Playtime Guitars

Advertisement
Posted by Charles L. Carbaugh on Fri, 03/21/08 - 10:20:12.
In Reply to Guitars Man

Would like information on when, where "Playtime" Guitars produced. Word of mouth is they were built by Kay in the 40' and 50's as a low end knockoff for sale like Silvertone was sold by Sears. Possible outlets were Western Auto. Would like to communicate with owners as the one I have was handed down by my father.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Playtime Guitar

I have a Playtime archtop guitar that belonged to my Grandmother. It was coming apart when my Dad gave it to me and a lot of the finish was worn off from being played so much.. I put it back together, refinished it, and added 2 piezo pickups and a stereo endpin jack. Not a lot of these have survived the test of time. When they would come apart people would throw them away since they were low end guitars. What little you can fine on the internet says thay were made in Chicago by Harmony, and were sold as a low end guitars by Sears in 1943 and 1944. The years are pretty close to right since she bought it new when my Dad was just a boy. Hope that helps!

Cliff

Playtime guitars

I have a playtime that was made before 1916 that was when it was bought used

Re: Playtime Guitars

I have a Playtime Archtop handed down from my great grandfather. He bought it in the 30's or 40's. That is all i know. It does seem to be a low end guitar as the flame maple is just a paint job (not actual maple).
Any information on these guitars would be appreciated as well.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.