gibson electra

Posted by Steve Radek on Thu, 11/01/01 - 16:06:30.

Got a brain buster for you. I have an old electric guitar. I bought it in a pawn shop in 1982. It has ELECTRA inlaid across the head with what looks like a torch and flame also. These are mother of pearl. Inlain on the neck is also mother of pearl and a vine tree of life. The body looks hand carved with the vines and leaves, and thereis a custom tag. I had once been told it was a harmony but the designs are completely different. It definately has the gibson design. can anyone help me to completely identify this guitar and if any type of history behind it. I would appreciate any help in this. thanks

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: gibson electra

: Got a brain buster for you. I have an old electric guitar. I bought it in a pawn shop in 1982. It has ELECTRA inlaid across the head with what looks like a torch and flame also. These are mother of pearl. Inlain on the neck is also mother of pearl and a vine tree of life. The body looks hand carved with the vines and leaves, and thereis a custom tag. I had once been told it was a harmony but the designs are completely different. It definately has the gibson design. can anyone help me to completely identify this guitar and if any type of history behind it. I would appreciate any help in this. thanks

It is an Electra Super-magnum.
See about two-thirds down the page:
http://www.zuko.com/generation/Music_Musicians_Cove_Guitar_Museum_Electra.asp

My brother had one in the late 70's. Nice guitar. Didn't look "metal" enough for him so it moved on about 1983-4

Yeah my uncle also owns one as well it look like it is modeled after a les paul gibson

: Got a brain buster for you. I have an old electric guitar. I bought it in a pawn shop in 1982. It has ELECTRA inlaid across the head with what looks like a torch and flame also. These are mother of pearl. Inlain on the neck is also mother of pearl and a vine tree of life. The body looks hand carved with the vines and leaves, and thereis a custom tag. I had once been told it was a harmony but the designs are completely different. It definately has the gibson design. can anyone help me to completely identify this guitar and if any type of history behind it. I would appreciate any help in this. thanks

Hi Steve
Does your guitar look like a 335 gibson? Are the controll knobs straight forword and a knob for the efects in front? Is there a battery in the rear compartment? What color? It could be a mpc electra x810. If it is I may be interested. My email mitchm1@toolcity.net Thank you

x810 serial no 22769

ITS AN ELECTRIC BATTERY ON THE BACK,AND 4 VOLUMES AND 2FLIP SWITCH,AND 2 PICK UPS 5TUNERS, NECK IS INLAIED W/MOTHER OF PERAL. CAN YOU SEND ME A PIC OF WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR?? THIS GUITAR IS IN ORGIONAL CONDITION.WONDERFUL WORKING CONDITION!! HAS BEEN KEPT UP!

: : Got a brain buster for you. I have an old electric guitar. I bought it in a pawn shop in 1982. It has ELECTRA inlaid across the head with what looks like a torch and flame also. These are mother of pearl. Inlain on the neck is also mother of pearl and a vine tree of life. The body looks hand carved with the vines and leaves, and thereis a custom tag. I had once been told it was a harmony but the designs are completely different. It definately has the gibson design. can anyone help me to completely identify this guitar and if any type of history behind it. I would appreciate any help in this. thanks

: Hi Steve
: Does your guitar look like a 335 gibson? Are the controll knobs straight forword and a knob for the efects in front? Is there a battery in the rear compartment? What color? It could be a mpc electra x810. If it is I may be interested. My email mitchm1@toolcity.net Thank you

The guitar I am trying to find information on the second electra semi-hollow body that I have come across. Both are Les Paul type copies (actually very fine copies in some respects better than Gibson's). The first was a beautiful guitar that turned out to be hot (of course the jerk that sold it to me said it wasn't) so when I found out I returned it to its rightful owner. I LOVED that guitar, and figured the owner must have as well.

Anyway, I now have another Electra that resembles your description above except for the "335" part (this one is not nearly as sweet as the first but a nice instrument nonetheless). It is a Les Paul style with a stained (mahogany? deep stained maple?) and clear-coated finish. Black and white binding (at least 4 or 5 layers)are at the edges of the back and top. There are abalone trapazoids inlaid in the frettboard and more abalone forming the logo across the headstock.

The controls are not Les Paul. There IS a compartment for some kind of electronic unit (very interesting) and two cutouts that look like 9v battery compartments behind a hinged door on the back. A 5-way selector switch is in the location where you'd find a standard pickup selector on a Gibson. There are four control pots, of which two appear to be integrated with the mysterious electronic unit, the other two appear to be volume and tone controls. There are also two DPDT switches with large phenolic knobs that appear to be phase switches for each humbucker.

I say appears because someone has removed the neck pickup and tried to wire it so that it would function without it. Thankfully, they were unsuccessful and stopped the modification with minimal alteration/damage. However, in its current condition it does not produce sound. I am relatively familiar with guitar wiring (having wired (and re-wired) and built several guitars) but am a little reluctant to dig into this gem without some reliable information. My first guess would be that the 5-way might be like the 5-way switches found on PRS semi-hollowbodies but, of course, this is a guess. I have not yet compared it to PRS wiring diagrams to be sure.

If you could point me in the right direction to focus my research I would be very thankful. I've only just begun this quest but if this guitar plays anything like the first that I had, it will be well worth it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

David

: The guitar I am trying to find information on the second electra semi-hollow body that I have come across. Both are Les Paul type copies (actually very fine copies in some respects better than Gibson's). The first was a beautiful guitar that turned out to be hot (of course the jerk that sold it to me said it wasn't) so when I found out I returned it to its rightful owner. I LOVED that guitar, and figured the owner must have as well.

: Anyway, I now have another Electra that resembles your description above except for the "335" part (this one is not nearly as sweet as the first but a nice instrument nonetheless). It is a Les Paul style with a stained (mahogany? deep stained maple?) and clear-coated finish. Black and white binding (at least 4 or 5 layers)are at the edges of the back and top. There are abalone trapazoids inlaid in the frettboard and more abalone forming the logo across the headstock.

: The controls are not Les Paul. There IS a compartment for some kind of electronic unit (very interesting) and two cutouts that look like 9v battery compartments behind a hinged door on the back. A 5-way selector switch is in the location where you'd find a standard pickup selector on a Gibson. There are four control pots, of which two appear to be integrated with the mysterious electronic unit, the other two appear to be volume and tone controls. There are also two DPDT switches with large phenolic knobs that appear to be phase switches for each humbucker.

: I say appears because someone has removed the neck pickup and tried to wire it so that it would function without it. Thankfully, they were unsuccessful and stopped the modification with minimal alteration/damage. However, in its current condition it does not produce sound. I am relatively familiar with guitar wiring (having wired (and re-wired) and built several guitars) but am a little reluctant to dig into this gem without some reliable information. My first guess would be that the 5-way might be like the 5-way switches found on PRS semi-hollowbodies but, of course, this is a guess. I have not yet compared it to PRS wiring diagrams to be sure.

: If you could point me in the right direction to focus my research I would be very thankful. I've only just begun this quest but if this guitar plays anything like the first that I had, it will be well worth it.

: Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

: David

David:

while driving to florida from the west coast I bought an Electra quitar at a used store somewhere in Tennesse. That was in 1982 and it was used. It looks like a Les Paul, Original sunburst, the actual guitar is redish brown. It has four knobs below and a rythem/treble switch on the top. All the keys are hand machined. There's a plate at the back of the top. It says Eletra 1568. Its about two inchs thick and quit heavy and the frets are inlaid with a pearl type stone. I've had it for 21 years still in the original case it came in. If you know anything about it. I would appriciate it if you could email me. It looks to be the same model Alvin Lee used with "Ten Years After" Later
alex

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.