Suzuki GR-20

Posted by Steve Colley on Sat, 12/27/03 - 11:28:50.

Has anybody got any info on this model? I have had it for 25 years and wouldn't swap it. It has such a beautiful rich tone to it that improves each year.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

It is a Gallagher copy. Not

It is a Gallagher copy. Not a martin copy. Look at the swirled headstock. That is your clue.

Suzuki GR-20

This is an amazing sounding acoustic guitar I bought it from a friend who was selling some pieces of his guitars collection I just fell in love with this one when I played it and I paid my friend the 600 English pounds that he wanted for it.
It is one of the most comfortable and sweet sounding acoustic guitar I've played.
The sound is so well balanced and it has a beatiful range of high-mid frequencies and a lovely overall tone that you would never get tired of it.

Suzuki gr20 three s.

These guitars were made is Japan in the 70s when Suzuki were a violin company.
They were inspired by Martin d-28 which were popular at the time.
They are spruce solid top with Brazilian rosewood back and sides with a very well done separation in the middle.
Slim neck make them awesome to play.
I got mine from a guy who said it was rubbish, he couldn't tune it or it wouldn't stay in tune.
When I bought it I replaced the 5+ year old strings and it plays flawlessly.
I would consider it better than a lot of high prices guitars and they are now quite sought after.
If you have one of these guitars, congratulations on acquiring one if the most under rated and best build guitars ever made.

Re: Suzuki GR-20

I have one, it's not the three-S series but just says Suzuki EST 1887 on the headstock. It's rosewood, but I can't tell if it's solid or laminated. serial no. 751210. I really love it. . . It's way louder than almost any all other acoustic i've played. Sounds fantastic. . . and got it for free from a friend that moved out of town.

That's not the serial number

If that's the numbers at the base of the neck inside then I have believe that's not the serial number but is the date of manufacture.
So that would be December 10 1975

: Has anybody got any info on this model? I have had it for 25 years and wouldn't swap it. It has such a beautiful rich tone to it that improves each year.
Yes I have one I bought it new in 1983. I put a "Shadow" bridge pick up on it and a pre amp.
The guitar has done many shows & has been used in
the recording studio also.I paid $385 Australian back then, but it has been the best value instrument I have ever bought.
Regards, Bassman.

I got one, bought in the PX in Heilbronn Germany in 1978. It is on its third bridge and third fret job. The bridge is cracked badly parallel to the bridgepin holes. The bridgepins will no longer fit in the bridgepin holes cause the holes are completely rutted out so I put nails in the string eyelets and then slide washers down the strings to hold the strings in place from under the bridge. The guy I brought it to to put new tuners on it, Walter at Musical Exchange here in Austin, put the new tuners in without pre-drilling in the holes and cracked the headstock on both sides almost immediately on installation. The neck is cracked but re-glued at the butt of the neck where it meets the body. But despite all these battle scars, the fininsh looks nice and the guitar sounds and plays great. I still love it and usually keep it in open g tuning to reduce the stress. I also keep nylon coated strings on it cause I do not play it so often cause it is in open tunings. I have a fishman undersaddle pickup/preamp system in it. I learned how to play on this guitar and it has great sentimental value to me but even though I know it is not worth that much money I would still want a lot more than it is worth before I would consider selling it even in its battered condition.

Got my GR-20 fixed.

Got my GR 20 fixed, new rosewood bridge, head stock cracks glued. The guitar sounds just OK, good but not great. I have had other guitars, Martins and Taylors and those dreads mostly sound better. I use my Suzi for open tuning, mostly in G, and use better guitars for regular tunings.

I got one, bought in the PX in Heilbronn Germany in 1978. It is on its third bridge and third fret job. The bridge is cracked badly parallel to the bridgepin holes. The bridgepins will no longer fit in the bridgepin holes cause the holes are completely rutted out so I put nails in the string eyelets and then slide washers down the strings to hold the strings in place from under the bridge. The guy I brought it to to put new tuners on it, Walter at Musical Exchange here in Austin, put the new tuners in without pre-drilling in the holes and cracked the headstock on both sides almost immediately on installation. The neck is cracked but re-glued at the butt of the neck where it meets the body. But despite all these battle scars, the fininsh looks nice and the guitar sounds and plays great. I still love it and usually keep it in open g tuning to reduce the stress. I also keep nylon coated strings on it cause I do not play it so often cause it is in open tunings. I have a fishman undersaddle pickup/preamp system in it. I learned how to play on this guitar and it has great sentimental value to me but even though I know it is not worth that much money I would still want a lot more than it is worth before I would consider selling it even in its battered condition.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.