Alvarez Dove Guitar Model 5024

Posted by Michael Baker on Sat, 08/30/03 - 05:34:03.

Tis guitar was left to me by my father in law. Does anyone know a value on it? I am wondering if I need to get it insured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Michael

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Alvarez Dove Guitar Model 5024

Guess what my friends!!!Hold on to this guitar....it's going up in value....it is being sought after by collectors for it's asthetics'...and man made value! It is a beautifully made guitar or else Gibson would not have sued the maker!!It has been under valued for years! As a lover of the Gibson Dove...which i own several, i have one of these which i know is a ripoff....but i love it's sound and quality also .....know you have a treasure of time and appreciate it!! I do, and if you knew who I was....i would get into trouble for just making that statement.....ENJOY !

Alvarez Dove model #5024 serial #16091

Just bought this guitar today. Love it. With only knowing the model & serial #'s, is there anyway know the year this guitar was made? Is it '70?

Thanks,
Matt Warren

Alvarez Dove model 5024

I purchased this guitar in the 70's. It has rarely been used and we re-conditioned a couple years ago. They said that they had never seen one in this good of shape. The model is 5024 but there is no serial number next to it.It also has the original hard case. I am trying to find out how much it is worth and possibly sell it. I can't find any on Ebay. Can anyone help?

: Tis guitar was left to me by my father in law. Does anyone know a value on it? I am wondering if I need to get it insured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
: Michael

i have a 5024 model that i received as a Christmas present from my parents in 1977(they purchased two--one for my brother also) i love this guitar--nice feel, nice tone, good action and the look is beautiful have had many compliments on it over the years

Alvarez Dove Guitar Model 5024 (tuno-matic?)

I'm going on 35 and have had this thing since i was 5 or 6.

been through every step of life with it.

got a question though. did anyone elses have t-omatic style bridge? if not, whoever my dad got this from had it rigged.

sorry if its been addressed, but i've not enough time to read all the post.

Re: Alvarez Dove Guitar Model 5024 (tuno-matic?)

That bridge is Alvarez' copy of the late 60's Gibson Dove Bridge which was very similar. Interesting Note: The pickguard on the Alvarez Dove is exactly the same (poor Gibson match) as my 1977 Cortez Dove guitar. A much higher quality matched pickguard is available on e-bay for about $11, and is virtually identical to the Gibson Dove pickguard, except for the mother of pearl dove. The Alvarez Dove is higher quality than my Cortez Dove, that said, I've enjoyed the Cortez for 31 years now.

I recently purchased one of these in less than perfect shape and was at first dissapointed, however after sending it to my guitar tech it has become one of my most favorite ones to play. And I ahve quite a few. He told me that they are solid built and are great guitars. Mine appears to be a 69 model with the tuneamatic bridge and individual saddles. I had them and the nut replaced when I took it in and I have loved it ever since. It does have a few battle scars, most likely play in a bar band but this also gives it a lot of character. This baby has seen some serious play time. But I doubt I could ever bring myself to sell it.: Tis guitar was left to me by my father in law. Does anyone know a value on it? I am wondering if I need to get it insured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

: hello; I bought one off e-bay from an estate sale for $275.00 , it is in like new condition, these are good playing japanese guitars for the money, I would not sell mine for $500.00, and I think they will go up in value, alvarez they aint making no more like these anymore, good luck to you

: Tis guitar was left to me by my father in law. Does anyone know a value on it? I am wondering if I need to get it insured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I guess if you arn't insured propperly now you might wanrt to look into it with your insurance agent. It's a real nice guitar, I sold one in 89 and have regretted it ever since.

DO NOT GET RID OF THIS! IT IS OF GREAT VALUE. I HAVE ONE THAT MY MOM LEFT ME AND ITS A 64 MODEL, AND WORTH MINT: 3999 EXC COND: 3500
CONGRATS!

(Originally posted 09:45:21 2/18/06)

I bought an Alvarez Dove back in 1976. I had to part with due to needing money to help out finacially about two years later. I kicked myself for selling it for 25+ years. 3 years ago I ran into some extra cash and saw a Dove on Ebay. I put a maximum bid of $750 on it but won it for 275. It had a "ding" on it that recognized. As it turned out, after I got it, I ran the numbers back with the music store that I purchased mine from. Can you believe this? It came back as me being the original buyer when it was new! It was out of my hands for 27 years. I had to do some work on it. The tunematic bridge was m
issing parts. I bought a brass bridge off of Ebay and replaced the damaged one. It need a lot of cleaning and the neck had to be adjusted. I have recently replaced the bridge pins with brass abalone pins. I have taken it with me to several guitar shops and have yet to find any guitar that has the tone and sustain that my Dove has. I have vowed to never part with it again. I have a few other acoustic guitars including, Takamine, Fender and an older Taylor and my Dove is still my favorite. If anyone has an Alvarez Dove, I recomend that they hang onto it. Someday, these guitars will be worth far more than they sell for on Ebay. I was offered $950 for mine and didn't even give the offer a second thought when I said NO deal.
Keep your Dove and enjoy!

Re: Alvarez Dove Guitar Model 5024 (bridge?)

Hi, i also have a 5024 but i have a question. does any les paul tunematic bridge fit on this guitar? i read that you replaced yours. mine was missing when i bought the guitar for 50 bucks, just an empty space.
i hear these guitars sound great and i am anxious to get it going. any info you may have regarding this would be greatly appriciated. thanks!

Does anyone know the scale length on a 5024 dove?

Thank you,
Peter

: DO NOT GET RID OF THIS! IT IS OF GREAT VALUE. I HAVE ONE THAT MY MOM LEFT ME AND ITS A 64 MODEL, AND WORTH MINT: 3999 EXC COND: 3500
: CONGRATS!

JJ here. JANARAE.....if you have a '64 alvarez, you better not ever sell it. Reason? Alvarez didn't go into buisness til 1965. so you have a very rare find. better double check your info. If you have a dove it could be a 74.....NOT 64

: : DO NOT GET RID OF THIS! IT IS OF GREAT VALUE. I HAVE ONE THAT MY MOM LEFT ME AND ITS A 64 MODEL, AND WORTH MINT: 3999 EXC COND: 3500
: : CONGRATS!

:
: JJ here. JANARAE.....if you have a '64 alvarez, you better not ever sell it. Reason? Alvarez didn't go into buisness til 1965. so you have a very rare find. better double check your info. If you have a dove it could be a 74.....NOT 64

----

And my two cents..

You can buy a mint Gibson Dove for cheaper than that.. easily.
I doubt the Japanese made Alvarez is worth more than the Gibson.

I own one as well. Don't know what the value is, but I wouldn't sell mine for any amount of money. It is totally in mint condition. I learned to play guitar on it. It was my grandpa's guitar. I do know they were in production at minimum in 1967, as I have a picture playing the one I have taken in 67 when I was four years old. Mine is serial 1833.

I think it is of better quality, sounds better, and has better action than the Gibson original Dove. It's a very nice guitar, I love it, but wouldn't put it above a Martn.

I was wondering how you came up with that value. I also own one and I haven’t been able to find the value of it. I looked in the Guitar blue book, but it doesn’t have a listing for this model.

Thanks,
Gary

: DO NOT GET RID OF THIS! IT IS OF GREAT VALUE. I HAVE ONE THAT MY MOM LEFT ME AND ITS A 64 MODEL, AND WORTH MINT: 3999 EXC COND: 3500
: CONGRATS!

I owned a guitar like this. I bought it in 1973. It was one of the best guitars I've ever owned and regret selling it.
Originally, in 1973 dollars, it sold for aroung 275.00. A few bucks back then. Insure it if you want. IT IS IRREPLACEABLE.

I bought my Alvarez 5024 back in 1977 and paid
350 dollars for it back then.
There is one just like it on E-bay. The bid is
at $345 with four days left. The item # is
3729440595 with a lot of photos.

I would also like to know what the value is.
If anyone knows; please let me know.
Tks,
Don

: : Tis guitar was left to me by my father in law. Does anyone know a value on it? I am wondering if I need to get it insured. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
: : Michael

Michael,
I own this guitar. I purchased it in 1980 at a guitar shop in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I love the sound it produces. I joke with my children that "it was my baby before they were my babies" :) When I purchased it it was close to $500.00. I have since been offered quite a bit more for it than the price I paid. Due to the fact that this particular model could be considered a collector's item, It could be worth quite a bit to the right buyer. This guitar was my 18th birthday present from my parents. I started playing when I was 10 yrs. old. I keep it in a humidified case, and I've only had to have the action on it fixed once. It's a beautiful guitar and I get many compliments on it when I play. I hope you enjoy it.
Lorrie

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.