Re: Guild F-40 '74 Info PLESE

Posted by Alton Rex on Sat, 10/04/03 - 12:31:02.

Hi Billy,

I've owned two of these guitars. First one, I bought new in '71 was stolen in '76 and I yearned for it constantly. The second one I bought used was a '76 model, and is my preferred stage instrument to date. I tour nationally as a performing songwriter and perform primarily in solo and duo settings, and it's perfect for these situations. When I play in larger 'bluegrass' style ensembles... I use a dreadnaught guitar as it is much easier to 'play under' the rest of the band during solos. But I prefer the Guild when I'm fronting the band on my original music or playing solo.

The F40 features a slightly wider than normal fingerboard and is known for it's one-piece, hand carved arched back -which is why they don't have any bracing on the back. The design of the back provides exceptional projection from this instrument. The F40 is a smaller version of the F50 Jumbo made by Guild. In the 50's the Jumbo body style was a big hit with acoustic delta blues players for it's fat sound when carrying the chord comp, and for it's brilliant bottleneck and lead voices.

The soundboard (face) is a split-top spruce with scalloped braces. If you're going to install a pick-up in your instrument, I recommend the Fishman Matrix II which was specifically engineered for Jumbo body guitars. In fact, the matrix II is my preference for ALL acoustic applications as it has double the output of the matrix I. The only downside of any of the matrix pickups is you will most certainly want a instrument processor in line to your PA or your recording gear if you're using the pickup for recording applications. I use the Boss model AD-5 acoustic instrument processor as it allows me to model a number of different microphones via the pickup, and provides really excellent feedback controls. It's great for live stage applications, but I still prefer a large diaphram mic for recording applications - though I do use the pickup for recording in my living room when the recordings are simply a 'scratch-pad' for songwriting. There are other good options besides the AD-5, such as the AD-3 by Boss, and LR Baggs makes a good system too.

I think the reason you don't hear much about the F40 is they were not made in great quantity and were not manufactured for very long. The model came out in the early 70's and before it could really get recognized, Guild was bought out by Fender (post Leo Fender days) and the model was no longer made after that. It's my all time favorite acoustic guitar - though if I could find a pre-war Martin or Gibson I could afford... I hope I've helped you some!

peace,
Alton Rex
www.altonrex.com

: considering buying a beautiful F-40 but don't know much about them.
: why is there so little info on the web about the F-40. is there something i don't know. ANY info would be helpful. THANKS.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I have a mint Guild F-40 Blonde with all original paperwork from 1970's including original warantee papers. The hardshell case is in great shape as well. I love this guitar but I may have to sell it. I am out of work now for 6 months and am disabled.

F 40

Do you still have the F 40? If so how much are you asking?

I know it's been a year, but I'm very interested in buying this if it's still available.

I am sorry for your troubles. But I have been looking for a Guild F-40 in good condition. Are you still interested in selling?

79 F40 Blonde

I have a 79 F40 blnd in near mint cond w original hard case. Thinking of trading it for a les paul this weekend. I realize this was an old post, but i was researching the guitar & found this.

Im in florida

I have a Guild F40 that i could sell, any offers?

: Hi Billy,

: I've owned two of these guitars. First one, I bought new in '71 was stolen in '76 and I yearned for it constantly. The second one I bought used was a '76 model, and is my preferred stage instrument to date. I tour nationally as a performing songwriter and perform primarily in solo and duo settings, and it's perfect for these situations. When I play in larger 'bluegrass' style ensembles... I use a dreadnaught guitar as it is much easier to 'play under' the rest of the band during solos. But I prefer the Guild when I'm fronting the band on my original music or playing solo.

: The F40 features a slightly wider than normal fingerboard and is known for it's one-piece, hand carved arched back -which is why they don't have any bracing on the back. The design of the back provides exceptional projection from this instrument. The F40 is a smaller version of the F50 Jumbo made by Guild. In the 50's the Jumbo body style was a big hit with acoustic delta blues players for it's fat sound when carrying the chord comp, and for it's brilliant bottleneck and lead voices.

: The soundboard (face) is a split-top spruce with scalloped braces. If you're going to install a pick-up in your instrument, I recommend the Fishman Matrix II which was specifically engineered for Jumbo body guitars. In fact, the matrix II is my preference for ALL acoustic applications as it has double the output of the matrix I. The only downside of any of the matrix pickups is you will most certainly want a instrument processor in line to your PA or your recording gear if you're using the pickup for recording applications. I use the Boss model AD-5 acoustic instrument processor as it allows me to model a number of different microphones via the pickup, and provides really excellent feedback controls. It's great for live stage applications, but I still prefer a large diaphram mic for recording applications - though I do use the pickup for recording in my living room when the recordings are simply a 'scratch-pad' for songwriting. There are other good options besides the AD-5, such as the AD-3 by Boss, and LR Baggs makes a good system too.

: I think the reason you don't hear much about the F40 is they were not made in great quantity and were not manufactured for very long. The model came out in the early 70's and before it could really get recognized, Guild was bought out by Fender (post Leo Fender days) and the model was no longer made after that. It's my all time favorite acoustic guitar - though if I could find a pre-war Martin or Gibson I could afford... I hope I've helped you some!

: peace,
: Alton Rex
: www.altonrex.com

: : considering buying a beautiful F-40 but don't know much about them.
: : why is there so little info on the web about the F-40. is there something i don't know. ANY info would be helpful. THANKS.

: Hi Billy,

Do you have any more info on the F40?

I bought an F40sb (sunburst) in 1981. The instrument is beautiful and sounds great. I would never sell it, but I am curious about its street value.

Thank you, AW

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.