Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch I think

Posted by Oscar Jones on Thu, 02/07/02 - 13:17:36.
In Reply to The Gretsch Pages

Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch I think

Ihave a 12 string dorado. I found a guitar that was sold for $299. It's a 12 string acoustic, Gretsch, 1971. Seems like the right period. The problem is that it is called doraldo. One letter out. Rosewood fret board, dot inlays. Exactly the same as mine but different name. Maybe it could be the same? Go to http://www.rabbithillmusic.9cy.com/id2.htm
and go edit, find on this page, doraldo.

Hello. If any of you who have a dorado guitar would like to sell it, please email me (swiver84@hotmail.com). I am always looking for cool vintage guitars. I am a big fan of the Gretsch name and have found the Dorados to be very nice guitars. I don't check follow ups much, so you'll have to email to get in touch with me. Put "Dorado" in the subject because I get a lot of spam and tend to get crazy with the delete button. Thanks :)

Swiver

Are you the one interested in buying a dorado guitar? How about one for $150.00?

im interested in it for 150

i have a 6 string electric dorado ser # 0197724 i want to find others like it but need ot no more info about it and the site only covers alittle about the dorado i would like to see other pics of other electic dorados since this is the best guitar ive ever used

hey paul. i have a dorado 6 string acoustic. they really are beautiful guitars (for the price and value). if you email me (swiver84@hotmail.com) i will send you pictures of it. i'd like to see some of your dorado as well, i've only seen a couple others on ebay. i lost one on ebay yesterday by 1$! i am still kickin myself in the butt for that one. it went for 36$.

: i have a 6 string electric dorado ser # 0197724 i want to find others like it but need ot no more info about it and the site only covers alittle about the dorado i would like to see other pics of other electic dorados since this is the best guitar ive ever used

I have a Dorado classical guitar tha I bought "used" in 1972 or 1973 & was looking today for bkgrnd & value. Found
web site www.gretschpages.com with following:

"Later, in the '70s, a line of low-priced Japanese-made instruments were imported and sold under the Dorado name in an effort to compete with the flood of imports inundating the market. Flattop acoustics and solidbody electrics alike were sold under the Dorado name. None hold much in common with Gretsch's own guitars." Also, that Gretsch had been sold to Baldwin prior to 70's; reacquired
later...
The Label inside mine says: "DORADO ... Serial 6027 ... Distributed by Gretsch ... New York Chicago"
Also, on the neck is a metal plate with name "Tokai Gakki" that seems to support the above. One additional comment I saw was that the Dorado was of decent quality with less value than "real" Gretsch's... no $ values found. Hope this helps.

Amazing! I have the same guitar though its serial number is 6028. I don't hink it is worth much. It''s just an old japaneses import. It is a well made guitar and I enjoy playing it since my other guitar got stolen....

: I have a Dorado classical guitar tha I bought "used" in 1972 or 1973 & was looking today for bkgrnd & value. Found
: web site www.gretschpages.com with following:

: "Later, in the '70s, a line of low-priced Japanese-made instruments were imported and sold under the Dorado name in an effort to compete with the flood of imports inundating the market. Flattop acoustics and solidbody electrics alike were sold under the Dorado name. None hold much in common with Gretsch's own guitars." Also, that Gretsch had been sold to Baldwin prior to 70's; reacquired
: later...
: The Label inside mine says: "DORADO ... Serial 6027 ... Distributed by Gretsch ... New York Chicago"
: Also, on the neck is a metal plate with name "Tokai Gakki" that seems to support the above. One additional comment I saw was that the Dorado was of decent quality with less value than "real" Gretsch's... no $ values found. Hope this helps.

Related Article:
Gretsch are featured in The Best Electric Guitar Brands

Dorado 12 string

Dorado Fans,

I received a Dorado 12 string as a birthday present in the late 1990s, installed a passive pickup, and played it around the house and at small venues for fifteen years or more. For an all-laminate, smaller body 12 string with a trapeze bridge, it sounded great. The neck was comfortable, too. I had a 1965 Gibson B-25 12 for a few of those years, but the neck was way fatter than the Dorado, which I passed along to a friend in need. I can't say the Dorado sounded better than the Gibson, but it sure out-jangled it. Wish I still had it!

dorado distributed by gretsch new york chicago serial# G003

acoustic can you tell me the year and approx. value....love playing it....have no info...on it....thanks.

Guitar instrument

I have a Dorado serial 6027 made in Japan

the guitar was made for gretsch by Tokai Gakki in the very early 70's.they sound sweet play great, i have one also .at age 40 it needs very little more then a frett job to fix it back to like new. mine is a model 5989. is 6028. I don't hink it is worth much. It''s just an old japaneses import. It is a well made guitar and I enjoy playing it since my other guitar got stolen....

: : I have a Dorado classical guitar tha I bought "used" in 1972 or 1973 & was looking today for bkgrnd & value. Found
: : web site www.gretschpages.com with following:

: : "Later, in the '70s, a line of low-priced Japanese-made instruments were imported and sold under the Dorado name in an effort to compete with the flood of imports inundating the market. Flattop acoustics and solidbody electrics alike were sold under the Dorado name. None hold much in common with Gretsch's own guitars." Also, that Gretsch had been sold to Baldwin prior to 70's; reacquired
: : later...
: : The Label inside mine says: "DORADO ... Serial 6027 ... Distributed by Gretsch ... New York Chicago"
: : Also, on the neck is a metal plate with name "Tokai Gakki" that seems to support the above. One additional comment I saw was that the Dorado was of decent quality with less value than "real" Gretsch's... no $ values found. Hope this helps.

: Amazing! I have the same guitar though its serial number is 6028. I don't hink it is worth much. It''s just an old japaneses import. It is a well made guitar and I enjoy playing it since my other guitar got stolen....

: : I have a Dorado classical guitar tha I bought "used" in 1972 or 1973 & was looking today for bkgrnd & value. Found

: : "Later, in the '70s, a line of low-priced Japanese-made instruments were imported and sold under the Dorado name in an effort to compete with the flood of imports inundating the market. Flattop acoustics and solidbody electrics alike were sold under the Dorado name. None hold much in common with Gretsch's own guitars." Also, that Gretsch had been sold to Baldwin prior to 70's; reacquired
: : The Label inside mine says: "DORADO ... Serial 6027 ... Distributed by Gretsch ... New York Chicago"
: : Also, on the neck is a metal plate with name "Tokai Gakki" that seems to support the above. One additional comment I saw was that the Dorado was of decent quality with less value than "real" Gretsch's... no $ values found. Hope this helps.

Ani I have a 12 string flatop with the name Dorado. Bought it at a yardsale. I thought it looked 2 well made for a "cheapo" Started a little research and found this "chat".I will keep looking......

I have the same thing , My classical guitar says inside "Dorado made in NY, Chicago with serial # like JT-003 whats the value?? are they known for quality?? I love it and wouldn't sale it myself.

i have an old Dorado solid-body electric serial # 0726454 on the neck plate it says STEEL ADJUSTABLE NECK, then the serial number, then made in japan. it has abalone fret markers, and dorado is in abalone in the headstock, blonde finish white-black-white-black pickguard, and a funky trem. i was told once that maybe guild had made this guitar... seems pretty unlikely... and that it retains it's original value, it all seems pretty unlikely... but i don't know... please help!!!

I have a Gretsch Dorado Model # 5966. I was hoping to find what it might be worth. I was under the understanding I had a rare guitar. If anyone has any info for me I would greatly appreciate a reply.

Gretsch Dorado 5965

Dorado is a line of Japanese made guitars imported and sold by Gretsch in the 70's. I am looking for a 5965 which is the smaller of the steel string line, had a sunburst finish, sealed tuning pegs and an adjustable bridge. The market worth is between one and two hundred dollars depending ....... Please post if anyone knows of a real good one with original case.

I have a Gretsch Flat Top # 5965

I've played it for over 40 years and it is still the best sounding guitar I've ever heard! It isn't for sale, but I found it unbelievable that two Gretsch guitars #'s 5964 and 5966 would be listed on this forum!

Gretch Dorado 5965

Its 4 years late but I have this guitar in london.

5965 dorado

I own one of these that I found in the trash on the side of the road - I have to say it has a good bit of wear and looks like it might fall apart any second in blue with black and chrome hardware - you couldn't pay me to get rid of this thing. I love the way it sounds and plays - its the benchmark for me for all my other acoustics - I dig the sound of this beast. Been a total metal monster for an acoustic \m/>.<\m/

Just found out my girlfriend has a Dorado guitar Mod#: 5989 ser#:70791. Her brother plays Fenders and Guilds and he says it is pretty good, he like it.
Can't be too bad.
Don't know anything about it.

: Amazing! I have the same guitar though its serial number is 6028. I don't hink it is worth much. It''s just an old japaneses import. It is a well made guitar and I enjoy playing it since my other guitar got stolen....

my dorado has 5950 as the modal # also made by gretsch.i just bought it and its missing the back fret i am looking to get it fixed if possiale.

I don't know if anyone is still reading this post or not...but I too have a Dorado guitar by Gretsch. My model number is 6024 and was bought in the late 70's in a shop in Pompano Beach, Florida. How funny....our guitars are just a few numbers apart.

gretsch dorado

Hi, just purchased a dorado from ebay, no;6024. awaiting delivery how strange is that? hope it plays ok she has been in an attic for 30 years, cheers Rob.

DORADO ACUSTIC MODEL 6024 made in JAPAN

I just bought a 6024 model at a yard sale for 20.00 how cool is that ?

Dorado distributed by Gretsch

I've had my Dorado, model #5986, serial #41 since 1972 and have used it for classical guitar study off and on since getting it as a gift. For what it is, the sound quality and playability are quite good. I'm donating it to a church rummage sale tomorrow (6/3/07) and will remember it fondly. I have an Alvarez Regency, similar to the Dorado, which lacks the sound character.

The guitar blue book claims it to be worth $100 to $200 but I would not part with mine for several times that much. I paid $100 for mine. It was the best sounding nylon they had in the store. Someone had intoneated it.

Instruments previously produced in Japan circa early 1970s. Distributed in the U.S. by the Baldwin Piano and Organ Company of Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Dorado trademark was briefly used by Baldwin (during its Gretsch ownership) on a product line of Japanese-built acoustics and electric guitars and basses.
Dorado instruments are of decent quality, but are often found at slightly inflated asking prices due to the attachment of the Gretsch name. Remember, these are 1970s Japanese guitars imported in by Gretsch during their phase of Baldwin ownership! Dorados are sometimes rightly priced between $125 to $175; but many times they are tagged at prices double that. Of course, what a guitar is tagged at and what it sells at (cash talks, baby!) are always two different animals.

(Source: Walter Murray, Frankenstein Fretworks; and Michael Wright, Vintage Guitar Magazine)

: Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

I have one of these guitars. I was at Guitar Center this weekend having it checked out by the guy who made Prince's "Cloud" guitar in "Purple Rain" Dave Bussen?? I think was his name. Anyway, he said Gretch imported it probably from Japan. Email me if you find anything else out :)

I owned one of the Dorado by Gretsch guitars in 1982 it was several years old at the time and similar to the fender humming bird in style I would love to have mine back.

Dorado model 60

I have serial number 1.
Wonder if its worth anything.

Fender never made the

Fender never made the Hummingbird that was Gibson...

: : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

Re: Dorado Guitar made by Gretsch

: : : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)Model Number 5970

: : : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

I purchased my Dorado circa 1974. 6-string dreadnought style (I believe). Anyway, it has a pretty big body and a nice sound. I still have it. I still like it. I frequently think about buying a new guitar, but it would seem like "cheating".

Me got a Dorado resonator guitar, very nice dark walnut finish with white binding on edges. I bought it in 1985 but assume the guitar is mid-70's. Incidentally the neck has a very "japanese" feel to it. I was told by a guitar dealer that these particular instruments may have been ( at least partially) manufactured in Japan, then possibly had their resonators fitted in USA. They were DISTRIBUTED by Gretsch, in Europe at any rate. Mine is a nice guitar but not nearly as loud as most resonators.

Dorado 5984 or Dorado 952

Does anyone have a Dorado 5894 Electric Classic or Dorado 5952 Electric Classic? These classical guitars had a pickup made by Baldwin. I am very interested in these guitars. If you have one, please contact me at hendriksibma [at] hotmail [dot] com.

Dorado

I'm a luthier with a Gretsch Dorado in my workshop, Serial Number 5968. It must have been produced just before the gentleman's guitar (serial number 5969) that was purchased while he was serving in Germany back in 1986.
Funny, the Dorado was manufactured in Japan during the 70's and the Japanese factory worker must have arbitrarily placed a model number when he or she felt like it. However, it seems that Serial Numbers (presumably in proper sequence) were always assigned and hand written with a black ink pen. My example, while space is present, is void of any model number.
It is a standard dreadnought with 26 frets. There are no electronics, no cutaway, and no fancy upgrades. It has a book matched sitka spruce top, rosewood fingerboard, adjustable rosewood bridge, cream colored plastic binding, rosewood back and sides, and a black inlaid headstock. The neck is not one piece and is made from presumably African mahogany. It has closed gold tone tuners, black beveled pick guard and some plain black line art for a rosette. This guitar is void of polyurethane and has a lacquer finish, so much the better.
The problem: this particular guitar suffers from belly lift, a slight bulge at the 20th fret and a rattle that the owner described as a loose brace. This is not a forum on guitar repair, so I won't go into detail about the problems and their solution.
Bottom line is that these are a decent Japanese guitar from the mid seventies and valued at around $300 dependant upon condition. Some dealers attempt to sell these for much more because of the name Gretsch attached to the label. Be smart.

Dorado Model Numbers

Boy, do I know how to look stupid? (please don't respond to that statement)
The 5968 written on the label is a model number, not a serial number. It seems that the labels were void of serial numbers rather than model numbers (the opposite of what I had originally suspected). The Dorado I'm working on is constructed of rosewood while the Model 5969 is Mahogany. The 5969 is identicle in size to the 5968 but had nickel plated tuners and a satin finish. From my quick look around the auction business, it appears that the Mahogany back and sides model brings about $150 less than the Rosewood model.

Dorado 5969 Guitar

I have a Dorado model 5969 guitar I bought in Germany when I was staitioned there in 1986. Still play it everyday. Has that look and sound similiar to a Martin D18 in my opinion and not to bad for a guiatr I paid $25.00 for. If anyone has any information on this model guiatr I would love to get it.

Thanks

dj122458@yahoo.com

i bought a Dorado in Morgan Arkansas at the foot of the Ozarks back in 1992 for $350. the shop had a lot of Grestch,Gibson, Fender, Yamaha and the like, no talk of Dorado being Grestch then: though i would love to thik so,Brought it home to Ireland and im still plaing it

:I purchased a Dorado Model 5990 in 1972 new and it was DISTRIBUTED by Gretch, made in Japan. This is a low price "starter" guitar that equals many higher priced brands. I can let it sit for weeks and it stays in tune. Age has mellowed the sound and it plays as well as any fender, Gibson, or even Gretch, of equal construction all things considered.

: Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic).We wanted to see what kind of value it might have,and maybe how old it is.
Seiral # 15965 Thank You for any help you could give us.

Yo! fun...
i like it :)
John
<a href="http://www.toshain.com">painting</a>

: : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic).We wanted to see what kind of value it might have,and maybe how old it is.
: Seiral # 15965 Thank You for any help you could give us.

: : : Looking for some info on a guitar that was distributed by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic).We wanted to see what kind of value it might have,and maybe how old it is.
: : Seiral # 4461 model # 5989 Thank You for any help you could give us.

: Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic) I bought one too. Mines pretty but not in great shape, got it for a project, cheap tuners!

: Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

hello, i have that guitar and ive been trying to research the make myself.ive had the guitars since 1984 so im thinking mid 70s

: : Looking for some info on a guitar that was made by gretsch under the name dorado (Acoustic)

: hello, i have that guitar and ive been trying to research the make myself.ive had the guitars since 1984 so im thinking mid 70s

: Hey i have the same guitar modle number5966 and i cant find anything about it so if any on know please email me
beachkid90@hotmail.com name it Dorado becasue i get alot of crap in my email.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.