Re: alvarez model 5046

Advertisement
Posted by Izzy on Sat, 01/08/11 - 12:16:09.

: i have an alvarez 5046. i am unaware of the year and lacking a serial #.just trying to find some facts.

I have the same model, made 04/1972 - 6 string dreadnought, no cutaway. They were made in the 70's and 80's, and seem to only be worth around $150 or maybe $200 if pristine - but it plays pretty well and sounds absolutely fantastic. Used to be acoustic-electric when it was new, but mine lost the electronics somewhere along the line, and I've replaced most of the hardware on it with the help of a luthier that I know. I got it in a mostly unplayable state of disrepair, so it was sort of a learning fix-it project for me. After replacing tuning machines, frets, saddle, an interior support brace, re-gluing and adjusting the bridge, adjusting the nut, ripping out the dangling pieces that used to be the electronics, and sanding the crud out of the neck it still has a few issues but I have no doubt that if a professional luthier had restored it instead of my friend and I, it would be much better.

Overall, I think it's an average playing, great sounding, but fairly inexpensive guitar of reasonably solid quality.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.