO. CHICAGO, ILL.’ impressed into the wood on the back. They also usually have the word ‘RICHTER’ stamped in ink onto a thin piece of wood that is glued (sometimes haphazardly) to the heel plate on the inside of the guitar. On this heel plate can also be stamped the manufacture date or a serial number. Guitars that carry a distributors brand such as B & J Serenader still have this stamp inside the guitar.

Richter made some cowboy stencil guitars that were sold by Montgomery Ward, ‘The Plainsman’ from 1938-1941, ‘Home on the Range’ from 1938-1939, ‘Red Foley in 1940 and ‘Corral/Rodeo Scene, also in 1940. Richter also made two Hawaiian stencil guitars that I know of.

Values of a Richter guitar in good condition tend to be $200-$300 on ebay but much less with any damage.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.