Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch I think

Advertisement
Posted by Oscar Jones on Thu, 02/07/02 - 13:17:36.
In Reply to The Gretsch Pages

Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch I think

Ihave a 12 string dorado. I found a guitar that was sold for $299. It's a 12 string acoustic, Gretsch, 1971. Seems like the right period. The problem is that it is called doraldo. One letter out. Rosewood fret board, dot inlays. Exactly the same as mine but different name. Maybe it could be the same? Go to http://www.rabbithillmusic.9cy.com/id2.htm
and go edit, find on this page, doraldo.

Hello. If any of you who have a dorado guitar would like to sell it, please email me (swiver84@hotmail.com). I am always looking for cool vintage guitars. I am a big fan of the Gretsch name and have found the Dorados to be very nice guitars. I don't check follow ups much, so you'll have to email to get in touch with me. Put "Dorado" in the subject because I get a lot of spam and tend to get crazy with the delete button. Thanks :)

Swiver

Are you the one interested in buying a dorado guitar? How about one for $150.00?

im interested in it for 150

i have a 6 string electric dorado ser # 0197724 i want to find others like it but need ot no more info about it and the site only covers alittle about the dorado i would like to see other pics of other electic dorados since this is the best guitar ive ever used

hey paul. i have a dorado 6 string acoustic. they really are beautiful guitars (for the price and value). if you email me (swiver84@hotmail.com) i will send you pictures of it. i'd like to see some of your dorado as well, i've only seen a couple others on ebay. i lost one on ebay yesterday by 1$! i am still kickin myself in the butt for that one. it went for 36$.

: i have a 6 string electric dorado ser # 0197724 i want to find others like it but need ot no more info about it and the site only covers alittle about the dorado i would like to see other pics of other electic dorados since this is the best guitar ive ever used

I have a Dorado classical guitar tha I bought "used" in 1972 or 1973 & was looking today for bkgrnd & value. Found
web site www.gretschpages.com with following:

"Later, in the '70s, a line of low-priced Japanese-made instruments were imported and sold under the Dorado name in an effort to compete with the flood of imports inundating the market. Flattop acoustics and solidbody electrics alike were sold under the Dorado name. None hold much in common with Gretsch's own guitars." Also, that Gretsch had been sold to Baldwin prior to 70's; reacquired
later...
The Label inside mine says: "DORADO ... Serial 6027 ... Distributed by Gretsch ... New York Chicago"
Also, on the neck is a metal plate with name "Tokai Gakki" that seems to support the above. One additional comment I saw was that the Dorado was of decent quality with less value than "real" Gretsch's... no $ values found. Hope this helps.

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch I think

Instruments previously produced in Japan circa early 1970s. Distributed in the U.S. by the Baldwin Piano and Organ Company of Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Dorado trademark was briefly used by Baldwin (during its Gretsch ownership) on a product line of Japanese-built acoustics and electric guitars and basses.
Dorado instruments are of decent quality, but are often found at slightly inflated asking prices due to the attachment of the Gretsch name. Remember, these are 1970s Japanese guitars imported in by Gretsch during their phase of Baldwin ownership! Dorados are sometimes rightly priced between $125 to $175; but many times they are tagged at prices double that. Of course, what a guitar is tagged at and what it sells at (cash talks, baby!) are always two different animals.

(Source: Walter Murray, Frankenstein Fretworks; and Michael Wright, Vintage Guitar Magazine)

: Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

I have one of these guitars. I was at Guitar Center this weekend having it checked out by the guy who made Prince's "Cloud" guitar in "Purple Rain" Dave Bussen?? I think was his name. Anyway, he said Gretch imported it probably from Japan. Email me if you find anything else out :)

I owned one of the Dorado by Gretsch guitars in 1982 it was several years old at the time and similar to the fender humming bird in style I would love to have mine back.

Dorado model 60

I have serial number 1.
Wonder if its worth anything.

Fender never made the

Fender never made the Hummingbird that was Gibson...

: : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

Re: Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch

: : : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)Model Number 5970

: : : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

I purchased my Dorado circa 1974. 6-string dreadnought style (I believe). Anyway, it has a pretty big body and a nice sound. I still have it. I still like it. I frequently think about buying a new guitar, but it would seem like "cheating".

This popular thread has been given its own page : Re: Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch I think

: Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic).We wanted to see what kind of value it might have,and maybe how old it is.
Seiral # 15965 Thank You for any help you could give us.

Yo! fun...
i like it :)
John
<a href="http://www.toshain.com">painting</a>

: : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic).We wanted to see what kind of value it might have,and maybe how old it is.
: Seiral # 15965 Thank You for any help you could give us.

: : : Looking for some info on a guitar that was distributed by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic).We wanted to see what kind of value it might have,and maybe how old it is.
: : Seiral # 4461 model # 5989 Thank You for any help you could give us.

: Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic) I bought one too. Mines pretty but not in great shape, got it for a project, cheap tuners!

: Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

hello, i have that guitar and ive been trying to research the make myself.ive had the guitars since 1984 so im thinking mid 70s

: : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

: hello, i have that guitar and ive been trying to research the make myself.ive had the guitars since 1984 so im thinking mid 70s

: Hey i have the same guitar modle number5966 and i cant find anything about it so if any on know please email me
beachkid90@hotmail.com name it Dorado becasue i get alot of crap in my email.

: hello, i have that guitar and ive been trying to research the make myself.ive had the guitars since 1984 so im thinking mid 70s

: Hey i have the same guitar modle number5966 and i cant find anything about it so if any on know please email me
beachkid90@hotmail.com name it Dorado becasue i get alot of crap in my email.

I've had a Dorado since teh mid 70's - I don't know much about it - I got it saving stamps at teh grocery store when I was a kid - despite abuse the guitar sound good........

: : : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

I have a 6 string Dorado, made in Japan, No. 5969 which I bought for GBP100 around 1979. It was old stock so was probably manufactured 1975/76.It still sounds good.

: : hello, i have that guitar and ive been trying to research the make myself.ive had the guitars since 1984 so im thinking mid 70s
I have a Dorado Resonater,And have checked, it was made by the Baldwin Piano Company early 70s. Probably sold by Gretsch.

GRETSCH DORADO

GRETSCH DORADO

This popular thread has been given its own page : GRETSCH DORADO

: : hello, i have that guitar and ive been trying to research the make myself.ive had the guitars since 1984 so im thinking mid 70s

Folks, I have both a model 5968 and a model 5969 "Dorado by Gretsch" which are identical to the ones listed in the 1973 Dorado catalog. Got the 5968 recently for $100, and the 5969 for $90 2.5 years ago. I think they sound nice and are well made for the money. Also, the 5968 was my first ever guitar purcahse, and I remember it costing $113 total when I bought it new in 1976 in Jenkintown, PA.
see link: http://gretschpages.com/history/memorabilia/1973-dorado-catalog/

I have been looking to purchase a 5968. If you ever get interested in selling it, please let me know

Aren't we all in the same pool, all looking for information on acoustic guitars under the name Dorado and nobody seems to know much about them if you have any information about them please contact me at my e-mail adress.

: : : : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

: : : hello, i have that guitar and ive been trying to research the make myself.ive had the guitars since 1984 so im thinking mid 70s

Re: Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch #5965 or 6965

Any one know about this guitar, I have one need to determine market value.

Re: Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch #5965 or 6965

Any one know about this guitar, I have one need to determine market value.

I have one that was my mothers, also looking for info!

I have a 12 string Dorado, which I purchased in '71 or '72

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.