Guild Madeira guitars

Posted by Bill on Tue, 09/11/01 - 03:06:28.

Madeira Guitars used to be Guilds import brand. Just like Epiphone is to Gibson now. They were first made in Japan with USA parts then were made in Korea with USA parts by Samick.(which also still makes Sigma for Martin, Epiphone for Gibson, and Squire for Fender but not with USA parts anymore). The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone altho the abalone was fake. The Madeira is a fine instrument that will last a lifetime if taken care of. Very close to the USA Guilds and Gibsons with only the assembly being done in a different country while using identical parts as their American brothers. NOTHING sold in todays market for under $1000 will compare with a 70s-80s Madeira, Epiphone, Yamaha, Hondo, Alvarez, or Suzuki. My 35 years of guitar experience knows this to be true.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Madiera A-7

Beautiful A7 for sale on Reverb https://reverb.com/item/2984462-guild-rare-a-7-a7-mahogany-madiera-acoustic-dreadnought-guitar-1970-s-vintage-beauty-w-case

Madeira classical C600

I have a Madeira C600 classical guitar. I have read all I can find on the net, but no one mentions anything about that inst. when it has NO SERIAL number... I have looked inside for the usual locations...even used a mirror for hidden spots. Can anyone enlighten me...country of origin, approx. age.. any comments welcome ! Thank you

Madeira Model # A I-N/serial number M1077 info..

Hello. I found this site researching my step dad's guitar. He passed away a few years back and i bought all of his guitars from his brother. This little gem is in perfect condition and plays and sounds great! It has nice, rich tones and is mahogany. I suspect this guitar is pre-1960 because of the serial number. I have looked at several sites that say Guild serial numbers pre-1960 were not kept well. Anyone have info or a website that can verify this? Thanks.

MADEIRA EG-41 BLK

Does anyone know something about this electric one? MADEIRA EG 41 BLK
I found couple of places selling it for around 450$.
Is this guitar that old? I have one but looks a bit old also.
Should I sell it?
Any idea...Thanks.

model a12

I have a model A12, 12 string in beautiful shape. The head is rectangular with round corners. The inside tag has no dates or location. how could I find out what year and country of manufacturing? I can send pictures.

Madeira FD w 4100

Hi all,
I just bought a Madeira FD w 4100 acustic guitar. it sounds a looks amazing. I know nothing abut this guitar as well as the young guy that sold it to me that just said: "someone gave it to my futher"...
I can not find anything on the web regarding that model, can anyone direct me?
thanks a mill,
Sam

Guild Madeira A 20

Does anyone know what a Madeira A 20 is worth (1970's )54

Madeira guitars

I see lots of people asking how to tell if their Madeira is a Japanese or Korean model and it is actually quite easy to tell, just look at the headstock if it has just a simple rectangular shape it is one of the early Japanese ones it it is rounded on top then it is a Korean one I'm not sure what year the change was but that is how you can tell which country it was made in!
Now as to the quality of an old Madeira I can tell you this much, My A-40 Concert box has been played by some Major players over the years including Steve Miller and Taj Mahal and basically everyone that has played it agrees that it is a excellent instrument that they would be proud to own! For sound and tonal quality as well as playability the upper grade Madeira's are definitely comparable to Gibson, Guild and Martin models that cost well over $1,000!

Japan made A35

I have a Madeira Model A35 with rounded head stock that was made in Japan.

Madeira c600

I have a c600 Madeira Classical Guitar. My Dad Aaron Shearer gave it to me about 30 years ago. I'm not sure how to date it. There are no markings on it except for the Model # Label. Any help would be appreciated.

Madeira C-600 serial #0497

I have the same model and have no clue as to age and value. Any help?

A-12 madiera guitar

I am looking for an A-12 Madeira guitar for a reasonable price or just the metal adjustable saddle for one and top nut.

Madeira A2 SERIAL No 8117.

I purchased the above guitar in London early 80's. Does anyone have any info on it?
I was going to sell it and buy something better as it did not cost me much. Is this a good idea and how much would I have to spend to get a similiar quality now?
Cheers

Madeira

I have a Madeira bought new in the 1975 or 1976. It cost $116. I went to the music store to buy something new and had to talk myself into the Madeira because even back then, that was incredibly inexpensive. But it sounded unbelievable.

And it still does. Neck is straight, top is flat, fantastic action.... and the sound will still stack up against anything.

All I've done in 30+ years was change the open tuners for some closed ones (cheapos). One of these days I'll put some Grovers on there. Nothing wrong with the cheapos... but this thing deserves nice hardware.

Oh, and I had to refinish the back because it got a bad scratch from rough handling in my dorm room. I put nitro on it and it peeled off. Turns out they are finished in poly. Sanded off the lacquer, sprayed it with poly out of a rattle can... hand rubbed it after a month of dry time... still looks perfect.

madeira 12 string

when did madeira switch from japan to korea....I have a 12 string AM-12 with serial# starting with M

madeira acostic mdl #a2

guiter was given to me would like to sell cant find any info on value can anyone help

Madeira Guitar 1974

I bought my first guitar in 1974 with a combination of grass cutting money and money I made working off shore on the oil rigs one summer before my highschool senior year. I still have it, completely all blond, maple body, neck and frett board. The model says A30MF, serial # 41044. It is beautiful to behold still, 38 years later. I payed somewhere in the range of $400-$450, don't remember exactly, just that was $400 something. Only marks are the burns on the fretts where I played a lot of notes on those fretts, and chords. Mostly lower register, 5th frett and below. I have a Martin and Taylor, besides my electrics, and basses, I keep it on a stand to play occasionally, keep fresh strings on it, just because it is special, that it was my first, and money was hard to earn and save at 16 and 17 years old. I can't find any country mark or lable. I just noticed that the back of the neck is really worn. The inner tag does say "Madeira, Model A30MF, adjusted and distributed by exclusively by Guild". Then 41044 beneath. Any feedback of it's value or history would be appreciated. Thanks, Kev

A3 Madeira Serial #80430

I would like to know more about my guitar. It was an inheritance and I want to give it to my son. I can't find anything anywhere. If there is no answer, can someone at least tell me where I can find one.

Guild Guitar

On Guilds Serial # website it appears your guitar was built in 1973. If it is marked as Madeiros it was likely built in Japan. If it marked as Guild and Made In USA on the back of the head stock or on the interior label it was likely built in Hoboken, NJ or Westerly, RI - It should tell you on the label if it is still intact.

Madeira

I have a Madeira 12 string Model P812, serial # A 2108, it is in fair to good condition. My question is when was it made and what value it may have. I have no intrest in parting with it as it was a gift from a stranger. It does need a set of tuning keys as their are some missing and broken. so another question is it possible to replace them with original hardware and or there replacement in other brands that will do the trick.
Thank you for any advice in this matter
I pray you have a blessed day

Hunter G Crawford
Gentleation Ministry
email; gentleationministry@gmail.com

Replacement of tuning keys.

Hi Hunter. I just bought a Madeira 12 string & it came today! Actually, I'm in the process of putting new strings on it & came to the computer to find some instructions, as I've never strund a 12 string before....Anyway, I just saw on eBay there are sets of tuners for for the Maderia 12. They are about $19.00 with $9 something shipping. I bet these would work fine! Have a grateful day!, Mike

12 strings

Hello sir, Any electronic tunning device will work to tune a 12 string.

Guild Madeira guitar

I received an A-10N Guild Madeira guitar as a gift, just wondering what it is worth?

Re: Guild Madeira guitars c600 when was it made

: Madeira Guitars used to be Guilds import brand. Just like Epiphone is to Gibson now. They were first made in Japan with USA parts then were made in Korea with USA parts by Samick.(which also still makes Sigma for Martin, Epiphone for Gibson, and Squire for Fender but not with USA parts anymore). The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone altho the abalone was fake. The Madeira is a fine instrument that will last a lifetime if taken care of. Very close to the USA Guilds and Gibsons with only the assembly being done in a different country while using identical parts as their American brothers. NOTHING sold in todays market for under $1000 will compare with a 70s-80s Madeira, Epiphone, Yamaha, Hondo, Alvarez, or Suzuki. My 35 years of guitar experience knows this to be true.

guild 712 madeira serial number a1937

just wondering when it was made , what its made of, and the worth , thank you it sounds like no other 12 string i have played before it sounds great and is very easy to finger pick any info on this matter would be great thank you

Madeira C600

I have a Madeira C600, made in Japan that I bought in the fall of 1975 from the Whittle Music Company in Dallas, Texas. It was purchased for my daughter, age 9, to learn to play. After four lessons it was determined that this was not for her. It is in the original case.
The guitar and case are in new condition. The guitar has actually never been played. There is a made in Japan sticker on the neck of the guitar, The serial number is 7554. The strings are nylon. I am interested in selling and can send pictures.

WTB: Madeira P712 12 string

I am looking to buy a Madeira P712 or a P812 12 string acoustic. Contact me to excange info for pictures and Description.
Thanks

Madeira p812

Hi, i have a Madeira P812 12 string acoustic model if you are interested, let me know

Madiera 12 string

I have a P712, how does it differ from a P812 ??? If you decide to sell your P812, please let me know I would be interested. I would be interested in buying a P712 - 12 string also. Please let me know.

Thanks
Don

Re: Guild Madeira guitars

: Madeira Guitars used to be Guilds import brand. Just like Epiphone is to Gibson now. They were first made in Japan with USA parts then were made in Korea with USA parts by Samick.(which also still makes Sigma for Martin, Epiphone for Gibson, and Squire for Fender but not with USA parts anymore). The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone altho the abalone was fake. The Madeira is a fine instrument that will last a lifetime if taken care of. Very close to the USA Guilds and Gibsons with only the assembly being done in a different country while using identical parts as their American brothers. NOTHING sold in todays market for under $1000 will compare with a 70s-80s Madeira, Epiphone, Yamaha, Hondo, Alvarez, or Suzuki. My 35 years of guitar experience knows this to be true.

Hi. Can you tell me what year the A-18 model was made?

Madeira A30-R

That AR-30 was the first acoustic guitar that I had ever bought. While at University in 1977 I became quite broke one month, and so in order to eat and as it was the only object that I owned of any value, sold it to a neighbor in my dorm, who, while having a bad trip on LSD one Friday night proceeded to scream "EL KABONG" and did his rendition of an angst teenage Pete Townshend, smashing the poor and innocent guitar repeatedly on the hard green and white tiled floor until all he had left in his hands was the bloody stump of the neck.

Madeira A30R

Back in the early - mid 1970s I purchased a new Madeira A-30R from a music shop in Fleet (UK). I can't remember how much I paid for it, but won't have been much as I had only just started work then.
I've still got it; it's unmarked, and still plays beautifully.
The serial number is either 27001 or 270015 - the final digit is very blurred and cound be anything.
Any suggestions as to how I can find out more about when this guitar was made please.
Cheers

Madeira

TI own a Madeira 6string acoustic left to me by my father, which he was given by a terminal cancer friend in the early 80's. The lable inside has two underline marks, top is model#, which is smeared & the second line directly under it reads a seven digit serial # starting with 66 . I'm definitely definitely not looking to sell, but i really would like to know it's year of origin.. i have read how Guild/Madeira overthe years has lost or destroyed records over the years. Does anyone out there have any info (personal, or to) when my sweet little Baby was made? I've been going bat-shit over the years searching for info! All i get when i show it is offers for good money for it due to it's sound & excellent condition. Can anyone help out with some knowledge / pretty please? Side note- already offered a couple different good quality acoustics for trade. More than two were pricie- and sounded good, but didn't have the sound, or action. I'm 35 now, i started playing it ( trying to) when i was nine or ten years old. And i noticed around my early teens that it sounded better with age. It sounds & plays many times more incredible these days!..

Madeira A-35r by Guild

Anybody have any idea what a guitar like this is worth? I paid $37, yes $37. I had it restrung at a Guitar Shop, big for our area of 150,000 population and the tech had never heard of Madeira. He is trained through a guitar college of music.

The fret board is worn somewhat but it plays nice. Only cosmetic issue is fading on the back.

Any information is good information.

Thanks,

Madeira Model C600 Guild

Can you tell me anything about this guitar

Hi. Can you tell me what year the A-18 model was made? Also, an approximate value for a guitar in decent shape?

: Hello. Can you tell me what year the A-11 model serial # (00760) was made? Plus, a approximate value for a guitar in good shape,sound & play ability.

Madeira a 12a s/n 78668

when was my guitar made?

Re: Guild Madeira C600

:Trying to get info about my father's Madeira C600. It is in excellent condition with original case.

I have an A-12, Paid about $350.00 about 1977. Still have it and just had the neck and frets reworked, plays nice...they are laminent tops though not solid. Great action for a 12 string with somewhat thin necks. very little information seems to be out there and hard to put a value on them today.

Re: Guild Madeira guitars Model A12

I was given a Madeira 12 string large guitar along with my two brothers, Christmas 1970. Model A-12, abalone I guess, dont remember any abalone? I do remember the label saying Guild A 12 and it was the most awesome guitar I ever had.. I learned to play on it and have never stopped. It was stolen from me and there is one just like it on Ebay on consignment. But, I just got a Dean 12-string that is awesome for around $550 at Guitar Center a few months back that is also electric even though I dont use it that way much. I prefer this guitar over the many I have including acoustics and electrics as I am a strummer and picker. Sears sold the Madeira to my parents for about $50 each. They want $300 on ebay. It had awesome sound though. And easy to play, I was able to play it and write songs the first day I owned it. Taylor and Guild and Dean are great guitars. Well I still love my Ibanez hollowbody and elecs and Schecter Hellraiser is awesome long as I have the pedal board and goodies. But most of all I just wanted to tell you that a Guild is a great long lasting guitar! I took that thing to the beach, I lemon oiled it to clean it I loved it and it slept next to me at many a camp fire. It had a stell neck and awesome action. I miss it ;-(

I just got an A-12

I got it at an online auction for $82, but I can tell from the pictures it's pretty beat up. It even has holes in the side, but that never stopped Willie Nelson. What I am concerned about is if it will need a neck reset. 12 strings of pressure over 30 years is a lot!

I'm going to have it shipped to my 16 year old niece because she lives a lot closer, and ask her to string it up for me and bring it when she comes to visit in a few months. But what if it's so good she won't give it up? Then she'll get a new vintage 12-string guitar, I guess - LOL! Giving people guitars makes me happy. Say Hi to Arlo for me, and tell him he was amazing at the Newport Folk Festival in 1985.

Guild Madeira Guitars

Hello! I see lots of folks asking about & relating their stories about the various Guild Madeira Guitars. They ARE great aren't they!?.... I bought my first one about 20 years ago at a Guitar Show in Indianapolis IN. I was looking for a decent acoustic guitar to use for open tunings with a brass slide to play the great ole' "Delta Blues". I found an, A-30M that fit the bill. I think I gave about $160 & it had a clap board case... It turned out to be just AWESOME! I gave it to my nephew about 8 years ago for his 21st birthday, just on the spur of the moment. He seemed to like it & needed a good beater, back seat type of guitar as he was moving to Portland OR. He played my Ovation & the Madeira & I asked which one he liked best, and surprising me he said the Madeira. (Good thing. Coz he wasn't getting my Ovation I bought new in 1972!) Anyway, he still has it & he's sent me pictures of it in all kinds of places all around the country! The Oregon Mts. (Moultnomah Falls), the desert, grand canyon, Babtist Church in MISS, New Orleans Swamp, Sunset Strip, Nashville TN, Houston TX, Cocoa Beach FL, Pike Place Market in Seattle WA..... and on & on.... I put them in an album. Pretty cool huh?... I had taken it a long way & figured it was time for a "changing of the guard", so to speak. I'd written lot's on songs on it & he's done the same.....
Anyway, that started my love affaire with Madeiras. I currently have 4. Another A-30M, an A-12, an A-6 and a P812 which I just bought last week! It's the huge Blond Maple 12 string. Lordy! That thing sounds good!.... So, if you have a question or a story, I'd just love to hear them!!!! You know, we should start a club, a group, or uh...??? A movement...Yes! A MOVEMENT!!!!! As my good friend Arlo (Yes, THAT Arlo!) would say!...... So come-on you Madeira freaks! Jump on board the Madeira train!!..... Send your stories to me at brassslide@hotmail.com and if I get enough entheusiasm, I'll post them all somewhere!.... Sounds like fun doesn't it!? And this is for young & old & everybody in between! I'm Mike & I'm a 60 year old Madeira Freak!!

Guild Madeira

To Melanie. I have a guild Madeira model A12. Almost the same story. Got it for Christmas when I was 16 and have drug it everywhere since. Also a "picker". I considering selling it. I think I need a 6 strung in my old age. Are you interested?
Gail

Re: Guild Madeira guitars A-30R Neck

I have an A-30R that I obtained in the mid 70's. It was a trade at Big Sur for my crappy Yamaha. Met a person camping who had this guitar with a broken neck tied with a twine. Anyway, I got the neck repaired years ago, but now it is tweaked. Worth replacing the neck?

Re: Guild Madeira guitars A-30R Neck

: I have an A-30R that I obtained in the mid 70's. It was a trade at Big Sur for my crappy Yamaha. Met a person camping who had this guitar with a broken neck tied with a twine. Anyway, I got the neck repaired years ago, but now it is tweaked. Worth replacing the neck?

I have an A-30-M that I to have owned sence late 70's . I love this guitar , What kind of price does that have.

In the early part of 1971 I had the good fortune to play a Madeira (A25 ?) and feel in love w/ the sound and incredible action. Saving up the needed $79.00 from my $ 1.35/hr p/t college job, I went to a local music whse store that had hundreds of guitars hanging from the ceiling, but alas, they were out of "my" axe. They did however, have several A30-Ms at the outrageous cost of $110.00 ! After playing all of them and finding one I could not live without, I borrowed against my next check from some understanding friends and have enjoyed this fine instrument for the last 38 yrs. I discovered this site trying to locate another for my stepson so mine doesn't dissappear.

Madeira A 25

I just wanted to write about my A 25 serial no 92085 , which I bought in 1982 at Ivor Mairants in London and still love to play it.
Looking back now, the fact that such a reputable shop as Mairants , though the owner changed after the death of its founder, had the brand
as its stock speaks for itself the quality the guitar. Just like Paul, I was a student and played many guitars except expensive ones
I could not afford and as soon as I ried one stroke, I was immediately impressed by the Madeira for its solid neck construction, ease of play and much deeper sound than many others I played the day. I had been playing guitar for ten years already by then. I was surprised at finding Guild logo and made in Japan mark inside its sound hall and felt understood why I was impressed by the quality. I don not remember the price but must be less than £ 100. I have been playing it for more than 30 years since then. I now own more expensive guitars as Dutch hand crafted guitar which is played also by Steve Howe, Martin D 18 GE among others. I can easily say the action is the best and the sound is very good admitting each guitar sounds different. I refretted, changed nut and saddle from original plastic ones to bone also changed pins to ebony.These simple upgrades further improve its sound. I tried to find out which Japanese manufacturer was actually building these guitars from Guild supplied materials but have been unsuccessful so far. My guess at the moment are either Moridaira, currently called "Morris" for the similarity in name or Suzuki Violine which was then building many OEM guitars for both domestic and overseas manufacturers at quite high standard of skill thanks to its excellent music instrument craft
experience.
Nobby

: : Madeira Guitars used to be Guilds import brand. Just like Epiphone is to Gibson now. They were first made in Japan with USA parts then were made in Korea with USA parts by Samick.(which also still makes Sigma for Martin, Epiphone for Gibson, and Squire for Fender but not with USA parts anymore). The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone altho the abalone was fake. The Madeira is a fine instrument that will last a lifetime if taken care of. Very close to the USA Guilds and Gibsons with only the assembly being done in a different country while using identical parts as their American brothers. NOTHING sold in todays market for under $1000 will compare with a 70s-80s Madeira, Epiphone, Yamaha, Hondo, Alvarez, or Suzuki. My 35 years of guitar experience knows this to be true.

: In the early part of 1971 I had the good fortune to play a Madeira (A25 ?) and feel in love w/ the sound and incredible action. Saving up the needed $79.00 from my $ 1.35/hr p/t college job, I went to a local music whse store that had hundreds of guitars hanging from the ceiling, but alas, they were out of "my" axe. They did however, have several A30-Ms at the outrageous cost of $110.00 ! After playing all of them and finding one I could not live without, I borrowed against my next check from some understanding friends and have enjoyed this fine instrument for the last 38 yrs. I discovered this site trying to locate another for my stepson so mine doesn't dissappear.

My father bought me a Madeira A-25 for my 16th birthday in 1980 I think the action is incredible and am having a hard time finding out the value and where I can buy the tuning keys for it. If anyone knows any information on it please follow up the serial number is 7890 with an A or a 4 after it.
It was brand new and in the box when he gave it to me.

Re: Guild Madeira guitars where to find tuners

: : : Madeira Guitars used to be Guilds import brand. Just like Epiphone is to Gibson now. They were first made in Japan with USA parts then were made in Korea with USA parts by Samick.(which also still makes Sigma for Martin, Epiphone for Gibson, and Squire for Fender but not with USA parts anymore). The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone altho the abalone was fake. The Madeira is a fine instrument that will last a lifetime if taken care of. Very close to the USA Guilds and Gibsons with only the assembly being done in a different country while using identical parts as their American brothers. NOTHING sold in todays market for under $1000 will compare with a 70s-80s Madeira, Epiphone, Yamaha, Hondo, Alvarez, or Suzuki. My 35 years of guitar experience knows this to be true.

: : In the early part of 1971 I had the good fortune to play a Madeira (A25 ?) and feel in love w/ the sound and incredible action. Saving up the needed $79.00 from my $ 1.35/hr p/t college job, I went to a local music whse store that had hundreds of guitars hanging from the ceiling, but alas, they were out of "my" axe. They did however, have several A30-Ms at the outrageous cost of $110.00 ! After playing all of them and finding one I could not live without, I borrowed against my next check from some understanding friends and have enjoyed this fine instrument for the last 38 yrs. I discovered this site trying to locate another for my stepson so mine doesn't dissappear.

: My father bought me a Madeira A-25 for my 16th birthday in 1980 I think the action is incredible and am having a hard time finding out the value and where I can buy the tuning keys for it. If anyone knows any information on it please follow up the serial number is 7890 with an A or a 4 after it.
: It was brand new and in the box when he gave it to me.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.