Need a little help here

Posted by Ekin Lu on Thu, 01/18/01 - 17:10:15.

I just got this vintage guitar from some old guy who's really good friends with my mom for Christmas. He said it was his sons's when he was young or something and apparently his son is like almost 50 now.
I know like almost nothing about guitars but I'm gonna take some lessons or somethign soon, so right now I need your help to figure out just what guitar this is.
It's a 'Vantage' guitar. It's brown with a tan colored stripe that runs horizontally through the face of the guitar. There are two standard knobs 'volume and tone' and two switches, the top switch has a white rubber covering it. It's made in Japan and says 'Vantage' in cursive writing on the neck. Thanks for your help.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Need a little help here

: I just got this vintage guitar from some old guy who's really good friends with my mom for Christmas. He said it was his sons's when he was young or something and apparently his son is like almost 50 now.
: I know like almost nothing about guitars but I'm gonna take some lessons or somethign soon, so right now I need your help to figure out just what guitar this is.
: It's a 'Vantage' guitar. It's brown with a tan colored stripe that runs horizontally through the face of the guitar. There are two standard knobs 'volume and tone' and two switches, the top switch has a white rubber covering it. It's made in Japan and says 'Vantage' in cursive writing on the neck. Thanks for your help.

Hey there,

I was just trying to look up some info on the Vantage Guitar that I have purchased about a year or so ago and funny enough I have stumbled upon this site and after reading your message I thought that I might be able to help you out with the limmited information that I have learnt about the Vantage Guitar.
My Vantage is also woodgrain with the darker stripes going through the middle of the body with a maple coloured neck......I was lucky enough to get one with a straight neck. The Guitar I purchased was in a hock shop here in Newcastle Australia......it was only AUD$135.00 which I saw as a steal and it even came with a Vantage Hard case which is worth more than that on its own.....as far as performance is concerned this Guitar rocks.....the body is a copy of the Gibson SG (as played by the legend of rock and roll Angus Young)....and tends to be a little neck heavy which is the guitars only down fall....you will notice this with yours when you put a guitar strap on it and stand up and play the neck tends to tip the guitar towards the ground.....this makes the guitar a little hard to play at first but you will get used to that....I have after playing the thing for 12 months or so. The two switches that you mentioned control the twin humbuckers......the switch positioned at the top of the guitar is a 3-position switch.....its job is to switch between humuckers ie in the uppermost position the neck pickup is on and the bridge pickup is off, in the middle position both pickups are on in the lower position on the switch the bridge pickup is on and the neck pick up is off......this switch is especially handy when different tones are required....The switch on the bottom of the guitar near the tone and volume pots actually splits the humbucker and gives you a single coil sound....not unlike a stratocaster.......when the humbuckers are split you will notice that you loose some grunt, but it makes this guitar very versitile....you have the grunt and power of a Gibson yet the excellent tonal qualities of a Fender Strat........The strings that I use on this guitar are 10-52.........the 10 refers to the lightest string and the 52 to the heavier strings.....I have found that this combination works well.....I have been playing guitar for about 3 years now and the heavy bottem strings dont worrie my fingers to much but if you are learning I would go for something a bit lighter maybe 9-46 or some where around that.......dont put too light a stings on the guitar because you will not do it justice......I think that the vantage guitar was extremely underrated by allot of ppl but that has worked to our adVANTAGE because i got mine for next to nothing and you recieved yours for nothing at all......if you are serios about playing the guitar as you learn more about different sounds associated with different guitars you will begin to really appreciate the sound......there are people who pay thousands and thousands for guitars and they still wish that they could get the sound that I have.....and all for $135 bucks.......I must admit i have a pretty good Marshall that makes the sound even better.

Over all you could not have received a better guitar to learn on and even as you progress you will find that it keeps getting better and better.....I too would be interested in buying this Guitar too if you were to sell......if you want to know more just email me even if there is some thing that i can help you with re music feel free to ask because it wasnt that long ago that i too was in your shoes....and there were times that i wish i had someone to ask questions.

You can contact me at worellb@hunterwatertech.com.au
or
bruu@idx.com.au

Ta good luck

Re: Need a little help here

: I just got this vintage guitar from some old guy who's really good friends with my mom for Christmas. He said it was his sons's when he was young or something and apparently his son is like almost 50 now.
: I know like almost nothing about guitars but I'm gonna take some lessons or somethign soon, so right now I need your help to figure out just what guitar this is.
: It's a 'Vantage' guitar. It's brown with a tan colored stripe that runs horizontally through the face of the guitar. There are two standard knobs 'volume and tone' and two switches, the top switch has a white rubber covering it. It's made in Japan and says 'Vantage' in cursive writing on the neck. Thanks for your help.

If it is what I am familiar with it was probably manufactured in the early eighties possibly late seventies.
I don't know what the official Vantage name of it was/is but the common nickname at that time was the "Butcher-Block"
I had two of the sister guitar produced around the same time they were a knock-off of a Les Paul (truth be known the Vantage was a much better guitar than the Gibson original. If you should reconsider playing I'd be interested in buying this piece from you if condition and price are agreeable. Tim taacent@lisco.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.