K.YASUMA GUITARS

Posted by JOHN JOHN TEXAS RANGERS on Tue, 01/08/08 - 13:56:47.

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE INFORMATION AND HISTORY AS WELL AS PHOTOGRAPS AND LOGO OF THIS WONDERFUL GUITARS IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

yasuma

I have an old Yasuma Newance guitar that I picked up a year or so ago. Am thinking of selling it. If anyone is interested, mail me and I will send pics.

Re: K.YASUMA GUITARS

: I own a Yasuma 130 and have done since 1989ish. I bought second hand from a guitar store here in Melbourne, Australia after returning from traveling overseas. It's a Newance hand made model and has a really nice finish and a great tone. Everyone that plays it likes it. I've played it on and off over the last 20 odd years but enjoying it now more than ever. I'm taking it into the workshop to clean it up a bit. If you want photos send me an email.

: I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE INFORMATION AND HISTORY AS WELL AS PHOTOGRAPS AND LOGO OF THIS WONDERFUL GUITARS IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME?

: : I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE INFORMATION AND HISTORY AS WELL AS PHOTOGRAPS AND LOGO OF THIS WONDERFUL GUITARS IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME?

: : : I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE INFORMATION AND HISTORY AS WELL AS PHOTOGRAPS AND LOGO OF THIS WONDERFUL GUITARS IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME?

K Yasuma was in the furniture business in the 1950s in Nagoya Japan, and made Guitars, Mandolins and Tiples amongst other instruments until about 1974 I believe.
I have a Yasuma 130D which I bought in 1971 which is in mint condition, but needs a service. Doing a web search, must people who have them, would never part with them.. Like all good instruments, they only become better with age.

Guitars are Martin lookalikes, 130 similar to a Martin D28, in style, but different in tone.

Yasuma acoustic guitar

i have a Yasuma Newance model 240 H acoustic . bought in the 70's. Like to find more info about it !

yasuma model no w180

i have a yasuma model w180 got it second hand off a guitar maker that he had lying around

k yasuma acoustic guitars

Am not familiar with styles/designs. Just found this site. Need info. or pics. of styles/shapes/colors etc.. Have a d-28 look-a-like (k yasuma). Only have a serial number. woull like more info. if possible. Thanks!

D28 lookalike

I have the same D28 lookalike Model 130 spruce top Mahogany back sides and neck- scroll down this link to find your guitar
http://yasumaguitars.com/katarogu.html

: I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE INFORMATION AND HISTORY AS WELL AS PHOTOGRAPS AND LOGO OF THIS WONDERFUL GUITARS IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME?

Sure I have bought one today 12 oct 2008.
This one is the handmade 140 model.
Best,
Dan

I know you posted a long time ago but as I own a wg130, you might like to know what little I know. Yasuma made guitars up to the mid seventies but were probably hit with a law suit from Martin Guitars as their copies were really close! If you'd like a pic of the thing, just mail me. A couple of reviews are on harmony central too.

: I know you posted a long time ago but as I own a wg130, you might like to know what little I know. Yasuma made guitars up to the mid seventies but were probably hit with a law suit from Martin Guitars as their copies were really close! If you'd like a pic of the thing, just mail me. A couple of reviews are on harmony central too.

Additional info. When some Yasuma guitars were brought into the US customs took a skillsaw to the headstocks to protect the US market. My guitar is a 0028 copy I think (model 1000). It is made from laminates. You can tell by looking at the grain around the sound hole (it runs opposisite to the grain on the top) However, I am not dissing this guitar at all. It is 40 years old and the sound is incredible, also nice and light to pack around. Neck and stuff got reset yesterday and it has playability as well as strength of sound. It is a survivor.

k yasuma guitars and identification

I have a k yasuma guitar & co. guitar(newance) sirial #111703. would like to have any info on it. Size and style/color/appearance is similar to d-28 martin. Have owned about 30 years.

I am looking at a K. Yasuma Guitar that I believe may be a model 130. It has the Newance logo on the headstock and a serial number. There is no model number but the word Lackeys is on a label on the inside. Does anyone have any info about this guitar.

Yasuma acoustic FG

Hi I have been given a Yasuma acoustuc guitar. Baby Jumbo style. I have no idea what it's worth - plays great though. It's model number starts with FG. Does anyone know anything about these? Would be great to have some info.

Yasuma acoustic

Hi I have been given a Yasuma acoustuc guitar. Baby Jumbo style. I have no idea what it's worth - plays great though. It's model number starts with FG. Does anyone know anything about these? Would be great to have some info.

Yasuma

I just bought a Yasuma similar to my OM-28 VR Martin. Slightly smaller body but very similar. I can see why Martin sued them. It came from Lackeys in Hampton. Still has the Lackey name on the Yasuma custom label and a note from Mr. Lackey saying only use extra light gauge strings. Mr Lackey sold me three Martin D18s. First two I got for $225.00 in 1972 and 1973. When I went back and asked him for the third one he gave me a look I'll never forget. He said Billy, you are hustling the Martins out for a profit.
I admitted I was taking them to West Virginia and selling them. He said OK. This D18 is $400. I really respected Mr Lackey and gave him the $400. This D18 is still with me. Next time I visited him his shop had been broken into and the majority of his vintage guitars had been stolen. He was heart broken. He was a class guy.

Yasuma

I had a 12 string K. Yasuma that came from Lackeys. Same note about Labella strings. Unfortunately, I let someone borrow it, and it was destroyed in a drunken stupor.

K. Yasuma

I have a K. Yasuma model F4000 I bought new in 1972. Bought it at Gotts for Music in Yarmouth,Mass. It is their small guitar. Have been playing it for over 40 years and I still love it. Great sound, well built and beautiful woods were used. I use light gauge strings. I had to have the fingerboard scraped a few years back, and I think it now needs a new fingerboard and frets. I paid about $275 for it back in '72. Great guitar, and it has traveled extensively with me. It is NOT for sale!!

K Yasuma & Co. guitars

I have a K yasuma (looks like a d-28 Martin). Had it about 30 or so years. Sounds and plays good. Don't have any info. on it Couldn't find a number until now-747175. Inside on a brace. Made in Nagoya, Japan. Can anyone tell me anything more about the model, how many were made, what they are worth? Would love a reply. Thanks.

: I am looking at a K. Yasuma Guitar that I believe may be a model 130. It has the Newance logo on the headstock and a serial number. There is no model number but the word Lackeys is on a label on the inside. Does anyone have any info about this guitar.

: : I am looking at a K. Yasuma Guitar that I believe may be a model 130. It has the Newance logo on the headstock and a serial number. There is no model number but the word Lackeys is on a label on the inside. Does anyone have any info about this guitar.
That's weird. I have a Yasuma that I bought in 1969 at Lackeys Music in Newport News, Va

http://yasuma-guitar.com/

Link to N/A models

http://yasumaguitars.com/katarogu.html scroll down to see the models

http://yasumaguitars.com

http://yasumaguitars.com the page is in Japanese you have to go through a few of the tabs at the top of the page to see the models that were sent to north america. I have a model 130 that I have had since January 1980 that I will never part with. I might have them put it in the box they put me in when I go.

: : : : : : I am looking at a K. Yasuma Guitar that I believe may be a model 130. It has the Newance logo on the headstock and a serial number. There is no model number but the word Lackeys is on a label on the inside. Does anyone have any info about this guitar.
: : : : That's weird. I have a Yasuma that I bought in 1969 at Lackeys Music in Newport News, Va. The darn Lackeys sticker is covering the model number. Are you from that neck of the woods?

: :
: : I am from That "neck of the woods". I bought a Yasuma from Harry Lackey at his store in Hampton in the early '70s. (See my previous post.) I have found out since then that K. Yasuma was in the furniture business (like competitor Yamaha was) and saw an opportunity to expand into a related business. Most of their output went to the UK but a few dealers in the states probably imported them themselves. They were no-doubt scared off by threatened lawsuits by Martin, as they are pretty good knock-offs and sounded better than many affordable American guitars from that time period. As I recall, several of my schoolmates bought Yasumas as an affordable move-up from the beginner guitars we got as kids. Harry's was strictly a "guitar store" no horns or drums as I recall. Gibson was his main line and he had a good selection of new and vintage(just "used" in those days)guitars.
: : I just had a luthier friend check mine over and clean up the setup. It still sounds great. I have (except once) stuck to Lackey's recommendation to only use extra light strings. The bit of masking tape he put inside to remind me is still there. I put lights on one time and the action change scared the hell out of me. It probably could have been set up for them but it plays very well and plenty loud for solo efforts as is.
: : It is good to hear that a few of them are still around and are appreciated.

:
: Not sure but you maybe remember a band I was in back around that time, Tricks. We played all over the Tidewater area, east coast & midwest. When I first bought my Yasuma, I had never heard of them but was amazed at how good it played & sounded. Only problem is that the neck was pulling away from the body so I bolted it all the way through & put a strap nut on it, looks factory & it's worked fine for what, 30 some years. You got any idea what these things are worth?

That's funny, the Lackeys sticker is covering the model number & I have the same "Use Labella 710 or extra light gauge strings" piece of tape in mine.

: : : : I am looking at a K. Yasuma Guitar that I believe may be a model 130. It has the Newance logo on the headstock and a serial number. There is no model number but the word Lackeys is on a label on the inside. Does anyone have any info about this guitar.
: : That's weird. I have a Yasuma that I bought in 1969 at Lackeys Music in Newport News, Va. The darn Lackeys sticker is covering the model number. Are you from that neck of the woods?

I am from That "neck of the woods". I bought a Yasuma from Harry Lackey at his store in Hampton in the early '70s. (See my previous post.) I have found out since then that K. Yasuma was in the furniture business (like competitor Yamaha was) and saw an opportunity to expand into a related business. Most of their output went to the UK but a few dealers in the states probably imported them themselves. They were no-doubt scared off by threatened lawsuits by Martin, as they are pretty good knock-offs and sounded better than many affordable American guitars from that time period. As I recall, several of my schoolmates bought Yasumas as an affordable move-up from the beginner guitars we got as kids. Harry's was strictly a "guitar store" no horns or drums as I recall. Gibson was his main line and he had a good selection of new and vintage(just "used" in those days)guitars.
I just had a luthier friend check mine over and clean up the setup. It still sounds great. I have (except once) stuck to Lackey's recommendation to only use extra light strings. The bit of masking tape he put inside to remind me is still there. I put lights on one time and the action change scared the hell out of me. It probably could have been set up for them but it plays very well and plenty loud for solo efforts as is.
It is good to hear that a few of them are still around and are appreciated.

: : : : : I am looking at a K. Yasuma Guitar that I believe may be a model 130. It has the Newance logo on the headstock and a serial number. There is no model number but the word Lackeys is on a label on the inside. Does anyone have any info about this guitar.
: : : That's weird. I have a Yasuma that I bought in 1969 at Lackeys Music in Newport News, Va. The darn Lackeys sticker is covering the model number. Are you from that neck of the woods?

:
: I am from That "neck of the woods". I bought a Yasuma from Harry Lackey at his store in Hampton in the early '70s. (See my previous post.) I have found out since then that K. Yasuma was in the furniture business (like competitor Yamaha was) and saw an opportunity to expand into a related business. Most of their output went to the UK but a few dealers in the states probably imported them themselves. They were no-doubt scared off by threatened lawsuits by Martin, as they are pretty good knock-offs and sounded better than many affordable American guitars from that time period. As I recall, several of my schoolmates bought Yasumas as an affordable move-up from the beginner guitars we got as kids. Harry's was strictly a "guitar store" no horns or drums as I recall. Gibson was his main line and he had a good selection of new and vintage(just "used" in those days)guitars.
: I just had a luthier friend check mine over and clean up the setup. It still sounds great. I have (except once) stuck to Lackey's recommendation to only use extra light strings. The bit of masking tape he put inside to remind me is still there. I put lights on one time and the action change scared the hell out of me. It probably could have been set up for them but it plays very well and plenty loud for solo efforts as is.
: It is good to hear that a few of them are still around and are appreciated.

Not sure but you maybe remember a band I was in back around that time, Tricks. We played all over the Tidewater area, east coast & midwest. When I first bought my Yasuma, I had never heard of them but was amazed at how good it played & sounded. Only problem is that the neck was pulling away from the body so I bolted it all the way through & put a strap nut on it, looks factory & it's worked fine for what, 30 some years. You got any idea what these things are worth?

: : : I am looking at a K. Yasuma Guitar that I believe may be a model 130. It has the Newance logo on the headstock and a serial number. There is no model number but the word Lackeys is on a label on the inside. Does anyone have any info about this guitar.
: That's weird. I have a Yasuma that I bought in 1969 at Lackeys Music in Newport News, Va. Sounds like the same Lackey's sticker that's in mine.

: : : I am looking at a K. Yasuma Guitar that I believe may be a model 130. It has the Newance logo on the headstock and a serial number. There is no model number but the word Lackeys is on a label on the inside. Does anyone have any info about this guitar.
: That's weird. I have a Yasuma that I bought in 1969 at Lackeys Music in Newport News, Va. The darn Lackeys sticker is covering the model number. Are you from that neck of the woods?

If asked if you like Balck People Larry, What would you say?

: I am looking at a K. Yasuma Guitar that I believe may be a model 130. It has the Newance logo on the headstock and a serial number. There is no model number but the word Lackeys is on a label on the inside. Does anyone have any info about this guitar.

Uncle Brisel says:
I have a Yasuma Newance D-18 copy I bought from Harry Lackey's shop on Mercury Blvd. in Hampton VA in 1972. Harry was quite a character - had lots of old string band instruments in the glass counters out front and photos of Bill Monroe and other greats as they passed through the Tidewater area "back in the day". Harry had sold my mom a little GHI guitar that got me started playing and the Yasuma was my first "grown-up" guitar. I still have it and it is only now getting to where it needs a neck reset. Most of my friends bought or traded-up to the fancier D-28 style, but I have always liked the simple business of the one I have. The Yasumas were certainly priced right - I think I paid $85-90 for the guitar and $30 for a decent case for it. The pricier ones ran to just over $200. I have currently 5 guitars and I still think it is a sweet sounding thing. That guy in Japan picked out some nice wood and put it together quite well - I think it sounds better now than new.

Yasuma Newance Model 130 guitar

We have a Yasuma Newance model 130 guitar that we are considering selling and wonder what it is worth. Like the size and sound.

Yasuma Custom model 46

Hello all Yasuma lovers,
I have a 1960s? model 46, rather smallish sort of parlour guitar that I have had since my teenage years. It is a lovely old box and I still play it every day.
It has a lovely bright tone and works best with strings .009 to .042, I find.
I have never seen another Yasuma guitar of any kind here in Australia although I believe a number of them made it here.
Just appreciating a great little guitar.
Cheers,
Geoffrey

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.