Richter Mfg Guitar

Posted by Carol on Thu, 07/18/02 - 20:27:07.

Please help!!!! I have a classical guitar made at Richter Mfg
in Chicago, Ill. This guitar was bought 2nd hand by my Mother
in the 1930's. I would like to find out how much it is worth.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Richter Mfg Guitar

: Please help!!!! I have a classical guitar made at Richter Mfg
: in Chicago, Ill. This guitar was bought 2nd hand by my Mother
: in the 1930's. I would like to find out how much it is worth.

: : Please help!!!! I have a classical guitar made at Richter Mfg
: : in Chicago, Ill. This guitar was bought 2nd hand by my Mother
: : in the 1930's. I would like to find out how much it is worth.

I also have a acoustic and am unable to find any reference
to the mfg anywhere? good luck if I do come up with something I'll post it.

I was just given a Richter Guitar by my grandfather that his brother played in the early to late 30's and I would like to know how much it is worth too. If I can find anything I will post it here for you.

Richter Guitar

I have an old Richter Guitar that is really old and has inside of it the stamp that it was made in 1929. It is in it's original shape and has several flower like decals on the sides of the front and on the bottom front. It still has all of the original pegs in it, but is missing the front
string/nut holder. The tuning keys are working properly and are very tiny in size. It is a double opening front,double tuner,peg type and the pegs are made of Brass. It has a small hairline crack in the lower front of it of about 4 inches long that could easily be repaired and the outside of the guitar is all sturdy, but needs to be refinished if someone wanted to make it NEW LOOKING. The Fret Board is in good shape also. It was from someone in my family for years and got handed down to me, since I play the guitar. Does anyone know what it would be worth? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Malcolm Cotton, cotton383814@bellsouth.net.

Richter Guitars

From The Music Trade Review The Richter Mfg. Co. was formed sometime before 1920 and was producing guitars and other stringed instruments from 1923 and possibly earlier. It was founded by Charles Richter and at his death in 1920 was run by his son Carl. Their factory was located at 2532 Irving Park Boulevard, Chicago.

Their initial success in the 1920's was with the ‘Sweetheart’ brand of Ukulele. The 1930’s seemed to be busy years for the Richter company, selling through they own brand and through distributors. They also had an arrangement with Montgomery Ward, who sold Richter guitars through the mail order system. I could not find the reason however Richter ceased trading in 1943 or 1944.

Most of their guitars are of medium quality all birch body instruments with a rounded chunky, yet comfortable neck. A lot of, but not all, Richter branded guitars have the distinctive ‘gumby’ style headstock with the small paper ‘Richter’ label in a script font on the front of the headstock and ‘RICHTER MFG. CO. CHICAGO, ILL.’ impressed into the wood on the back. They also usually have the word ‘RICHTER’ stamped in ink onto a thin piece of wood that is glued (sometimes haphazardly) to the heel plate on the inside of the guitar. On this heel plate can also be stamped the manufacture date or a serial number. Guitars that carry a distributors brand such as B & J Serenader still have this stamp inside the guitar.

Richter made some cowboy stencil guitars that were sold by Montgomery Ward, ‘The Plainsman’ from 1938-1941, ‘Home on the Range’ from 1938-1939, ‘Red Foley in 1940 and ‘Corral/Rodeo Scene, also in 1940. Richter also made two Hawaiian stencil guitars that I know of.

Values of a Richter guitar in good condition tend to be $200-$300 on ebay but much less with any damage.

I just picked up a 1929 Richter acoustic and I can't find squat on it. Keep me in the loop if you guys find anything.

I have a Richter guitar and the name and date of mfg is posted inside the body at the base of the neck. Take a small mirror and flashlight and you can see it. Mine is dated Nov 1937 with a #5 stamped inside the body. Some guitars have this stamped inside the body.

: I just picked up a 1929 Richter acoustic and I can't find squat on it. Keep me in the loop if you guys find anything.

I just picked up a Hawaiian Guitar from the Paramount Conservatory of Music I don't really have any more info on that. Can anyone help?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.