Re: Diastone Guitars

Posted by Jimmy Watts on Thu, 09/06/07 - 05:38:44.

I have (loaned from my dad) a Diastone W-700 acoustic 6 string, has a thick neck and an unusual brigde, there is a metal plate with two screws holding up the bone piece. It sounds so nice I thought i would get some sort of pick up put in it so i could use it live, and the guitar store man told me it was a plywood top and that it wasn't worth the expense of putting any type (not even the cheapest of cheap) pick ups in it. Upon my return home and thourough inspection I still can't be sure, but I'm swaying towards a laminated ply top unfortunately. It still sounds amazing.
I'm asking the same question every else is though, what's it worth? Is there really some rich collector of mysterious phantom guitar brands willing pay to ungodly amounts of money for it? Did anyone else luck out with the Plywood top? where do baby's come from? and is it still worth putting a pick up in it?
Think my dad bought it for a $300-$400 Australian some time in the 70's. drop us a line if anyone actually found anything out about Diastone jimmy_watts84@hotmail.com or if you are on of those rich collectors of mysterious phantom brands. Or if you too have a Diastone that looks ply

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Diastone guitar

I purchased a Diastone SF 118 from a small shop in Portland about 25 years ago while on a business trip. I couldn't leave town without it. Paid around 200 for it. It reminded me of the Martin D18 I bought in the late 70's that I latter had to sell. It has the mahogany back and sides like a D18 but the binding and back stripe of a D28. So it looks like a D28 but sounds more like a D18. The guy at the shop told me that these were Martin copies made in Japan during the 70's. He said the S stood for solid top and the F stood for folk guitar. The 118 was in reference to the Martin D18 and 28 series. The two 1's and a 8 = 28 and the last two 18. It's a combo Martin D18 and D28. Very warm and rich sound. It's as good or better then my friends more expensive Breedlove or Taylor. It's the only one I've ever seen. I don't know what they are worth but they are a quality instrument.

W-700

The w-700 is LAMINATED %100... Some old guy was selling it, and SWORE it was solid top.. I kept asking him because he was a far drive, he said he 'knows a lot about guitars' and it was '%110 solid top'.... I get there... it was laminated.. wow old dudes are so stubborn, kept swearing it was solid even while Im pointing out the layers to him and showing him how the grain does not wrap around. Just posting this so nobody else wastes their time driving..

I purchased a W-700 today from a guitar repair guy I've known for 30 years.Cost me $400. He thought it was a solid top, but having read your post then checking it out closely, this time with my glasses on, it does appear to be laminated.
Who cares? This guitar is in fantastic shape, plays beautifully and sound brilliant. One of the nicest I've played. It's replacing a solid top Korean Ibanez Artwood which has pulled itself out of shape over the eight years I've owned it whereas the Diastone "plywood" top is still in perfect shape after 30+ years. I wouldn't be too worried about putting a pick-up in it as they're obviously tough little critters.

: I purchased a W-700 today from a guitar repair guy I've known for 30 years.Cost me $400. He thought it was a solid top, but having read your post then checking it out closely, this time with my glasses on, it does appear to be laminated.
: Who cares? This guitar is in fantastic shape, plays beautifully and sound brilliant. One of the nicest I've played. It's replacing a solid top Korean Ibanez Artwood which has pulled itself out of shape over the eight years I've owned it whereas the Diastone "plywood" top is still in perfect shape after 30+ years. I wouldn't be too worried about putting a pick-up in it as they're obviously tough little critters.

.and 2 1/2 years later I've checked again and I was wrong. The W-700 has a solid top. Mine looked laminated because it had been relacquered at some stage and it gave the effect of looking like ply in the sound hole. But the grain in the timber goes right through the "ply" so it can't be. No wonder it sounds so good. I nearly bought a Martin last week but pulled out of the deal because it simply was not better than this beautiful little guitar. One thing I have noticed with this more than any other folk guitar I've owned is how is literally comes alive when played in a room with excellent acoustics. I love it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.