Guild Madeira guitars

Posted by Bill on Tue, 09/11/01 - 03:06:28.

Madeira Guitars used to be Guilds import brand. Just like Epiphone is to Gibson now. They were first made in Japan with USA parts then were made in Korea with USA parts by Samick.(which also still makes Sigma for Martin, Epiphone for Gibson, and Squire for Fender but not with USA parts anymore). The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone altho the abalone was fake. The Madeira is a fine instrument that will last a lifetime if taken care of. Very close to the USA Guilds and Gibsons with only the assembly being done in a different country while using identical parts as their American brothers. NOTHING sold in todays market for under $1000 will compare with a 70s-80s Madeira, Epiphone, Yamaha, Hondo, Alvarez, or Suzuki. My 35 years of guitar experience knows this to be true.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Guild Madeira guitars

hi i have a madiera A-2 serial number478702 i know nothing about the guitar i have had it about 10 years and know my friend had it for about 10 yrsw before that it plays well and is a durable instrument please give me any info

Will someone give me any details about my Guild-Madeira Model p712 guitar? I know nothing about the guitar. Please, any information about it will be helpful

WTB: P712 Madeira

I am looking to buy a P712, is yours available for sale ?? contact me at donsjohns@yahoo.com with Pics and condition...

Madeira classical guitar

I had a Madeira classical guitar for some time. I'd swear that the promo material I got from Guild said the classicals were built in Spain. My model was a C-900. When I had it appraised, it didn't show up in the blue book, the highest "C" being "600." Solid cedar top, rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, bone nut and saddle, wood and plastic binding--exquisite sound and playability! I remember the neck being wide, even for a classical. 'Made it fun to learn lute songs on it.

I pawned it ten years ago (hard times), and would love to find another. I'm in the market for classical guitar again, and I compare every one I see now with my memories of this one. So, who's hiding and hoarding? Let's talk.

Uncle Dave

Related:
Classical Guitarists

Re: Madeira classical guitar

: I had a Madeira classical guitar for some time. I'd swear that the promo material I got from Guild said the classicals were built in Spain. My model was a C-900. When I had it appraised, it didn't show up in the blue book, the highest "C" being "600." Solid cedar top, rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, bone nut and saddle, wood and plastic binding--exquisite sound and playability! I remember the neck being wide, even for a classical. 'Made it fun to learn lute songs on it.

: I pawned it ten years ago (hard times), and would love to find another. I'm in the market for classical guitar again, and I compare every one I see now with my memories of this one. So, who's hiding and hoarding? Let's talk.

: Uncle Dave

: : I had a Madeira classical guitar for some time. I'd swear that the promo material I got from Guild said the classicals were built in Spain. My model was a C-900. When I had it appraised, it didn't show up in the blue book, the highest "C" being "600." Solid cedar top, rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, bone nut and saddle, wood and plastic binding--exquisite sound and playability! I remember the neck being wide, even for a classical. 'Made it fun to learn lute songs on it.

: : I pawned it ten years ago (hard times), and would love to find another. I'm in the market for classical guitar again, and I compare every one I see now with my memories of this one. So, who's hiding and hoarding? Let's talk.

: : Uncle Dave
He there...I am currently selling the guitar you speak of. Guild Madeira c60. My parents bought it for me in the early seventies....my email is qoheleth7114@gmail.com.
feel free to contact me.

: : I had a Madeira classical guitar for some time. I'd swear that the promo material I got from Guild said the classicals were built in Spain. My model was a C-900. When I had it appraised, it didn't show up in the blue book, the highest "C" being "600." Solid cedar top, rosewood back and sides, mahogany neck, ebony fingerboard, bone nut and saddle, wood and plastic binding--exquisite sound and playability! I remember the neck being wide, even for a classical. 'Made it fun to learn lute songs on it.

: : I pawned it ten years ago (hard times), and would love to find another. I'm in the market for classical guitar again, and I compare every one I see now with my memories of this one. So, who's hiding and hoarding? Let's talk.

: : Uncle Dave

Hi, Uncle Dave I have a fantastic 1977 or 78 GUILD P-600 in mint condition for sale. It's at a shop being sold on consignment. It's been there for 4 mnths. now. The owner told me he was interested but, he never got back to me. If you want to buy it, once I get it back this week, you can leave your e-mail and I'll send you my contact info. Thanks for your time. I'm still trying to find out it's value.

I recently aquired a Madeira C-60. It really sounds awesome. If anyone has anymore updated information on this guitar please let me know

I got a C-60 from a pawn shop (2009) for $54.00. I thought it would be a cheap piece of crap because someone had it strung with steel strings and it was warped pretty bad. They also wrote all over it with permanent marker. Really I just bought it because I needed something to play (my other guitar is dead now). I got home and found most of the bracing lifted off the inside, so I glued that down (pretty terrible job, but it works)and strung it up, and holy crap! this thing can sing.

I purchased a used Maderia classical Model C-60, serial #70412 10 years ago and have been trying to obtain info on this guitar over the last severial years with no luck. It now appears from this web page that many of us are in the same position. I suspect from your post and others my C-60 is at the lower end from the C-900 & C-600????? Either way it gets played daily and sounds wonderfully warm and alive. Couldn't be w/o it.

I have a Madeira guitar by guild model # p712 for almost 30 years in brand new condition no dents or scorches it looks like its brand new i was woundering if you might know how much it coasts

: I have a Madeira guitar by guild model # p712 for almost 30 years in brand new condition no dents or scorches it looks like its brand new i was woundering if you might know how much it coasts

: : I have a Madeira guitar by guild model # p712 for almost 30 years in brand new condition no dents or scorches it looks like its brand new i was woundering if you might know how much it coasts

Hi would you be interested in selling it? Iam learning how to play guitar and would like to purchase a madeira..thank you

I have a Madeira C-900 classical guitar that I bought in 1978. It has the rosewood sides and back with a cedar top. The sound, after 24 years of play, is outstanding. As I recall, I paid about $350 or $400 for it in 1978. I'd love to know what it might be worth today. It doesn't really matter I guess, because I couldn't part with it. It's part of the family. I have a Martin, a Washburn, a Gibson and an Ovation, but when I really need therapy, I always pick up the Madeira.

: Madeira Guitars used to be Guilds import brand. Just like Epiphone is to Gibson now. They were first made in Japan with USA parts then were made in Korea with USA parts by Samick.(which also still makes Sigma for Martin, Epiphone for Gibson, and Squire for Fender but not with USA parts anymore). The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone altho the abalone was fake. The Madeira is a fine instrument that will last a lifetime if taken care of. Very close to the USA Guilds and Gibsons with only the assembly being done in a different country while using identical parts as their American brothers. NOTHING sold in todays market for under $1000 will compare with a 70s-80s Madeira, Epiphone, Yamaha, Hondo, Alvarez, or Suzuki. My 35 years of guitar experience knows this to be true.

thanks for the info. i've been wondering about Madeiras for years. i had a 12 string Madeira which i bought in about 1977 or 1978 (or thereabouts), played for years and eventually sold. i've regretted it ever since. i loved that guitar, but i never really thought about who made it or where it came from, until years later when i wanted to buy again and could never find Madeiras anywhere. now i REALLY wish i'd kept it!

hey Bill,
I don't know my woods very well. I just picked up a "Madeira by Guild" with extremely blonde
wood on the side, back and tuning head piece. It's got an "A30M" label inside but it looks almost
like Ash. So, this is still mahogony?

It's a beauty. The fretboard and bridge are in great condition.
It seems someone replaced the original tuning pegs with a Grover tuning peg.

'The letters in the model numbers do mean R=rosewood, M=mahogony, S=spruce, H-herringbone, and A=abalone"

Madeira Electric

I have a Madiera EG-50MB electric in great condition.
I would love to learn more about this guitar but there is very little info out there. Can anyone help?
Thanks

I have a 1978-79 madeira with a model #p500. What does the P stand for?

Thanks Bill

Thanks Bill for your interesting comments on Madiera guitars. I do like my A30R, and I believe I purchased it in 1971. However I find the local guitar shops using a blue book to evaluate it, and offering $100 or so. Obviously I would not sell it for that. What do you think of Tacoma?

Re: Thanks Bill

: Thanks Bill for your interesting comments on Madiera guitars. I do like my A30R, and I believe I purchased it in 1971. However I find the local guitar shops using a blue book to evaluate it, and offering $100 or so. Obviously I would not sell it for that. What do you think of Tacoma? The bluebook doesnt tell of workmanship and materials from imports as well as it does from USA made guitars. Tacomas might be the best guitar for the money. Much less than the other American guitars with hardly any differences in materials and workmanship. I dont however like the smaller chief series. I love the dreadnaught, the concert body, and my fav is the jumbo cutaway made from koa. Every bit as good as a Taylor or Martin.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.