ELK viking bass 115

Posted by Jamie (via moderator) on Thu, 12/30/04 - 20:23:16.

Hi if anyone could help me out.
About a year ago I bought a Elk Viking bass 115 4 chanel bass amp.
Through searching the internet for information I am led to believe that it was manufactured by the Matsumoku plant. Can anyone tell me if that is correct?
The serial no. on the back states "01074" which leads me to believe that it was manufatured in 1974, by looking at the last 2 digits, but I have little knowledge of what the first 3 digits represents. Any ideas? Also next to the serial no. is a code "280 VA" any ideas on what that means.
Finally as I'm not too clued up on electrics I'm wondering if anyone might know wether this amp is a valve amp?
I'd appreciate any input anyone may be able to bring to my attention.
Kind Regards
Jamie

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: ELK viking bass 115

Upon closer inspection of the serial no. I have noticed that the serial is actually not "01074" but is in fact "U1074" which leaves me even more muddled. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Jamie

Re: ELK viking bass 115

Hi,

I recently bought a used ELK VIKING BASS (not 115) amp stack. Mine was made at the "Matsumuku?" plant in Japan and has Serial No. 1030. It's a 50 watt amp (2xEL84) ECC83 pre-amp and a weird valve (some small EL84) driving the EL84's.
Mine is in very nice condition. It came with a rather large 2x12" cab, but no speakers. I have currently installer 2 vintage (1972) 12" Eminence Alnico's and it sounds faboulous!.
I have no idea whatsoever when the amp was made since there are no dating codes whatsoever present. But the Elk Viking Bass head seams to fit with the Cab, since on the cab there is besides the "ELK" logo also a "ELk-BASS" logo on the speaker grille. Very cool amp imho.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.