Decca Guitar

Posted by Daniel O'Rourke on Sat, 02/01/03 - 16:12:39.

I just bought from a thrift store a decca guitar that was imported from japan. I was wondering the history, worth, and any info about it.It does not have a year. Does anyone know about decca guitars

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Value of a decca Guitar

I have a decca guitar Model # DM1-206
What is its value?

Re: Decca Guitar

i think i have the exact same guitar as you do daniel. it's the same red into black faded with one pickup and no serial number tho. i'm looking everywhere for the exact model info etc. but i can't seem to find it either. i got it free froma guy i know and i had to replace the tuning heads, the strings and some of the ground wiring but now it's doing great. i love it. it has a really good sound for being so old!
rainu

Ive got a pretty long follow-up here...
I taught myself how to play on a beat-up old acoustic decca my mom let me have. I couldnt begin to guess how old it is, but it must be just that; its serial number is 129! It has a pretty decent sound, but i really should replace the strings. it has 18 frets and marks at 5 7 9 and 11. Theres no pickgaurd, the body is orangish wood with thick finish and the neck is some sort of dark wood. The damn thing gave me headaches when i was learning because the strings were so far from the fretboard and all incredibly thick too. It came with extra strings and medium and heavy picks. I dont think it would be worth too much now, especially in its condition.
I know that decca was (or is) a recording company that thought to produce cheap mail-order guitars, and that they made them from around the 60s and 70s.

its from the 70's but how much you want for it? let me know please In Christ jason

its from the 70's but how much you want for it? let me know please In Christ jason

: I just bought from a thrift store a decca guitar that was imported from japan. I was wondering the history, worth, and any info about it.It does not have a year. Does anyone know about decca guitars

I have a similar guitar to the one you bought. It was my grandmothers and I'm estimating it at over 30 years old. Very folk style. She told me she actually had the original strings from when she bought it! I believed her when i tuned the thing and the day after found that the 4th and 6th had snapped. From what i know, Decca just made guitars around that time, 60's to 70's. Mine says it has a steel reinforced neck and it is really heavy compared to others. its still in really good shape and I actually play it. I'm not planning on selling it but I know its well worth its age. It has a hand chissled Ser. # on the bridge.

I just bought a Decca MDI

I just bought a Decca MDI 259 nylon string guitar. Can anyone tell me about this particular model?

Decca guitar

I have a weird Decca guitar that my father-in law gave me. I know nothing about it. It is an acoustic, obviously old and it has 10 strings! The neck is normal and the first 4 strings E,B,G & D are in sets (like a 12 string) and the Low E and A are single. I play guitar and have never run across anything like this. I can't find information on it anywhere! I can't see where anyone customized it. It looks like it was originally made that way. Any thoughts or information you can give me on this?
Thank you for your time.
Bill

I received an old Deccas

I received an old Deccas acoustic guitar from my cousin and don't know anything about it. I haven't found a model number or anything on it that would tell me what model it is. Does anyone know where I can find information on the different models and see if mine matches up with any of them?

Decca distributed one guitar

I have a small guitar that I found among my grandmothers stuff. It I made in japan,distributed by Decca corp. the model # DMI-216. It is in mint condition box have it all

Decca acoustic 6 string

I am interested in selling mine. It has the original label inside that states 124. It is missing one string. How or where would I go about finding a buyer. Thanks for any help you can give!

6-string Decca

I have a 6-string (nylon) Decca, with a label inside with DMI 273 stamped. I bought it in the late '60's. Generally a serviceable instrument. Nice to see these comments.

: : I just was gave a decca guitar that was imported from japan. I was wondering the history, worth, and any info about it.It does not have a year. Does anyone know about decca guitars.Says dm1-206

: I have a similar guitar to the one you bought. It was my grandmothers and I'm estimating it at over 30 years old. Very folk style. She told me she actually had the original strings from when she bought it! I believed her when i tuned the thing and the day after found that the 4th and 6th had snapped. From what i know, Decca just made guitars around that time, 60's to 70's. Mine says it has a steel reinforced neck and it is really heavy compared to others. its still in really good shape and I actually play it. I'm not planning on selling it but I know its well worth its age. It has a hand chissled Ser. # on the bridge.

I OWN A DECCA ACOUSTIC. THEY ARE FROM THE 1960'S.AS LONG AS IT HAS THE LABLE INSIDE THE GUITAR IT IT WORTH $175.00 IN NEAR MIN COND..THEY WERE MADE BY TEISCO GUITARS AND WERE ONLY IN PRODUCTION FOR 3-4 YEARS.IF NO LABLE IT ONLY WORTH ABOUT $75.00.

i have one too its got the steel reinforced neck and i have a bunch of signatures on it. some of which are jim maddsen "dillard , ralph petrik "hector", judith petrik "annie", betsy chilton "holly", michael northrup "prince", nancy curry "A.D." , bob hansen "doc"?? i am not sure who they are yet but i will rearch them.

: i have one too its got the steel reinforced neck and i have a bunch of signatures on it. some of which are jim maddsen "dillard , ralph petrik "hector", judith petrik "annie", betsy chilton "holly", michael northrup "prince", nancy curry "A.D." , bob hansen "doc"?? i am not sure who they are yet but i will rearch them.

In reply to your "Decca Guitar" posting on September 10, 2009, the guitar was owned by Jim Madsen and all the signatures were cast members of the play, "Foxfire" performed in The Sioux City Community Theater", Sioux City, IA. Can't remember the date, but it was in the '90's.

: : I just bought from a thrift store a decca guitar that was imported from japan. I was wondering the history, worth, and any info about it.It does not have a year. Does anyone know about decca guitars

: I have a similar guitar to the one you bought. It was my grandmothers and I'm estimating it at over 30 years old. Very folk style. She told me she actually had the original strings from when she bought it! I believed her when i tuned the thing and the day after found that the 4th and 6th had snapped. From what i know, Decca just made guitars around that time, 60's to 70's. Mine says it has a steel reinforced neck and it is really heavy compared to others. its still in really good shape and I actually play it. I'm not planning on selling it but I know its well worth its age. It has a hand chissled Ser. # on the bridge.

I recently inharited a decca guitar, it is a model # 128 . I play it from time to time. I would also like to know its worth ,although im not intrested in saleing it .

: : I just bought from a thrift store a decca guitar that was imported from japan. I was wondering the history, worth, and any info about it.It does not have a year. Does anyone know about decca guitars

I grabbed a decca out of the garabage one day. Still in tact despite a few minor fixes. I have no knowledge of the history or who it's made by. I know that it is vintage and a hollow body electric. Anyone know anything?

My first electric was a Decca, and a friend had one too. Mine was the one pickup style and his had two pickups. This was back in 1972. These were cheap but played very well and I wish I still had mine. There's one on Ebay right now that's just like the one I had, only ten bucks so far. I remember the great sustain and feedback I could get through it playing Hendrix songs!

I have an old Decca guitar from my neighbor. It is around the 60's for sure. I was wondering if it is nylon or steel string? It's smaller than a steel string, but bigger than a nylon string. Mine is imported from Japan as wello. It has a sunburst color.

I have a Decca guitar that I have had for about 20 yrs.now.
Can anyone tell me about it's orgin or who was the manufacture of it.

is it acoustic or electric, it was made in the mid 60's there were very few models i have one, did have a bass,but sold it..
mine is a two pickup sunburst cutaway electric with a ballbat neck that could hit a home run every time..
Jerry Morgan
villagemusic

I bought a twelve string 1966 decca guitar and was wondering if anyone could tell me its worth,I payed $100 for it,it is in good shape for being over 40 years old,it has a few minor scratches but still in very good shape.It has a leopard-like almost flame design on the pickguard and head.Thanks.

: I just bought from a thrift store a decca guitar that was imported from japan. I was wondering the history, worth, and any info about it.It does not have a year. Does anyone know about decca guitars:

http://www.acousticguitar.com/issues/ag108/QandA108.html

I own a Decca guitar, it is what I learned to play on many years ago. From what little I have gathered about them they were an order by mail brand, and you could only get them from a catolog such as Sears & Roebuck. I havent been able to find a price for them or any ifo on what catalogs they were from. Mine has a Ernie Ball Musicman-like peghead (4 one side 2 on the other) and has a metal pick guard with 2 giant switches which seem to have no effect on tone. It has a brown & yellow sunburst paint job (ewwww).I thought I possibly had the only one in existence, lol, guess not.

decca guitar

just got this gutiar from my mom she in 1969 and its the only one in the world because its signed by jonny cash and van halen

Decca Guitars

On the write up some time ago concerning Decca Guitars, Robert stated they absolutely nothing to do with Decca Records. This is incorrect. I am a record collector and have 45rpm Decca record sleeves advertising "Decca Guitars". Obviously, there is a connection to Decca here.

I own a used, for parts Decca DMI-124 ACOUSTIC GUITAR.

It is a 3/4 size .If you are interested you can email me.

Re: Decca Guitar\12 string acustic\japan-newyork dist.

i was given a decca 12 string acustic made in japan distibuted in new york apears to have age i cannot find any numbers: any idea how to find information about it?

We recently bought a Decca at a auction of a storage shed it had been unopened in 30 or more years my husband loves to play since he was 4 years old so this really caught his eye also he recently bought a longstar do you know anything about them recently we bought a banjo from the 50's bought it for 10.00 . He loves the music .

: We recently bought a Decca at a auction of a storage shed it had been unopened in 30 or more years my husband
really likes these old ones his has this # inside does anyone know about this ?
Decca S101 hand crafted model # c2360 excellent shape
he says this is a 3/4 and its the kind Marty Robbins used ?
his has the paper deal inside

: I own a Decca guitar, it is what I learned to play on many years ago. From what little I have gathered about them they were an order by mail brand, and you could only get them from a catolog such as Sears & Roebuck. I havent been able to find a price for them or any ifo on what catalogs they were from. Mine has a Ernie Ball Musicman-like peghead (4 one side 2 on the other) and has a metal pick guard with 2 giant switches which seem to have no effect on tone. It has a brown & yellow sunburst paint job (ewwww).I thought I possibly had the only one in existence, lol, guess not.

: : I own a Decca guitar, it is what I learned to play on many years ago. From what little I have gathered about them they were an order by mail brand, and you could only get them from a catolog such as Sears & Roebuck. I havent been able to find a price for them or any ifo on what catalogs they were from. Mine has a Ernie Ball Musicman-like peghead (4 one side 2 on the other) and has a metal pick guard with 2 giant switches which seem to have no effect on tone. It has a brown & yellow sunburst paint job (ewwww).I thought I possibly had the only one in existence, lol, guess not.

I have been doing some study on Decca guitars for a little time now and i dont know much. but i have learned one very important factor to my search. Niether does any body else, including the guy who says hes a CEO for decca.Maybe decca needs a bail out from OBAMA!

I bought mine in Dec 71 from the Music Box in Hyattsville MD The action was poor and in trying to adjust it I broke the truss rod. was my first ever guitar =)

Was not mail order.

I found a Decca guitar lying in my woodworks shop at school, and my teacher let me take it home. My friend and I have been restoring it, and we nearly have it finished, the only thing missing is the tremolo spring. However the model of the guitar is kind of odd as we have not found any record of what type of guitar we own. Its a double cut-away archtop, with a tobacco sunburst and 3 single coil pick ups. We have looked everywhere and haven't been able to find any record of a 3 pick up Decca guitar. We're still looking...

I have a single pickup Decca guitar that was purchased for me around 1966 or 1967 for a Christmas present from my father. I think he purchase it at a discount store. Back then, every major discount store and big department stores sold guitars . It came with a small amp that is long gone.
It is dark brown and fades into a beige sunburst.I t has the Fender style neck, all tuning keys on one side, and actually still has a very good tone. It has the chrome pickguard. Probably not much value, just to me knowing how I got it. It was made in Japan.

: I have a single pickup Decca guitar that was purchased for me around 1966 or 1967 for a Christmas present from my father. I think he purchase it at a discount store. Back then, every major discount store and big department stores sold guitars . It came with a small amp that is long gone.
: It is dark brown and fades into a beige sunburst.I t has the Fender style neck, all tuning keys on one side, and actually still has a very good tone. It has the chrome pickguard. Probably not much value, just to me knowing how I got it. It was made in Japan.
I'm also retarded. And my father used to beat me with my decca.... Im also the ex-ceo for decca inc. Your guitars are worth mere pennies.... litterally, Deccas were originated in the late 60s for young children to pretend to be their idols.. Deccas were packaged in cereal boxes as ready-to-go kits.. you assembled them yourself... they are made from old left over popsicle sticks.. So Im glad to put your high hopes and sleepless nights of wondering whos going to come up to you and tell you your old guitar is rare and worth thousands... Because frankly it will just never happen..

I also have a single pickup Decca guitar I believe from 1970. It fades from brown to a yellowish color. It has a metallic pickguard and a metal rod over the strings on the head. I have searched for so long on any info of these mysterious guitars. Thanks.

: I own a Decca guitar, it is what I learned to play on many years ago. From what little I have gathered about them they were an order by mail brand, and you could only get them from a catolog such as Sears & Roebuck. I havent been able to find a price for them or any ifo on what catalogs they were from. Mine has a Ernie Ball Musicman-like peghead (4 one side 2 on the other) and has a metal pick guard with 2 giant switches which seem to have no effect on tone. It has a brown & yellow sunburst paint job (ewwww).I thought I possibly had the only one in existence, lol, guess not.

: : I own a Decca guitar, it is what I learned to play on many years ago. From what little I have gathered about them they were an order by mail brand, and you could only get them from a catolog such as Sears & Roebuck. I havent been able to find a price for them or any ifo on what catalogs they were from. Mine has a Ernie Ball Musicman-like peghead (4 one side 2 on the other) and has a metal pick guard with 2 giant switches which seem to have no effect on tone. It has a brown & yellow sunburst paint job (ewwww).I thought I possibly had the only one in existence, lol, guess not.

I wonder if Decca guitars have any relation to the big records label of the '40s - '70s

:Decca guitars were sold in record stores in the early 1960s

Man, there certainly are a lot of idiots out there -- like the guy who was using this electric guitar forum to dis Obama?!

Anyway, Decca guitars were made by the Teisco Corporation in Japan, beginning in about 1965. It had NOTHING to do with Decca Records, Decca Studios or anything other Decca trademarks used in Britain or the US. The Japanese just took the name because it sounded Anglo-American, and thus "cool" to the kids besotted with Beatlemania at the time.

Nor were Decca guitars made for or marketed to children. They were made at the same factory that made Teisco, Teisco del Rey, Kingston, Heit, Kawai and other brands of guitars. Some of these are quite decent beginner's instruments, and some are just flat out interesting/weird. No, they're not the same quality of a Gibson, Fender or Burns guitar from the same period, but they also cost a fraction of one of those guitars. And coincidentally, Fender guitars nowadays are largely made in Indonesia, China and Korea, places that *wish* they could make things as well as they can in Japan, so chew on that before you slag on Japanese-made guitars.

Of the brands that Teisco made and sold, Deccas seem to be somewhat more conservatively styled, and not as heavily loaded with electronics as, for example, Teisco branded models. They typically have 1 or 2 pickups, a vaguely Fender-shaped body, and a sunburst finish. AFAIK, Teisco stopped using the Decca brand name in about 1970.

Values? Well, with the prices of 1960s American and British guitars through the roof, collectors and musicians turn to the next-best-thing, and that would be European and Japanese guitars. In general, any made-in-Japan solid-body electric guitar in good cosmetic shape, that's complete and playable, is worth at least $100, and any acoustic-electric, at least twice that. The more pickups it has, the more elaborate the controls, and the more flashy the pickguard, the more it's worth. Same goes for the body and headstock shape. The standard shapes that copy Fender and other manufacturers aren't as desirable as some of the weirder shapes. A Decca solidbody with an unusual body shape, with 3 pickups and an unusual original finish would probably be in the $250-350 range to the right person. An acoustic-electric with the same specs would probably be worth $100 more than that. I've seen some of the exceptional Teisco solidbodies go for $500-600, but that's uncommon. In about 2006, I saw a Teisco (one of their Mosrite copies) from about 1967 that was in flawless condition for sale in an instrument shop in Tokyo for 200,000 Yen (about $1,900). I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for that.

Decca's flat-top acoustic guitars seem to usually sell for $50-75. They're not highly regarded because (a) acoustic guitars don't have the collecto-mania of electric guitars, except for certain brands (Martin, Gibson, etc.), and (b) the tonewoods Decca used were inferior to solid spruce as used by the aforementioned makers. Indeed, Decca often used plywood, which doesn't yield very good tone in an acoustic.

But in general, there's nothing wrong with Decca electric guitars, especially for indie musicians today who are looking for a vintage guitar with some character to it. Since most vintage guitar fans have seen every model that Gibson, Fender, et al, have ever made, many of the Japanese guitars of the '60s have a fresh look that stands out from the crowds. In 20 years, the M-i-J electric guitars of the '60s are going to be worth 4 or 5 times what they sell for now, and smart collectors who either can't afford Fenders, Gibsons and their ilk from that period, or who are interested in something more unusual, are already snapping them up.

ah, the slabby guitars of my youth

I could not afford an American or European guitar when I was 12, but Sam Ash sported a Japanese stratoslabber, with 1, 2, 3, or 4 pickups. Each extra pick up was another eight dollars! I bought the 2 pick up model for $24 and brought it home. What a square slab. The wood had the aspects of cardboard, it was probably what is called basswood. The pickups were single coil, chrome covered, and no better than a deArmond harp mike. My brother returned it, and bought a better looking tele style Japanese guitar I believe by Kent, with tin foil inserts in the pick ups. It went from Kandy apple red, to natural, to white, and finally to trunk-splatter grey with Seymour Duncan pickups and Grover tuners. I finally sold it in 2009.
I also picked up Teiscos over the years at garage sales, for 12- 20 dollars. Each brought me over $100 at sale this century. With upgraded electronics, they are nifty smaller guitars, much like the Squier Bullet Strats of this decade.
The wood on early mass produced acoustics from Japan were not very sonorous, and the tuners were sometimes spaced closer together than the standard configuration of European tradition.
All in all, a very interesting part of history. What Japan did with this industry was quite an accomplishment, ever increasing the quality of their production models. This is also true of their violins, which have become fantastic instruments.

1966 Decca DMI-203

I have a Decca that my uncle gave to my dad and he gave to me (I think, he's never really asked for it back since he doesn't play). It's in rough condition, has stripped and rusted screws with a lot of connection issues. But I love the shape, I love the pickguard, I love the all out retro look of it. Any idea on if I should spruce it up with some new screws and seeing what I can do to fix the wiring? And if so, how do I get the cash for such project?

Re: Decca Guitars

I have an acoustic Decca and a brand new Fender acoustic. Not only is the Decca easier for me to play because I have tiny little doll hands, I think it would hold tune if I threw it out of a moving car. I put both the Fender and the Decca into storage for two years - I just got them out recently. The Fender popped the B string and took a good twenty minutes to tune. The Decca was *STILL* *IN* *TUNE*. Plans have changed; I am selling the Fender and keeping the Decca!

Decca Guitar

I have a Decca Guitar that I purchased when I was in the 8th grade in 1970! I purchased it at record store. It came with a little amp that is now worm food in a landfill somewhere in th Meadowlands( right next to Jimmy Hoffa)LOL

Loved the guitar when I first got it. I still play it occasionally though a Fender PRINCETON 65 DSP. I have since modified the pick guitar to accommodate an additional telecaster pickup to give it a bluesy sound.

With the exception of the additional pickup and some new tuners, it still has all the original knobs, pots, electronic compoments, jack, bridge etc. Some chips out of the finish for character but it still sounds great!!

I have a Decca guitar says made in America - does that make a difference in quality?

: Man, there certainly are a lot of idiots out there -- like the guy who was using this electric guitar forum to dis Obama?!

: Anyway, Decca guitars were made by the Teisco Corporation in Japan, beginning in about 1965. It had NOTHING to do with Decca Records, Decca Studios or anything other Decca trademarks used in Britain or the US. The Japanese just took the name because it sounded Anglo-American, and thus "cool" to the kids besotted with Beatlemania at the time.

: Nor were Decca guitars made for or marketed to children. They were made at the same factory that made Teisco, Teisco del Rey, Kingston, Heit, Kawai and other brands of guitars. Some of these are quite decent beginner's instruments, and some are just flat out interesting/weird. No, they're not the same quality of a Gibson, Fender or Burns guitar from the same period, but they also cost a fraction of one of those guitars. And coincidentally, Fender guitars nowadays are largely made in Indonesia, China and Korea, places that *wish* they could make things as well as they can in Japan, so chew on that before you slag on Japanese-made guitars.

: Of the brands that Teisco made and sold, Deccas seem to be somewhat more conservatively styled, and not as heavily loaded with electronics as, for example, Teisco branded models. They typically have 1 or 2 pickups, a vaguely Fender-shaped body, and a sunburst finish. AFAIK, Teisco stopped using the Decca brand name in about 1970.

: Values? Well, with the prices of 1960s American and British guitars through the roof, collectors and musicians turn to the next-best-thing, and that would be European and Japanese guitars. In general, any made-in-Japan solid-body electric guitar in good cosmetic shape, that's complete and playable, is worth at least $100, and any acoustic-electric, at least twice that. The more pickups it has, the more elaborate the controls, and the more flashy the pickguard, the more it's worth. Same goes for the body and headstock shape. The standard shapes that copy Fender and other manufacturers aren't as desirable as some of the weirder shapes. A Decca solidbody with an unusual body shape, with 3 pickups and an unusual original finish would probably be in the $250-350 range to the right person. An acoustic-electric with the same specs would probably be worth $100 more than that. I've seen some of the exceptional Teisco solidbodies go for $500-600, but that's uncommon. In about 2006, I saw a Teisco (one of their Mosrite copies) from about 1967 that was in flawless condition for sale in an instrument shop in Tokyo for 200,000 Yen (about $1,900). I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for that.

: Decca's flat-top acoustic guitars seem to usually sell for $50-75. They're not highly regarded because (a) acoustic guitars don't have the collecto-mania of electric guitars, except for certain brands (Martin, Gibson, etc.), and (b) the tonewoods Decca used were inferior to solid spruce as used by the aforementioned makers. Indeed, Decca often used plywood, which doesn't yield very good tone in an acoustic.

: But in general, there's nothing wrong with Decca electric guitars, especially for indie musicians today who are looking for a vintage guitar with some character to it. Since most vintage guitar fans have seen every model that Gibson, Fender, et al, have ever made, many of the Japanese guitars of the '60s have a fresh look that stands out from the crowds. In 20 years, the M-i-J electric guitars of the '60s are going to be worth 4 or 5 times what they sell for now, and smart collectors who either can't afford Fenders, Gibsons and their ilk from that period, or who are interested in something more unusual, are already snapping them up.

my decca guitar

hey i have a decca guitar 2 pick ups sight body damage. i bought it for 7 us dollars included amp (amp doesnt work).i put probably 50 dollars into repairs on other thing such as new strings. another repair i made was where the neck connects to the body of the guitar someone unscred that plate pulling the guitar apart shoved "wallpaper or tissue box pieces" in it screwed i back together. i cant find any similar guitars like this in shape. but it has the decca trademark. no model numbers or anything. my guess is someone took a fender body and replaced the neck, becausee the neck doesnt line up with the body. there is 1 tone dial 1 volume control 2 pick ups 6 strings a "whammy bar" which is held up by a thick spring about an inch long. the whammy bar does fold back to the guitar wich caused most of the scratches before i recieved this guitar. please email me if you understand what im saying and have something nice to say especially if it is worth more than $7.50. aain my email adress is nuckthebuck@aol.com. my name is Craig Nuckles.

Re: my decca guitar

still have it. but it stopped communication with the amp

I just got a Decca guitar at a flea marketin Indiana. I just started playing so i wanted a cheap one..it was only 15$! It's not all that bad though it was also made in Japan and has some sort of mexican design around the carved out circle thingy email me if anyone finds out the worth or anything thanks!

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.