Aria model A542F, serial 00065

Advertisement
Posted by j.v. on Sat, 03/22/08 - 20:39:14.

i can't find any information on this classical guitar-- not on the aria homepage or through any other discussions or forums. i know the guitar is old-- at least 1960's, and was made in japan -- there is an ink stamp (which is mostly illegible) that has the city name "fukuoka" (export city? made in?) and "...by Arai," though i din't know if he personally made it. has anybody ever heard of the model 542? (A542f)? and if so, can you tell me anything about it? (type of wood, year made, etc).

thanks much,

jordan.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Aria 542-FS SN#13

By the way, I'm guessing from some of the posts I've read that some 542's had mahogany sides, so I suppose the FS on my model indicates that it is a Flamenco Spruce since mine is all blond...Blanca??

Aria A542F, SN# 00023

Bought this for 75 bucks, had the bridge redone, and the action lowered a bit. Solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides and back. Aged wood...sounds like a dream!

Aria 542-FS SN#13

I bought this guitar in 1969(?) from the House of Music in the Ala Moana Shopping Center in Honolulu. Don't remember what I paid.

I had been a flamenco fan since getting my first Carlos Montoya recording, and the wood friction pegs sold me on it.

The decal inside the hole has the Aria logo, Model and serial number. In addition, there is an oval ink stamp approximately 2" wide centered on the right edge of the decal, so half on the decal and half on the wood. The center of the oval has a logo in the style of the decal logo, but this is spelled Arai. Above that in smaller normal print it says "Supervised by", so: Supervised by Arai?? On the outer ring of the oval it says "Ryoji Matsuoka Luthier". I assume all of this means Matsuoka was making guitars for Aria at this time under the supervision of Arai??

(OK, a google search produced the following paragraph and has cleared this up-cut and pasted from http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/)

"For a few years during the 1960s and early 1970s , Matsuoka produced the higher end Aria guitar models for Shiro Arai, founder of Aria . These Aria models either have Ryoji Matsuoka's name on the label or are marked RM with a red stamp on the neck block. Matsuoka also made some models for Ibanez, including a few steel string flatop and archtop models."

Having said all of that, I have loved this guitar since the day I bought it, but like my first wife, I wish I had been a lot more considerate of her! It has some definite wear and a small crack and a few dings, but the playability and sound is still excellent, and so lightweight! The clear plastic tap plate de-laminated years ago (too many trips to the beach??) so I replaced it with a white plastic one of my own design.

I also broke a few pegs over the years, so a local violin shop did all new pegs.

If you reply to this I'll be notified, so if anyone wants to see pictures leave your email address.

Aria A542F, SN# 00023

Bought this for 75 bucks, had the bridge redone, and the action lowered a bit. Solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides and back. Aged wood...sounds like a dream!

A 542FS

Me too...I have Serial number 000128. Got it a long time ago in Sacramento. The Model # is: A542FS.

It's probably worth about the same $100 I bought it for, but one never knows I suppose. Mine will be donated soon no doubt to someone who might have a better feel for music or want an old guitar that looks like it's worth something.

I think I bought this when I was in my late 20's or early 30's and now I'm 68. It needs to be 50 years old, I think, to at least be a collectible, tho.

It's interesting that the name of the guitar is Aria, when the maker's name is Arai as shown inside the guitar.

I own the same guitar! My

I own the same guitar! My dad bought it at a guitar shop in Modesto, CA, when i was 2 years old...so that would have been 1974. incredible sound. They'll bury me with this guitar. i've had it since I was 10 yrs old and it's still in pristine shape. Would love to know its value.

Aria guitar with pegs

I also own an Aria A542FS, Serial no. 00002. I bought it in San Mateo, California in 1970 for one hundred dollars. Not that I would ever part with it, but I wonder what it could be worth now?

Aria guitar with pegs

I also own an Aria A542FS, Serial no. 00002. I bought it in San Mateo, California in 1970 for one hundred dollars. Not that I would ever part with it, but I wonder what it could be worth now?

Re: Aria model A542F, serial 00065

I own an Aria A542F; bought it in 1971 or 1972 in Turlock,CA at Hendrickson Music Store. I am also trying to find information.

Larry

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.