How to 'refurbish' old/dirty guitar

Posted by Bernard Peters on Wed, 11/22/00 - 13:39:42.

Can anyone tell me the best way to clean up a grimy albeit good guitar? I just got a good deal on a 2nd hand
Yamaha, great condition physically, just a few scratches on body, but fairly dirty. How can I clean the guitar, and once
it's clean, can I put oil on the frets/neck to freshen up the wood (what kind of oil); what's the best cleaner to use. And
is there a way to clean up the nicks and scratches on the body. I think the guitar is from the 70's. FG-110-1

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: How to 'refurbish' old/dirty guitar

: Can anyone tell me the best way to clean up a grimy albeit good guitar? I just got a good deal on a 2nd hand
: Yamaha, great condition physically, just a few scratches on body, but fairly dirty. How can I clean the guitar, and once

-Use "lemon Oil" on te neck, i used to work at a music store called Electron and they used lemon oil on the necks.

: it's clean, can I put oil on the frets/neck to freshen up the wood (what kind of oil); what's the best cleaner to use. And
: is there a way to clean up the nicks and scratches on the body. I think the guitar is from the 70's. FG-110-1

Re: How to 'refurbish' old/dirty guitar

Wash it with soap and water!! Surprising isn't it.
I have a Great accustic guitar and that is what I use(outside only). I then use a soft cloth to spread on Teak oil Leave it a while and then rub it in with clean lint.
You'll be amazed a the result.
I also have a few scratches which I polish over. Remember it's an old guitar, it shouldn't look brand new. After a few polish sesions the scratches will not be so obvious

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.