Barcley Guitar

Posted by Walter on Mon, 03/03/03 - 12:25:45.

i have a guitar that i found in my roommates storage unit and it is pretty old looking with and palm muting deal near the bridge
it looks like it is straight out of the 70's if anyone might have any info on this guitar i would like and e-mail thanks

walter

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Barcley Guitar

I have a Barcley from 60s too. Barcley is not Barclay! Barclay is a pretty well known american brand. There are hundreds of thousands barclays in the world. And I guess there are only few Barcleys.

I have no idea what the value of the Barcley I have is. I tried to search it on Google but it only showed me Barclays. I don't know what year it is either. Any help?

My dad has this guitar from the 60's, I'm sure, but I don't know the exact year it was made. It's a 12-string Barclay Custom, sunburst pattern with an interesting pick guard. I haven't found anything on it, and all that I know about it is what I've told you, but I'd be interested in finding out about the Barclay guitar company.

Barcley custom

I have a "Barcley Custom" R340 acoustic. Seems to be a spelling issue pertaining to this guitar on this thread. My dad bought mine for me in 1969 in Ottawa, On. I recently took it to a luthier here and he corrected a nut zero line error on it and wondered how I played it the way it was made. He did a bunch of other adjustments and fixed it up nice and it sounds so much better.

barclay

I got a Barclay guitar that has japan on the head no numbers on it not no info I want to know something about it can any body help please it has 6 string's on it looks old and hand made somebody help

Barcley acoustic, R-340, RMI distributing, Ottawa, circa 1965

I just started doing some research and found very little but here is what I can share.
My mother purchased a Barcley 6 string acoustic guitar with case and capo as a gift to my father on thier first aniversary in 1965 from Sears department store ( Simpson Sears back then I do believe ) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simpsons_(department_store)#Simpsons-Sears Pen Centrer Mall, St. Catharines, Ontario.
Inside the sound hole it has a paperback cigarette pack size sticker tag displaying
Barcley Guitars,R.M.I distributing,Ottawa, Model R-340, printed in japan ( not sure what was printed and why it read like that , "Made in Japan " may be more appropriate). I was about 10 years old when I discovered it in a basement closet and played around with it all the way through high school and into university at Carleton in Ottawa where i had very talented musical roomates from Sault Ste. Marie who got me into busking Stompin Tom Connors, John Prine, folk and bluegrass tunes etc.. As I progressed in my playing abilities I started to take notice of how rough shape this instrument had developed into over the years (comparing it to my all my roomates higher end guitars ). I frequented Song Bird music in town, purchased and traded in a few different acoustics on a student budget (About 4 or 5 different buy,sell and trade exchanges over 4 years ) but they never felt the same as I was use to the size and fit of my dad's Barcley. After school and into the job market finally making some monies, I decided to try and see if it could be brought back up to a decent sounding and playing instrument again and was given the name of a local luthier named Fred Gabrsek of Freddys Frets (http://www.freddysfrets.com/). He took it, upgraded the machine heads, cut a new nut, hand worked the frets, action, did the intonation and got it tunned pretty good. I think the bill was about $400.00 back around 1995. May have been more than the guitar was worth but it was worth it to me as i love to play it to this day. I get decent compliments on its sound and feel from much better players than I who have takin it for a spin. Good tone, feel, playability etc.. For a 47 year old guitar, all the parties and campfires, thats pretty good. Suffice it to say, I would still rejoice in the purchase of a Martin D45 or D18 to take me through to the end.

barclay guitar

I have a Barclay custom R-340 #1201 in great condition. I would like to sell it. what would it be worth?

I have a barkley usa.only numbers in it8999H1219 and
An O off to the side of it.haven`t got a clue,other
than they were mail order out of chicago.and they are older than the 60.if you have one that was 1st made,it at least goes back to 1946.Look at some ww2 movies you just might see a couple...grants department store sold a lot.do your home work from there...

Re: Barclay Guitar

I have a Barclay acoustic. Says Barclay and USA on the head, but no distinguishing serial number or anything. I know my instrument is over 30 years old. I took lessons as a teen, and am 48 now. My parents bought the instrument from a discount catalog called Unity Buying Service or something like that, for something like $216. I'd love to get more information on this guitar, but there's not much to go on.

DON'T SELL IT!!! I DON'T KNOW MUTCH ABOUT THEM AS WELL HOWEVER I WAS ONE DAY IN GUITAR CENTER ABOUIT 2 YEARS AGO WHEN I BROGHT IN IN TO SEE WHAT STRINGS WOULD BE BEST FOR IT. THIS GUY ASKED ME IF HE COULD SEE IT, PLAYED A FEW NOTES ON IT AND THEN SAID IT SOUNDED REAL NICE AND ALL. HE THEN SAID THAT IT WAS A COMPANEY THAT MADE THEM LIKE BACK IN THE LATE 60'S AND THAT IT WENT OUT OF BUISSNESS OR SOMETHING. THE THING THAT STRUCK ME ODD WAS THAT HE SAID THAT HE WWAS COLLECTING THEM AND THAT THEY MAY ONE DAY BE WORTH SOME MONEY HOWEVER THAT BECAUSE MINE HAD NO MARKING IN IT TELLING THE DATE OF WHEN IT WAS MADFE THAT IT MIGHT ACTUALLY BE THE FIRST ONE MADE BY BACLAY! HE SAID HE HAD A 67, 68, & A 69 AND OFFERED ME A $100.00 FOR IT, WHEN I TURNED HIM DOWN HE OFFERED $125.00 AND THEN $150.00 FINNALLY I TOLD HIM JUST TO GIVE ME HIS NUMBER, LET ME DO SOME MORE REASERCH ON IT AND I'D CALL HIM. RELLUCTANTLY HE GAVE ME HIS NUMBER BUT I NEVER CALLED BECAUSE I COULD NOT FIND ANY MORE INFO OTHER THAN WHAT HE HAD TOLD ME. SO I STILL HAVE IT BUT, BECAUSE THERE IS NOT A LOT OF INFO OR VERY LITTLE DEMAND I DON'T SEE VALUE IN IT YET HOWEVER GIVE IT A COUPLE OF YEARS AND I THINK THERE WILL BE DUE TO 2 YEARS AGO WHEN I TRIED A SEARCH THERE WAS NOTHING ON IT AND NOW I AM STARTING TO SEE PEOPLE ASKING QUESTIOINS ABOUT IT! E-MAIL ME IF YOU GOT MORE INFO I'D BE INTERESTED TO HEAR FROM YOU OR SOMEONE THAT DOES!!! EVERYONCE IN A WHILE I TRY AND DO SOME RESEARCH ON IT AND WELL NOW I AM ACTUALLY STARTING TO SEE IT ON THE NET SO I THINK THEIR MIGHT BE SOME POTENTIAL (IF NOT ALREADY) VALUE TO IT IN A FEW YEARS!!!

Re: Barclay Guitar- Additional Info

A friend took a good look at the instrument and found some numbers.... Anyone know what they mean? First group is S-69-W (or possibly H?)Next group is RN followed by some unintelligible script. Last group is probably an actual serial number 7914 1203-3

Any ideas where I should look for additional information?

: I have a Barclay acoustic. Says Barclay and USA on the head, but no distinguishing serial number or anything. I know my instrument is over 30 years old. I took lessons as a teen, and am 48 now. My parents bought the instrument from a discount catalog called Unity Buying Service or something like that, for something like $216. I'd love to get more information on this guitar, but there's not much to go on.

Re: Barclay Guitar- Additional Info

I have a Barcley Custom guitar, Model R-340 distributed by RMI in Ottawa, Canada. It's a beautiful guitar. I know nothing else about it.

I have a 1967 Barclar. It's an "ice tea" burst hallow body manufactured by Harmony Guitars. My serial number is 7522H74-3 F67 (Fall 1967). Mine looks like a combination H74 model and a "Rocket" model. It has a Harmony trem and Rowe DeArmond PU's. It's very KOOL! I believe that Barclar was a brand name used by a dept. chain and Harmoney made the guitars...

Re: BARCLAY Guitar

Correction - my guitar is a "BARCLAY". I mis-spelled it in my previous message...

I recently found an accoustic barclay in my grandmother's closet, apparently its from the mid 70's, it is made of some light hardwood, has very cheap tuners and an arched fretboard. The only writing i can find on it is "barclay" and "steel reinforced neck" it has a pretty severe crack and the neck is seperating from the body but it sounds decent enough to fix.

There seems to be two different kinds of Barcley
guitars around. One type was made in Japan and the
other was made in the Midwest. I know a little about
the ones in the Midwest.

Back in the late 1970's, early 1980s the Barcley
Brothers had a shop in my home town of Bartonville,
Illinois, just south of Peoria. The brothers hand
made jazz archtop quitars. I didn't have the $1500
they wanted for a new one back then, but I did have
them work on my Martin. They flattened the frets on
the Martin. I noticed at that time that all the frets
on the Barcleys were flat.

The jazz player Mary Osbourne played a Barcley for a
while. They are nice guitars if you find one in nice condition.

: i have a guitar that i found in my roommates storage unit and it is pretty old looking with and palm muting deal near the bridge
: it looks like it is straight out of the 70's if anyone might have any info on this guitar i would like and e-mail thanks

: walter

hey I recently found your folowup and I have a 67 Barclay that says "Barclay USA Chicago, Illinois" it has one single PU everything but 2 screws are original the headstock has slight damage but elsewhere there is no visible or structural damage

Just wanting some info if youve found it

Lonnie

My dad has a Barclay guitar as well. It's a gorgeous mahogany acoustic with a white pick guard. Decent sound to it as well. I asked him and my mother when they got it, it's believed around the early 70's sometime. Aside from that, I can find no info on them, nor does there appear to be any on EBay.

Barclay Acoustic Guitars

I have a 1962 Barclay acoustic (22 Fret), i put brand new GHS strings on it 3 weeks ago, and all I know is that it was manufactured in Japan.

Barclay Acoustic Guitars

I have a 1962 Barclay acoustic (22 Fret), i put brand new GHS strings on it 3 weeks ago, and all I know is that it was manufactured in Japan.

:We have a barcley guitar. It has model # R130. Anybody know where I can get info. on it. Doesn't seem to be much around. thanks

:D. Fry

i found a Barcley guitar in my garage the other day. The guy at the music store said he had never herd of them. I cant find anything on the internet either. Mine is atleast 25 years old.

Barcley Custom R-360 distributed by R.M.I. out of Ottawa

I have had this guitar for quite some time and I am curious to when it was made. I can see that nobody has much info on line and was wondering if anyone has found anything out lately.

Thanks James

Barcley Acoustic

Hi James,
I have one too! but mine is an R-340. My dad gave it to me in 1970 so that gives you a rough idea. I'm in Ottawa too. He originally went into a store here to get me one for my 12th birthday, saw one he liked, went back the next day and it was gone and ended up getting me this one. I've held onto it all these years, played it off and on and now paying the price for letting it sit in it's case. I've been playing my new Yamaha. So I'm looking for someone to repair it. Some work has been done but I was told it needs a little more extensive work but I want to restore it. As the thread goes here the conversation is changing to "Barclay" guitars, not the same.
Janet

I too have an old "BarclEy guitar I bought from a friend
in the 1980's but I can't find any info on BarclEy
have you had any luck lately ?

Cleaning out my grandfathers attic and I found a BARCLAY acoustic guitar. at the very end (I know nothing of guitars) where you'd tune it, it has a flashly little sticker with a silver background that changes with light movement - says BARCLAY in a somewhat 3d looking graphic, definitely late 60's or early 70s from my guess. Inside the hole in the base of the guitar theres a silver sticker that says TATRA I in a red circle surrounded by a silver coloring that says circularly: CLASSIC GUITAR HAND CRAFTED IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA. It's a 6 string guitar and is in pretty good shape, looks new but has no strings on it. The place where you'd brush the pick across is plastic, the rest is wood. More on the heavy side... seems like a nice guitar but... I've never really examined a guitar before now.

I just found the same Tatra in my storage - my ex-husband's guitar from Berkeley CA in the early 1970s.

: Cleaning out my grandfathers attic and I found a BARCLAY acoustic guitar. at the very end (I know nothing of guitars) where you'd tune it, it has a flashly little sticker with a silver background that changes with light movement - says BARCLAY in a somewhat 3d looking graphic, definitely late 60's or early 70s from my guess. Inside the hole in the base of the guitar theres a silver sticker that says TATRA I in a red circle surrounded by a silver coloring that says circularly: CLASSIC GUITAR HAND CRAFTED IN CZECHOSLOVAKIA. It's a 6 string guitar and is in pretty good shape, looks new but has no strings on it. The place where you'd brush the pick across is plastic, the rest is wood. More on the heavy side... seems like a nice guitar but... I've never really examined a guitar before now.

From what I've gathered, Barclay (note spelling) guitars were made by Harmony guitars. Here's a website that lists info on Barclay guitars:
http://harmony.demont.net/brands.php?id_brand=5

Barcley

There is a Barcley (note spelling) guitar made in Japan. I'm holding one at this moment that my father gave to me when I was 12 in 1970. It has been in it's case too much and I'm looking for someone to do some repairs on it to restore it. So the spelling is correct, just for the record : )

A friend of mine gave his old Barclay electric guitar to his 10 year old step-son recently. I've never heard of them but I took it home and totally cleaned it, smoothed the fretboard out as it was never finish sanded and was quite rough. I polished and oiled it a bit. I'd like to put a Duncan Hotrail in it too. I put some GHS Boomer lights on it and was quite suprised by the action. The PU has got to go though. It has a really cool chrome & gold metal cover and who knows what's underneath it. It's very retro with a Thunderbird/Mustang sort of body. It will be a good guitar for the kid to learn on for awhile.

I have a Barklay USA date stamped inside is 8-56 or 66 with a Harmony model #H1218 but I can not find any info only #1215 is a close model, only this double f-hole is flamed archtop-archback and 90% condition. anyone have any info let me know.

: I have a Barklay USA date stamped inside is 8-56 or 66 with a Harmony model #H1218 but I can not find any info only #1215 is a close model, only this double f-hole is flamed archtop-archback and 90% condition. anyone have any info let me know.

i have a sunburst barclay archback, better known as a pot belly in my parts. hit me back, mine was given to me and play a bunch, i would love to know more about it.

I know what you mean. My father has a Barclay guitar. Four mic switches above the strings, plus a fifth below (use currently unknown) and what I consider to be an elongated head. It has 'model 1803' on the back of the head, but that so far is all I know. I don't even know the date.

I have a barclay les paul copy, it really looks like a real gibson les paul, they did'nt change a thing,probably straight out of the "lawsuit era" or probably older. all I know is that the guitar is made in japan, and yes they are still in business, but I think they only make acoustic guitar these days. oh and there is also barclay guitars that were made by harmony guitars, you can check out their pictures on harmony's web site. all I can say is that my barclay les paul copy sounds and looks gorgeous.

Hi,

I purchased a barclay electric (on ebay $100), thin hollow body, binding all around, double cut away, 2 s/c pickups, and vibrato bar. This guitar appearance was decent, electronics were a basket case. I completly re-wired, added new controls, this guitar sounds great, plays very well, very cool retro look. The only marking on it is the Barcley badge, no model number....: email me if you like, at jonpolonez@aol.com

I know what you mean. My father has a Barclay guitar. Four mic switches above the strings, plus a fifth below (use currently unknown) and what I consider to be an elongated head. It has 'model 1803' on the back of the head, but that so far is all I know. I don't even know the date.

My first electric guitar was a Barclay semi-acoustic, cherry sunburst with white binding. It was an archtop and was fitted with two microphonic pickups (magnetics was very expensive in those days). It had a hardtail (trapeze-type) with a floating ebony bridge and was really quite attractive. I paid about $30 brand new in about 1967 - that was a lot of money for a kid in highschool in those days. I only traded it about 5 years back to 'Better Music' in Canberra for a Fender Newport acoustic. As I recall, they gave me $100, as the electrics had seen better days and the neck needed sorting after years of playing. I still have the Fender and a Les Paul Studio, but my taste for Jazz got the better of me and I recently bought an Ibanez Artcore semi. The Barclay was terh start of my long love affair with electric guitars and I still have fond memories of it.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.