Diastone guitar

Posted by Sheila Coupal on Sat, 09/27/08 - 18:27:06.
In Reply to Guitars Man

I have a GW 65 diastone guitar that I want to sell. I bought it in the early '70s in Ottawa Canada. But I don't know what to ask for it. I heard it was made in Japan for Gibson when they were on strike.Is this true? It is a 6 string acoustic and is a red colour and in excellent shape.Looking forward for your reply.Thank you.
Sheila...pscoup@yahoo.com

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Diastone guitar

: Can ya send/or post me the serial numbers so I can see if it helps to date my own which is either a 63,69,0r 1971 thanks mikeseaburn@comcast.net
: I have a GW 65 diastone guitar that I want to sell. I bought it in the early '70s in Ottawa Canada. But I don't know what to ask for it. I heard it was made in Japan for Gibson when they were on strike.Is this true? It is a 6 string acoustic and is a red colour and in excellent shape.Looking forward for your reply.Thank you.
: Sheila...pscoup@yahoo.com

Sheila, I have a Diastone 12-string WGT-65 that I recently bought from a guy who paid $435 in 1971 in Toronto. In today's dollar that is about $2330. Having said that though, I cannot find any information about this guitar. I have asked vintage guitar experts and they are all stumped. My 12-string plays very sweetly and has great intonation. It sounds as good as any 12-string Gibson or Takemine, I have played. I bought mine for $750 just the other day. I held off finalizing the deal until I could determine if it was worth it, but as I mentioned, no one, and I mean NO ONE (except for this forum and one guy with a FLICR photo dossier) has heard of this guitar. So how do you value it?? I guess the only way is to sample a few guitars that cost sound better and worse and then average the price between them all. So my advice, charge $750, seems like a good value.

iwaskow1@sympatico.ca

Diastone Guitar

I have a Takemine Diastone 12 string purchased in the late 60's - cannot find out much about it but have been told that the company Diastone was taken over by Takemine and that is where the model came from. I would like to know a bit more about it - have not played it in years and was wondering if it is worth spending the money on to get it set up and re-strung etc ??
Takemine web site has no record of this guitar - any info will be of help:

: Sheila, I have a Diastone 12-string WGT-65 that I recently bought from a guy who paid $435 in 1971 in Toronto. In today's dollar that is about $2330. Having said that though, I cannot find any information about this guitar. I have asked vintage guitar experts and they are all stumped. My 12-string plays very sweetly and has great intonation. It sounds as good as any 12-string Gibson or Takemine, I have played. I bought mine for $750 just the other day. I held off finalizing the deal until I could determine if it was worth it, but as I mentioned, no one, and I mean NO ONE (except for this forum and one guy with a FLICR photo dossier) has heard of this guitar. So how do you value it?? I guess the only way is to sample a few guitars that cost sound better and worse and then average the price between them all. So my advice, charge $750, seems like a good value.

: iwaskow1@sympatico.ca

Not that it,s much help but I have a Diastone Bass (Fender Precision copy ), In a collectible guitar book my friend had I came across something on DiasTone, if I remember well Dias Tone made copies of Fender ( and obviously Gibson too ) Using the same quality wood & similar hardware, the only thing that was cheaper was the pick-ups & knobs. My bass has the exact body of a precision model, the neck is almost the same ( beter in my opinion ). I think it was made in southern U.S.A. but I could be wrong.

Diastone guitar

I have a Diastone 6 string acoustic which I bought new in the mid seventies for $130. I've always loved how it plays and sounds (better than some others which are supposed to better quality) but have never had any work done to it. Now the bridge has come loose and there is damage to the top which is not a solid top. My local luthier says he can repair it and replace some frets for $150 which I feel is reasonable but I'm debating whether to invest any money in it or replace it. I've been reading that some Diastones were basically copies of Martin, Gibson, Tak or Yamaha. This is a model FG-60 red sunburst with laminated spruce top and when I bought it I thought it was very close to a Yamaha (who also made a FG60). Does anyone else have this model and do you know if this might have been made by Yamaha or as a copy? Also what would current value be if in good shape? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

FG-60 Diastone guitar

I also own an FG-60 Diastone guitar purchased in the late 70's. It was given to me as a gift so I don't know what the original price was. The pickguard was painted with hummingbirds which tells me that it was a copy of the Gibson Hummingbird although most of the painting is wore off now after 45 years of usage. It has been and still is a great little guitar and like yourself I have done nothing to it other than change the strings occasionally. Like Gibson and Martins and other high end guitars, it just seems to get better with age. I would be interested in hearing from you to . Ron

diastone guitars

I own a Diastone W65-DA, which is a Gibson White Dove copy. I bought the guitar at a car-boot sale in Liverpool for £10. The guitar was a wreck, bridge coming away from the body, bracing broken, nut broken, machine-head missing, a very sad example of what had obviously been a decent guitar. The guitar languished about the house, on the wall as an ornament, an occasional kid's plaything, but I was always curious about it's origins, and it's playability but was reluctant to pay for what I knew would be an expensive restoration job. I finally bit the bullet and took it to a local luthier who's very well thought of in the business, and he said he'd do the job for £210, and I gave him the go ahead and parted with the cash. Result? ... the nicest acoustic guitar I've ever owned in 47 years of owning and playing guitars. My son has a Taylor, and this Diastone knocks spots off it, it sounds incredible, and now he wants it. I think these guitars are little hidden gems from the Law Suit era that have yet to be discovered by the vintage guitar market, and I'm on the lookout for another while they're still affordable.

The other day I was looking through craig's list and was shocked to see a red 12 string with a very unique pick guard. It was the same pick guard that should have been on a Yamaha FG-300 red label I bought a couple of years ago. The Yamaha is an amazing 6 string. I bought the 12 string, a Diastone and I'm sure it was made in the same factory as the Yamaha in the early 70s. The person I bought my Diastone from, and who had a lot of older japanese guitars, said it was the Matsumoku Guitar factory. My guitar, by the way, sound awesome!

: : Sheila, I have a Diastone 12-string WGT-65 that I recently bought from a guy who paid $435 in 1971 in Toronto. In today's dollar that is about $2330. Having said that though, I cannot find any information about this guitar. I have asked vintage guitar experts and they are all stumped. My 12-string plays very sweetly and has great intonation. It sounds as good as any 12-string Gibson or Takemine, I have played. I bought mine for $750 just the other day. I held off finalizing the deal until I could determine if it was worth it, but as I mentioned, no one, and I mean NO ONE (except for this forum and one guy with a FLICR photo dossier) has heard of this guitar. So how do you value it?? I guess the only way is to sample a few guitars that cost sound better and worse and then average the price between them all. So my advice, charge $750, seems like a good value.

: : iwaskow1@sympatico.ca

: Not that it,s much help but I have a Diastone Bass (Fender Precision copy ), In a collectible guitar book my friend had I came across something on DiasTone, if I remember well Dias Tone made copies of Fender ( and obviously Gibson too ) Using the same quality wood & similar hardware, the only thing that was cheaper was the pick-ups & knobs. My bass has the exact body of a precision model, the neck is almost the same ( beter in my opinion ). I think it was made in southern U.S.A. but I could be wrong.

Are you 100% sure you bought it in 71'?
I have a WGT-65 and really want to know how old it really is. Thanks any information would be helpfull

: : : Sheila, I have a Diastone 12-string WGT-65 that I recently bought from a guy who paid $435 in 1971 in Toronto. In today's dollar that is about $2330. Having said that though, I cannot find any information about this guitar. I have asked vintage guitar experts and they are all stumped. My 12-string plays very sweetly and has great intonation. It sounds as good as any 12-string Gibson or Takemine, I have played. I bought mine for $750 just the other day. I held off finalizing the deal until I could determine if it was worth it, but as I mentioned, no one, and I mean NO ONE (except for this forum and one guy with a FLICR photo dossier) has heard of this guitar. So how do you value it?? I guess the only way is to sample a few guitars that cost sound better and worse and then average the price between them all. So my advice, charge $750, seems like a good value.

: : : iwaskow1@sympatico.ca

: : Not that it,s much help but I have a Diastone Bass (Fender Precision copy ), In a collectible guitar book my friend had I came across something on DiasTone, if I remember well Dias Tone made copies of Fender ( and obviously Gibson too ) Using the same quality wood & similar hardware, the only thing that was cheaper was the pick-ups & knobs. My bass has the exact body of a precision model, the neck is almost the same ( beter in my opinion ). I think it was made in southern U.S.A. but I could be wrong.

: Are you 100% sure you bought it in 71'?
: I have a WGT-65 and really want to know how old it really is. Thanks any information would be helpfull

Are you 100% sure you bought it in 71'?
I have a WGT-65 and really want to know how old it really is. Thanks any information would be helpful
email me at christina.french@hotmail.com

DaisTone Les Paul

I have a Daistone Les Paul that I got from my Grandfather in 1988. He had it ever since I can remember which is around 1980. I'm sure he had it longer than that but I was born in 77. He's dead now so can't ask him. I just wanted to try and get some info on it, like what it could be worth, when and were it was made? Its a beautiful star burst colour. Plays awesome, sounds great. That's all I know

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.