1971 Guild D 35

Posted by Paul Spillenger on Tue, 01/21/03 - 22:51:52.

I own a 1971 Guild D 35 NT, which I bought ... in 1971. I have a couple of questions.

1. When I bought this guitar, I was 15 and not too obsessed with the details of its manufacture. I love its sound, which has only improved with the years, but I don't know anything about its construction. Can anyone tell me what woods it is made of, and anything else about its construction you might care to add?

2. What is the general consensus on the quality of this guitar? In the last couple of years I have gotten seriously into flatpicking, and I notice it doesn't quite have the clarity, especially on the treble strings, I would prefer to have for this style of playing, though this could be a set-up/maintenance issue as well as intrinsic to the guitar itself. So, what's the word on the 1971 Guild D 35?

Thanks.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: 1971 Guild D 35

I too own a 70/71 D-35 Guild. I bought it ised (almost like new) in 1973 and paie $259.00 for it - I still have the sales slip. It has mahogany back and sides, spruce top. Mine is original except I changed the machine heads to Grover Tunematics about 20 years ago.
I used my Guild for many types of playing applications, from folk to bluegrass to fingerstyle picking and it has responded very well over the years. In fact, I always said I would not trade it for many of the Martins I've heard (that was a lie, I would have traded it! Ha!)
Seriously, the Guild has been a great guitar and the sound has improved over the years. The sound is a little thin on the bottom end but you can't have everything for $250 bucks.
I now also own a 2001 Martin Herringbone D-28. To compare, the Martin is like driving a Buick and the Guild is like a Chevy Malibou. The Martin has the "boom" on the bottom end and the "ring" on the top that most people like for bluegrass and flatpicking in general. That comes from the Sitka spruce top, rosewood back and sides and, in the case of the Herringbone, scalloped bracing.
The Guild's mahogany gives and warmer tone and a nice, overall sound for accompanying your vocals or another person singing. Teh Guild would compare favourably to most J-45 Gibsons as the construction woods are the same. Problems arise when you are playing with two or three other instruments, the Guild's voice can easily get lost in the group.
Hope this helps. I love my Guild and would never part with it. Since I got my Martin, I've been much more aware of taking care of the wood with humidifiers and making sure the instrument doesn't dry out. The Guild has come along for the ride and sits in my guitar room with the Martin benefiting from all that great moisture in the air - something it never had for the past 38 years.

Enjoy the Guild and take care of it.

Re: 1971 Guild D 35

Found your 2 year old question but thought I'd answer anyway. I have a 1976 D35 NT. Go to:
http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Guild/D-35-01.html

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.