Re: Still a Guitar Mystery

Posted by Michael on Tue, 03/06/07 - 20:41:18.

I also own a 1970's orginal handmade Classical Style Guitar(MODEL No. AM 564), by the Japanese Luthier Ryoji Matsuoka. (label inside)
On the inside the label says: Construction Artistica de Guitarras (Spanish) and a stamped label with number: 74.623 inside just under the end of the bridge where it joins the sound body.

I bought this guitar second-hand back in 1989 or thereabouts, ( I still have receipt somewhere ) for around $200 CDN in Victoria, BC Canada.

The sound output of this guitar despite the weathered appearance ( it was apparently owned by a professional
muscian - which I am not ) is superb in my un-professional opinion.

I know virtually nothing about the guitar or the labelling
but I did find the following from a private listing by another person who owns a similar guitar as follows:

"The Ryoji Matsuoka Classical Guitar
This guitar is a kind of diamond in the rough. I bought it in 1980 in a Philly pawnshop, and I was intrigued by its excellent make and unusual name, Ryoji Matsuoka, so I searched a bit on the Net, and here's what I found:
The Ryoji Matsuoka series were classical guitars that were hand made in Japan between 1976 and 1980 (?)

Main Features:
• Rosewood back & sides on classic guitars
• Finished in traditional amber colour
• Hand polished nickel silver frets
• Carved mahogany neck
• 52mm wide rosewood or ebony fingerboard
• Fine wood mosaic rosette inlays around sound hole
• Natural colour mirror gloss finish
There were three series (mine being AM567, Series M50), all with slotted heads and some with a carved-in design.

The Convert series included the M20 (spruce top, nato neck), M30 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck), M40 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck) and all had rosewood bodies and fingerboards.
The Artist Series included the M50 and M60 with aged spruce tops, Jacaranda bodies, ebony fingerboards and mahogany neck .
The Old World Artisan Series included the M70 and M80, with "traditional one-piece Spanish classic neck construction".

ORIGINAL MESSSAGE from YOU:

: : I have a Ryoji Matsuoka guitar with the serial number AM566 i have NO idea about this guitar other then its asthetic beauty and the lovely sound it produces....does anyone know about this model number??? not even the Matsuoka website has info on it...it is at least 30 years old..maybe more....

: I have its close relative and am also looking for info about this guitar

: my model no is AM564

: any info about this guitar

Related Gear:
Read this if you are considering buying a Classical Guitar

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

matsuoaka guitar

Hi, can anybody help me?? I got a Ryoji Matsuoka guitar for my birthday 30 years ago. I can't find any information on this guitar. The model number is 25 F, the wood colour is very light. Thats all I have. Please help.

rioji matsuoka classical guitar

I have read all the info I could find on this guitar. However, my label says it is an " A 561" . The ANO is blank and there is no MODEL number. It was purchased by me new in 1975 and it is in wonderful condition. I cannot find any more about it. Please help if you can. Regards Bill

I have a Ryoji Matsuoka AM566, bought in Toronto in the 70's. It's not such a mystery, I understand it was an attempt to imitate the venerable Ramirez at a reasonable cost. If you've ever heard a Ramirez, you'd understand the wish to replicate it at a reasonable cost. It seems Matsuoka did a good job, as those who post seem to appreciate. It has a rich sound, good response and is easy to play, but it's hard to put a value on it. I've seen a range of $270 - 1,050 on the earlier M-20 - M-100 instruments; and much more on later ones.

Related Gear:
Read this if you are considering buying a Classical Guitar

: I also own a 1970's orginal handmade Classical Style Guitar(MODEL No. AM 564), by the Japanese Luthier Ryoji Matsuoka. (label inside)
: On the inside the label says: Construction Artistica de Guitarras (Spanish) and a stamped label with number: 74.623 inside just under the end of the bridge where it joins the sound body.

: I bought this guitar second-hand back in 1989 or thereabouts, ( I still have receipt somewhere ) for around $200 CDN in Victoria, BC Canada.

: The sound output of this guitar despite the weathered appearance ( it was apparently owned by a professional
: muscian - which I am not ) is superb in my un-professional opinion.

: I know virtually nothing about the guitar or the labelling
: but I did find the following from a private listing by another person who owns a similar guitar as follows:

: "The Ryoji Matsuoka Classical Guitar
: This guitar is a kind of diamond in the rough. I bought it in 1980 in a Philly pawnshop, and I was intrigued by its excellent make and unusual name, Ryoji Matsuoka, so I searched a bit on the Net, and here's what I found:
: The Ryoji Matsuoka series were classical guitars that were hand made in Japan between 1976 and 1980 (?)
:
: Main Features:
: • Rosewood back & sides on classic guitars
: • Finished in traditional amber colour
: • Hand polished nickel silver frets
: • Carved mahogany neck
: • 52mm wide rosewood or ebony fingerboard
: • Fine wood mosaic rosette inlays around sound hole
: • Natural colour mirror gloss finish
: There were three series (mine being AM567, Series M50), all with slotted heads and some with a carved-in design.
:
: The Convert series included the M20 (spruce top, nato neck), M30 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck), M40 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck) and all had rosewood bodies and fingerboards.
: The Artist Series included the M50 and M60 with aged spruce tops, Jacaranda bodies, ebony fingerboards and mahogany neck .
: The Old World Artisan Series included the M70 and M80, with "traditional one-piece Spanish classic neck construction".

: ORIGINAL MESSSAGE from YOU:

: : : I have a Ryoji Matsuoka guitar with the serial number AM566 i have NO idea about this guitar other then its asthetic beauty and the lovely sound it produces....does anyone know about this model number??? not even the Matsuoka website has info on it...it is at least 30 years old..maybe more....

:
: : I have its close relative and am also looking for info about this guitar

: : my model no is AM564

: : any info about this guitar

:)

I bought AM 563 at a Winnipeg pawn shop 20+ years ago. Banged up but I knew it had some value. Plays well and sounds nice until this day!

: I have a Ryoji Matsuoka No.AM563C that I purchased in Vancouver sometime between 1972 and 1974. May still have the original receipt. Would like to know any info regarding this model. I believe it did not cost a lot at the time. Bob Evans

: I have a Ryoji Matsuoka AM566, bought in Toronto in the 70's. It's not such a mystery, I understand it was an attempt to imitate the venerable Ramirez at a reasonable cost. If you've ever heard a Ramirez, you'd understand the wish to replicate it at a reasonable cost. It seems Matsuoka did a good job, as those who post seem to appreciate. It has a rich sound, good response and is easy to play, but it's hard to put a value on it. I've seen a range of $270 - 1,050 on the earlier M-20 - M-100 instruments; and much more on later ones.

: : I also own a 1970's orginal handmade Classical Style Guitar(MODEL No. AM 564), by the Japanese Luthier Ryoji Matsuoka. (label inside)
: : On the inside the label says: Construction Artistica de Guitarras (Spanish) and a stamped label with number: 74.623 inside just under the end of the bridge where it joins the sound body.

: : I bought this guitar second-hand back in 1989 or thereabouts, ( I still have receipt somewhere ) for around $200 CDN in Victoria, BC Canada.

: : The sound output of this guitar despite the weathered appearance ( it was apparently owned by a professional
: : muscian - which I am not ) is superb in my un-professional opinion.

: : I know virtually nothing about the guitar or the labelling
: : but I did find the following from a private listing by another person who owns a similar guitar as follows:

: : "The Ryoji Matsuoka Classical Guitar
: : This guitar is a kind of diamond in the rough. I bought it in 1980 in a Philly pawnshop, and I was intrigued by its excellent make and unusual name, Ryoji Matsuoka, so I searched a bit on the Net, and here's what I found:
: : The Ryoji Matsuoka series were classical guitars that were hand made in Japan between 1976 and 1980 (?)
: :
: : Main Features:
: : • Rosewood back & sides on classic guitars
: : • Finished in traditional amber colour
: : • Hand polished nickel silver frets
: : • Carved mahogany neck
: : • 52mm wide rosewood or ebony fingerboard
: : • Fine wood mosaic rosette inlays around sound hole
: : • Natural colour mirror gloss finish
: : There were three series (mine being AM567, Series M50), all with slotted heads and some with a carved-in design.
: : The Convert series included the M20 (spruce top, nato neck), M30 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck), M40 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck) and all had rosewood bodies and fingerboards.
: : The Artist Series included the M50 and M60 with aged spruce tops, Jacaranda bodies, ebony fingerboards and mahogany neck .
: : The Old World Artisan Series included the M70 and M80, with "traditional one-piece Spanish classic neck construction".

:
: : ORIGINAL MESSSAGE from YOU:

: : : : I have a Ryoji Matsuoka guitar with the serial number AM566 i have NO idea about this guitar other then its asthetic beauty and the lovely sound it produces....does anyone know about this model number??? not even the Matsuoka website has info on it...it is at least 30 years old..maybe more....

: : : I have its close relative and am also looking for info about this guitar

: : : my model no is AM564

: : : any info about this guitar

Related Gear:
The Best Classical Guitars

re still a guitar mystery

I have a Ryoji Matsuoka classical, model AM561, which was given to me several years ago. It has the same label details as above in Spanish also the words Nagoya Japan. The back and sides look like rosewood, the top spruce amber gloss in colour. Mahogany neck with spliced heel, rosewood board. I'm an electric, not a classical player so it doesn't get much use but sounds beautiful. Would love to have some idea of it's age.

Luthier Ryoji matsuoka

I have a Ryoji matsouka AM 568S and also do not know the value of this guitar?

I just found a AM-564 in a vancouver pawnshop. I plan on buying it but am doing some research first. Very interested to hear of any information you have gathered.

L

: I also own a 1970's orginal handmade Classical Style Guitar(MODEL No. AM 564), by the Japanese Luthier Ryoji Matsuoka. (label inside)
: On the inside the label says: Construction Artistica de Guitarras (Spanish) and a stamped label with number: 74.623 inside just under the end of the bridge where it joins the sound body.

: I bought this guitar second-hand back in 1989 or thereabouts, ( I still have receipt somewhere ) for around $200 CDN in Victoria, BC Canada.

: The sound output of this guitar despite the weathered appearance ( it was apparently owned by a professional
: muscian - which I am not ) is superb in my un-professional opinion.

: I know virtually nothing about the guitar or the labelling
: but I did find the following from a private listing by another person who owns a similar guitar as follows:

: "The Ryoji Matsuoka Classical Guitar
: This guitar is a kind of diamond in the rough. I bought it in 1980 in a Philly pawnshop, and I was intrigued by its excellent make and unusual name, Ryoji Matsuoka, so I searched a bit on the Net, and here's what I found:
: The Ryoji Matsuoka series were classical guitars that were hand made in Japan between 1976 and 1980 (?)
:
: Main Features:
: • Rosewood back & sides on classic guitars
: • Finished in traditional amber colour
: • Hand polished nickel silver frets
: • Carved mahogany neck
: • 52mm wide rosewood or ebony fingerboard
: • Fine wood mosaic rosette inlays around sound hole
: • Natural colour mirror gloss finish
: There were three series (mine being AM567, Series M50), all with slotted heads and some with a carved-in design.
:
: The Convert series included the M20 (spruce top, nato neck), M30 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck), M40 (solid spruce top, mahogany neck) and all had rosewood bodies and fingerboards.
: The Artist Series included the M50 and M60 with aged spruce tops, Jacaranda bodies, ebony fingerboards and mahogany neck .
: The Old World Artisan Series included the M70 and M80, with "traditional one-piece Spanish classic neck construction".

: ORIGINAL MESSSAGE from YOU:

: : : I have a Ryoji Matsuoka guitar with the serial number AM566 i have NO idea about this guitar other then its asthetic beauty and the lovely sound it produces....does anyone know about this model number??? not even the Matsuoka website has info on it...it is at least 30 years old..maybe more....

:
: : I have its close relative and am also looking for info about this guitar

: : my model no is AM564

: : any info about this guitar

I own a Ryoji Matsuoka M30. I have had it since the early 80's. I bought it from Ward music in Vancouver. I got it for pretty cheap because it needed the frets dressed and the bridge adjusted. The guy I got to fix it up told me back then it was worth a lot more than I paid for it. He told me I stole it. It plays super nice. People always comment on how nice it is and how good it sounds. I would like to find out more about these guitars.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.