Model 5051 60th Anniversary SLM Alvarez

Posted by Mark Hinton on Sun, 10/28/07 - 23:39:21.

HI, I have had this guitar for many years and it has the delicate engravings for the sound. Mine is serial #000033. I was curious how many were made and How much it is worth. Thanks. Alvarez 5051

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Alvarez model 5051 60th Anniversary Guitar

I have the one with the open floral design. There is no serial number anywhere to be found. Sounds amazing, even better then my Gibson! I would sell it for $1200 with the hard case. anyone interested please email me freddy2tew@gmail.com

Model 5051 60th Anniversary SLM Alvarez

I have two 5051 guitars. The first is SN:109 (made in late 1981, sold in 1982) which is the St. Louis Music 60th Anniversary edition. There were only 200 of those made. I know this from direct discussion with factory service person. The other is SN:000295 which was made and sold in 1983 (the last year they were produced). You can tell the anniversary model from the "gold" placard on the back of head stock which say's it is an anniversary edition. The 1983 models just had a SN sticker on the back of the head stock. Neither of mine have the oval cut-outs. Both sound unbelievably amazing. Best projection of any guitar, any manufacturer, I own. The sound board is mostly the reason but the vintage mahogany also plays its part in that sound. Alvarez is my favorite guitar brand. Best sound and playability for the price. I originally had a 1982 model SN 13? which I bought in 1982 Fresno CA for $350. I sold it in 1985 and regretted it immediately. Spent 30 years looking and got both of my current models within the last 9 months. I saw on EBay that SN 001 was sold in Oct of 2014. I would really like to start a website about vintage Alvarez guitars. I also have 1973 5046 which plays like a dream.

alvarez artist 5051

I have serial #000135.

Someone gave it to me. Beautiful! No pick guard, no holes in the carvings.

Now I know I better take care of it! Was just ready to let my guitar playing son take it back with him to college and on a whim we looked it up!!!!

No way, this baby stays home with me!

KR

Alvarez 5051

I own this guitar and purchased new in 84 from a local music store. It was a fith year wedding anniversary gift from my wife. Evidently, I have one of the earlier examples because there are no ovals in the floral engravings. It is in pristine condition. I cant find a serial number on it. Anyone have an idea of the value of one in perfect like new condition?

60th alv sn 5051

i cant find mine either its a first batch no oval cut out but mine in 82 at oceana va , va bch for $50.00 30 yrs later still plays like a dream. sn suppose to be inside ive looked and looked cant find one dont much matter ill be dead & gone before somebody else ownes this one . you can pretty much name your price in perfect condition

5051 60th anniversary Alvarez

I have serial # 7

5051 60th anniversary Alvarez

Can anyone tell me where I might find a serial number for this guitar I know it is not the first batch because the laser cut is not open but it has very ornate and I have to use a flashlight to see inside of it all I can see is handmade Alvarez

60th 5051 slr

I have 000015 I was told only 200 copys were ever made . Not sure how true that is
But all that being said it is a very sweet guitar I have 40 alvarez guitars most yari
The 5051 is one of my fav. To play due to its unreal sound projection

5051 with ovals

Were can I find the numbers on my 5051. The only thing on the inside says Alvarez Hand Made placed on a rib. I bought the guitar new back in 1984 at a hometown music store in Kansas. Any ideas

Alvarez model 5051

i have talked to two different guitar techs from alvarez and they worked there when this model was produced. There are no known records of this production model left as per the age and the fact that they just didnt keep them for a long period of time back then..The 60TH anniversary model # 5051 was produced at the end of 1981 into 1982 in 3 separate batches. Both techs confirm this. the first batch was the model with nothing but the laser cut floral design on each side of the fret board where it was attached to the neck. This design was revised in the next two batches because ( as some of you know) if a string broke the nut on the end would fall inside and there was no opening i the body to remove it.so it was stuck in there to rattle forever! the next two batches that came through with an oval hole i the center of each floral design. This also really opened up the sound projection. The next batch came through he same way.. I as also told there were some where around 200 made total from the 3 batches. one tech told me it sold for $489.00 new and the other told me $349.00 new. I'm going with the 489.00 because i read an article on line about these guitars and the person writing it was a former music store owner who remembered selling them for $489.00.
$489.00 is not a lot to pay for a guitar by today's standard but in 1982 it was a lot of money for a guitar! although I will state this for the record, you can purchase a real nice sounding guitar for that money today if you buy an Alvarez.. Their $200- $300.00 dollar models sound far better than any others out there in the same price range. yet they are look upon by to a deaf ear (so to speak) in favor of the Fenders, Yamaha's, Epiphone's and Ibanez to name just a few. All mass produced and all very generic sounding.. Its too bad.
To end this I will say, who know what they are worth. mine personally (in my opinion) sounds better than the 2000.00 Maritin's and Gibson's. the Taylor's for the same money cant even compare. I brought mine into guitar center and played it up against these other guitars. The guitar tech offered me 1500.00 for it after playing it for a less than a min. i asked what the trade in value was and they offered me $275.00 because of a small nick on the head stock where my daughter dropped it. Needless to say I still have the guitar. My daughters future was not so clear at the time. consider them baseball cards their worth what ever someone is willing to pay for them at that particular time.. i also have a 1977 fender that is one of the last American made fender acoustics and after 35 years it sounds amazing. if i had to give one away it would still be the Fender. Not because of the quality but because the Alvarez was willed to me by my father on his passing.. That makes it priceless to me. for the rest of you, if they made 200 of them 30 years ago its safe to say that there is only a probable 150 left in existence and out of those, how many are in good to very good condition aesthetically and musically. its safe to say this guitar will be a collectors item in the next 10-20 years and could be worth a hell of a lot of money by then.. just howmuch a collector will pay for your "Micky Mantle bubble gum card"? well that depends on how many cards that are left get close pinned to the spokes of someones bicycle tires!!! Happy playing ya'll!

Alvarez 5051 60th Anniversary Edition

If anyone knows where I can find one of these please email me at srvwdt@aol.com or call/text me at 404-822-4939

Re: Model 5051 60th Anniversary SLM Alvarez

Just bought the guitar you're talking about from a flea market in MS. Got it for 400 bucks and it plays great. Model #33, has the knick on the back and everything! Email me if anyone finds out how much these things are worth!

I have #142 ~ found it in a pawn shop around '83/84 kept my eyes on it for several months before I broke down and got it.

Always a nice tone, even with old / dead strings. I never played this unit much, was always afraid of scratching the top (no pick guard). If I was more of a lead player, picker ~ I would like it better.

Any offers?

I am looking to sell to get another Alvarez, looking for a AD60CK Koa Cutaway, with pick-up.

: I have #142 ~ found it in a pawn shop around '83/84 kept my eyes on it for several months before I broke down and got it.

: Always a nice tone, even with old / dead strings. I never played this unit much, was always afraid of scratching the top (no pick guard). If I was more of a lead player, picker ~ I would like it better.

: Any offers?

: I am looking to sell to get another Alvarez, looking for a AD60CK Koa Cutaway, with pick-up.

please call me 404-822-4939 or email me at srvwdt@aol.com for possible offer...

ray laue

: I have #142 ~ found it in a pawn shop around '83/84 kept my eyes on it for several months before I broke down and got it.

: Always a nice tone, even with old / dead strings. I never played this unit much, was always afraid of scratching the top (no pick guard). If I was more of a lead player, picker ~ I would like it better.

: Any offers?

: I am looking to sell to get another Alvarez, looking for a AD60CK Koa Cutaway, with pick-up.

I am interested in this guitar do you hav a pic to email me at srvwdt@aol.com or call 404-822-4939 if anyone else has on of these guitars please email or call

Ray

: HI, I have had this guitar for many years and it has the delicate engravings for the sound. Mine is serial #000033. I was curious how many were made and How much it is worth. Thanks. Alvarez 5051
It took awhile to get back. Thanks for all the follow-ups. Guitar was in accident.Nicked on back. Insurance paid $750.00. Hope this helps some.

FWIW I have #120 bought for $150 in a pawn shop a few years ago -way cool gutar love playing it.Info on it does seem to be scarce

: HI, I have had this guitar for many years and it has the delicate engravings for the sound. Mine is serial #000033. I was curious how many were made and How much it is worth. Thanks. Alvarez 5051 mine i s
1039 linder music replacced my volume switch i replaced my bridge a few years ago a martin owner used it in acosamtic jam id it rang like his martin

5051 alvarez

i was told in 1983 they made 1 gtr for each alvarez dealer at that time. the only other one ive seen was paul mc cartneys

:
Hi Mark:
I too have this guitar and bought it while in the music business back in 1982. I have serial number 151. I actually played 001!!!! The salesman from St. Louis stopped at the store to show it off and I had to have one. I put in the case and have rarely played it. I keep hoping it may worth a lot of money. Have you gotten any responses from your question. Drop me a line.

HI, I have had this guitar for many years and it has the delicate engravings for the sound. Mine is serial #000033. I was curious how many were made and How much it is worth. Thanks. Alvarez 5051

Alvarez 5051

Where and when did you play ser # 000001? Just curious... I sold one in the 80's at a pawn shop in Memphis Bought it from ob Fisher's Music store for 350.00 and pawned it for 100.00 I regret it...

anyone know how many made? what is te highest serial # anyone can verify?

Thanks...

Ray
404-822-4939

I jut bought one of these as well my number is 000052 I have no clue either how much these are worth but they do play well.
: :
: Hi Mark:
: I too have this guitar and bought it while in the music business back in 1982. I have serial number 151. I actually played 001!!!! The salesman from St. Louis stopped at the store to show it off and I had to have one. I put in the case and have rarely played it. I keep hoping it may worth a lot of money. Have you gotten any responses from your question. Drop me a line.

: HI, I have had this guitar for many years and it has the delicate engravings for the sound. Mine is serial #000033. I was curious how many were made and How much it is worth. Thanks. Alvarez 5051

I have several Alvarezs..all old...a 5062 from '76, a 5059 from '79, a 5088C from '96, and a 5054 from 78. I don't know anything about this model but I might be interested if you want to sell.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.