Crest Guitars

Posted by Don Martin on Sun, 01/27/02 - 08:43:43.

I have a old Crest guitar who made it

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Crest Guitars

I just bought a Crest archtop on e-bay. From all that I can tell it is a typical late 1930's American made archtop;- very likely a higher end Harmony made guitar similar to the Cremona. See it here while it lasts:http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/showimage.aspx?gid=1281174ℑ=358094569&images=358094247,358094485,358094569,358094663,358094771,358094872,358094983,358095199,358095378,358095282,358142937&formats=0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0&format=0

It looks very similar to the Cremona II listed here:
http://harmony.demont.net/family/Higher+end+archtop
(headstock shape, f-hole shape, fretboard detail, neck profile.)

I think the Harmony Company made some of the earlier American Crest brand guitars.

: I have a old Crest guitar who made it

your crest archtop was made by harmony.they were distributed by sears and roebuck prior to ww2 some of them were carved archtops and are fine guitars. look inside with an inspection mirror and you can see if it has a solid spruce top. you will see tool markings on the underside of the arch.

Hello again folks, well it has been what 6 years? since I first posted on here asking for info on a Crest guitar that I have and I am sad to say that I havn't found out a thing about it yet,mine is a acoustic arch top with "F" holes, looking down inside of it you can see the numbers 3758 and F20 and also S37, On the head stock it has like a family coat of arms symble and on top of a flag it has the name Crest on it,It belonged to my father and I know for a fact that it is around 80 years old going by what my mother knows,my dad bought it used when he was 16,he would now be 93, he won a talent contest when he was 16 while playing it in New Albany Pa.I had the news paper clipping at one time that told about it but it has since disapeared,well this is about all I do know about,it would sure mean a lot to me to be able to find out more about it, any info at all will sure be appreciated,Thank you so much,Don
And thank you all for your follow up's so far, I hope that you all have had better luck in finding out all about the Crest that you have, Good luck

Re: Crest Guitars Please send a picture of your's

I have one of the LP copies named "Crest" no Model or serial #'s or any other marking other than the crest name all cap's in gold. It weigh's just over 9 lbs and has real mother of pearl with the Gibson logo on the head stock Ivory like binding with a dual humbucking pickups the color is simular to my new les paul which is wine red.
This is a well made guitar and has had years of play time and still looks and plays well. I would like to see your's and start a data base of the different models Please include some of the specific that you may know. Calvincornehl@hotmail.com
Thanks
Cal

Crest Guitar

Hi Cal,Thanks for your interest in my Crest guitar, I have just about given up in finding out anything about it, seems nobody knows a thing, Mine belonged to my father and was passed on to me, he bought it used when he was 16 years old,if now alive he would be 93 so this is a very old guitar that is pushing 100years old,it is an acustic with double "F" holes, there is a number down inside of it but that hasn't helped me either, it is still in it's original leather clad case(which shows the years of wear)it is missing the pick guard and one of the ivory tuner knobs but for it's age other than that it is in fair shape, I wish I could send you a picture of it but I am not to swift on this computer, the next time my buddy comes over I will get him to help me send a picture, Thanks again,Don

There has been some discussion on the other sites that can be found if you run a search for "crest guitar." These discussions seem to center on a Gibson-made Crest. I had a Crest 12-string that I picked up new in the mid-1960's. It wasn't a Gibson because it had a violin type body, something like a Beatle bass, blonde color, with a rather narrow neck for a 12-string. It also had a vibrato tailpiece. It didn't sound too bad. I used to string it as a 6-string since I was playing music on weekends and I got tired of breaking the octave G-string. I have never been able to locate any information on this non-Gibson guitar, and I haven't seen anything that looks remotely like it since.

: I have a old Crest guitar who made it

I also have an old Crest guitar that my dad bought from an army buddy in 1942 or 43...arch top, double cutaway with a family crest on the head...no other marks or numbers. no idea where or when it was made.

I have one also and I'd like to know more about it's history, value (if any), etc.

Same here. Man it seems like no one knows where these guitars came from. I don't know if mine is differnt from anyone elses, but i have an electic Crest with magnetic pickups. I don't know if that's anything like the other Crest's out there. But i'd like to know. But since i don't see much on them on the net. And they have a fairly good sound, I think they might be worth a little something. Well any way. Any information on it would be appreciated.

: Same here. Man it seems like no one knows where these guitars came from. I don't know if mine is differnt from anyone elses, but i have an electic Crest with magnetic pickups. I don't know if that's anything like the other Crest's out there. But i'd like to know. But since i don't see much on them on the net. And they have a fairly good sound, I think they might be worth a little something. Well any way. Any information on it would be appreciated.

I too have a Les Paul copy that looks a lot like a Univox LP copy, but after searching the internet the headstock is a closer match to the Crest model. I wonder if Crest were manufactured at Univox in the 70's?

I just acquired a Crest copy of a Gibson ES-175 from e-bay, and it appears identical to the lawsuit copies made by Aria and Ibanez, so I suspect Crest was a brand made in Japan at the same factory that made Aria and/or Ibanez in the late 70's

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.