Re: Gretsch Super Chet

Advertisement
Posted by Dan D. on Tue, 01/01/02 - 12:57:18.

The Gretsch Super Chet is a very special guitar that was made from 1972 to 1980 and they are quite rare. There were several variations. The 1972 model had a headstock shaped much like a Gibson but was later changed to the "round-top" headstock that is common to Gretsch guitars. Chet Atkins was pictured on the cover of one of his albums with a 1972 Super Chet showing this variation. The usual finish was a "cherry-red" finish, however, there was a very rare variation made with Walnut and a tranparent brown finish. The Super Chet also was made with and without the Bigsby tremolo tailpiece. The Chet Atkins Bigsby tailpiece was much more rare on the Super Chet. The standard tailpiece had beautiful inlay and is a similar shaped tailpiece that was used in the late 1970-s and 80's on the Gretsch Country Club. By the way, all the hardware was real Gold plating-not the cheap brass or alloy plating seen on guitars now. Be careful if you are looking to buy one because I have seen several imitations at the guitar shows that were nothing more than Japanese junk. Have the guitar inspected by somebody that knows Gretsch vintage guitars. As far as value-they can vary from $1000.00 for one in poor shape to $7000.00 for mint walnut with original Chet Atkins Bigsby with original case and papers. Of course we have to keep in mind anything is only worth what is paid for an item. I have studied the Super Chet extensively because I consider it the finest Hollow Body Electric ever made. If you have one that is original and in better than good condition please take precious care of it because you have a gem that will not be easily replaced and future generations deserve to see the workmanship that occured before all the imports took over the market.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Vintage Gretsch Guitars

I have 2 vintage Gretsch Guitars I'd like to sell but not really sure of the value .I believe one is a 1979 Super Chet and the other a 1964 Viking and the color is swamp ash I believe ' beautiful guitars ' if interested contact me through email.

GRETSCH GUITARS 4 SALE

2 Vintage Gretsch Guitars 4 Sale
Contact me at ....
sparkymoto@hotmail.com
For more info

selling my super chet

I am selling my 1973 super chet in cherry red with gold bigsby tailpiece.contact me back if interested.it is in fantastic condition I inherited this guitar from my uncle who never took it out of his house once he owned it.he played it very little.it is all original and has the original gretsch case also.looking for $3200.00

HEY DUDE WHY ARE YOU ASKING

HEY DUDE WHY ARE YOU ASKING 3500 ON CRAIGLIST ON HERE YOUR ASKING 3200 MAKE UP YOUR MIND?

TRYING TO FIND MY RARE SUPER CHET

IN THE LATE 1960 - EARLY 1970' I PERFORMED WITH A RED SUPER CHET. IT WAS DIFFERENT, HOWEVER, BECAUSE I ORDERED IT WITH CHROME RATHER THAN THE GOLD. MY DEALER TOLD ME IT WAS THE ONLY ONE GRETSCH EVER MADE LIKE IT BECAUSE THEY HAD TO TAKE THE GOLD OFF TO PUT THE CHROME ON -- AND IT TOOK TOO LONG. I LET IT GO, DARN IT ALL, IN THE 1990'S AND I ALWAYS WONDERED WHAT HAPPENED TO IT. DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW? I DON'T THINK I COULD AFFORD TO BUY IT BACK, BUT WHO KNOWS? I LOVED THE GUITAR AND WOULD LIKE TO AT LEAST HEAR IT HAS A GOOD HOME. THE CHROME IS THE OBVIOUS CLUE TO TRACK IT DOWN...IT PROBABLY IS ABOUT AS RARE AS YOU CAN GET...ONE OF A KIND.

Hi,I aquired a Gretsch Super Chet 10 years ago via my brothers friend, It cost £1000.00. It is the walnut model with bigsby tremelo and gold fittings.I play it through a recently aquired 17.5 watt zenith all valve jass combi with a celestion 44 speaker.This amp was all origional 1957 with a valve tremlo.I mike it up to a dynachord mixer and ev 300 speakers with added echo and it sounds fantastic.I us flat wound hi chrome strings for a smooth tone and the amp brings out the crisp punchy sound which i feel cannot be improved on. Thanks for taking the time to read any coments email me,thanks philip

I have one. Found it under a bed where it had been for 26 years, never opened. A fine 79 super chet walnut, original case, too beautiful for words. It was only played for 3 years when the owner passed away, his family left it under the bed until I was able to get it.

I also have a Super Chet (1972 model) and agree with your views about the guitar. I do need a replacement Schaller Tuner and bridge saddles for mine but have been unable to locate any at this point. I would appreciate any information about replacement parts.

: The Gretsch Super Chet is a very special guitar that was made from 1972 to 1980 and they are quite rare. There were several variations. The 1972 model had a headstock shaped much like a Gibson but was later changed to the "round-top" headstock that is common to Gretsch guitars. Chet Atkins was pictured on the cover of one of his albums with a 1972 Super Chet showing this variation. The usual finish was a "cherry-red" finish, however, there was a very rare variation made with Walnut and a tranparent brown finish. The Super Chet also was made with and without the Bigsby tremolo tailpiece. The Chet Atkins Bigsby tailpiece was much more rare on the Super Chet. The standard tailpiece had beautiful inlay and is a similar shaped tailpiece that was used in the late 1970-s and 80's on the Gretsch Country Club. By the way, all the hardware was real Gold plating-not the cheap brass or alloy plating seen on guitars now. Be careful if you are looking to buy one because I have seen several imitations at the guitar shows that were nothing more than Japanese junk. Have the guitar inspected by somebody that knows Gretsch vintage guitars. As far as value-they can vary from $1000.00 for one in poor shape to $7000.00 for mint walnut with original Chet Atkins Bigsby with original case and papers. Of course we have to keep in mind anything is only worth what is paid for an item. I have studied the Super Chet extensively because I consider it the finest Hollow Body Electric ever made. If you have one that is original and in better than good condition please take precious care of it because you have a gem that will not be easily replaced and future generations deserve to see the workmanship that occured before all the imports took over the market.

Hi, does anyone know how many super chets were made in walnut with the bigsby tremelow and gold fittings in 1972?
philip

: : The Gretsch Super Chet is a very special guitar that was made from 1972 to 1980 and they are quite rare. There were several variations. The 1972 model had a headstock shaped much like a Gibson but was later changed to the "round-top" headstock that is common to Gretsch guitars. Chet Atkins was pictured on the cover of one of his albums with a 1972 Super Chet showing this variation. The usual finish was a "cherry-red" finish, however, there was a very rare variation made with Walnut and a tranparent brown finish. The Super Chet also was made with and without the Bigsby tremolo tailpiece. The Chet Atkins Bigsby tailpiece was much more rare on the Super Chet. The standard tailpiece had beautiful inlay and is a similar shaped tailpiece that was used in the late 1970-s and 80's on the Gretsch Country Club. By the way, all the hardware was real Gold plating-not the cheap brass or alloy plating seen on guitars now. Be careful if you are looking to buy one because I have seen several imitations at the guitar shows that were nothing more than Japanese junk. Have the guitar inspected by somebody that knows Gretsch vintage guitars. As far as value-they can vary from $1000.00 for one in poor shape to $7000.00 for mint walnut with original Chet Atkins Bigsby with original case and papers. Of course we have to keep in mind anything is only worth what is paid for an item. I have studied the Super Chet extensively because I consider it the finest Hollow Body Electric ever made. If you have one that is original and in better than good condition please take precious care of it because you have a gem that will not be easily replaced and future generations deserve to see the workmanship that occured before all the imports took over the market.

I have one. 1979 Walnut with the Bigsby tailpiece. I found it under a friends bed where it had been unopened in the case for 26 years. It was only played for 3 years before the original owner passed away. Not mint, but pretty close to it. I'd say 90%, and in the original hard shell case.

I purchased one some years back. Absolute mint condition. Plays and sounds wonderful. Has the original, gold tailpiece, not the Bigsby. I take it out only when I want to reward myself.

Gretsch Super Chet

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Gretsch Super Chet

I have a '72 Super Chet with the Gold Plated hardware and Bigsby Tremelo Tailpiece. It is in near PERFECT condition. I'm planning on selling it. It has that Gorgeous Cherry Red Finish and original case. It's the most beautiful electric guitar I've ever seen.

: I have a '72 Super Chet with the Gold Plated hardware and Bigsby Tremelo Tailpiece. It is in near PERFECT condition. I'm planning on selling it. It has that Gorgeous Cherry Red Finish and original case. It's the most beautiful electric guitar I've ever seen.

What is your bottom price?

I have a '72 Super Chet with the Gold Plated hardware and Bigsby Tremelo Tailpiece. It is in near PERFECT condition. I'm planning on selling it.

I am searching for a Super Gretsch. Any idea where I could start looking?

1 Gretsch Super Chet Guitar/ 1 Viking Gretsch Guitar

sparkymoto@hotmail.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.