Re: Framus 12 String - Age and Value Needed

Posted by Don Holt on Mon, 02/04/02 - 22:20:28.

I have a Framus 12 string as well. The year of manufacture is found on the inside label. You should notice a 5 digit number and then a space and a year number like 69, etc. The 12 string was not popular for production until the mid 60's. Should you find a 12 string of any brand dating before the early 60's most likely it was a custom guitar. Most of the experts have told me that the guitar is not an expensive guitar. My brother bought the one that I have out of a pawn shop in the 80's for $100. If you find out anything to the contrary I would love to hear about it.

: I have an old Framus 12 string acoustic guitar. It looks almost identical to a six string model they called The Texan. I've found pictures on the internet very similar to mine, but they all have decorative metal fittings on the bridge (which mine does not have). Can anyone help me on age and approximate value? Did they make a 12 string version of The Texan? Model 5/296, Serial Number 2031

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Searching for a Framus 12 string

Hello
I'm searching for a Framus 12 string from the early 60's model 5/024 or 5/24 and 5/26
Please contact me.
Thank you.

Framus 12 Strings guitar

I saw a Framus 12 string here.... looks like an early 60s model https://reverb.com/item/636738-framus-75d-12-string-sunburst

Framus Hootenanny 12 String

Hi
I have one the is from 1965-66 on sunburst.
Let me know if you're interested.
Write me here: daniele_bezzeccheri@alice.it
Daniele.

: I have a Framus 12 string as well. The year of manufacture is found on the inside label. You should notice a 5 digit number and then a space and a year number like 69, etc. The 12 string was not popular for production until the mid 60's. Should you find a 12 string of any brand dating before the early 60's most likely it was a custom guitar. Most of the experts have told me that the guitar is not an expensive guitar. My brother bought the one that I have out of a pawn shop in the 80's for $100. If you find out anything to the contrary I would love to hear about it.

: : I have an old Framus 12 string acoustic guitar. It looks almost identical to a six string model they called The Texan. I've found pictures on the internet very similar to mine, but they all have decorative metal fittings on the bridge (which mine does not have). Can anyone help me on age and approximate value? Did they make a 12 string version of The Texan? Model 5/296, Serial Number 2031

the 12 strings are selling for $300 - 400 I've noticed. I just picked up a Framus 5/296 Texan
for $40.00 yesterdayand am hoping to flip it.

12 string framus 96663

what would this be worth and how old is it serial number 96663

I have the same guitar and the bridge is held on with screws. I looked on the inside and it appears that the wood would have to be pulled right off the guitar for the bridge to fail. I did observe that the bridge was pulling away from the body and was concerned about getting it glued on. Then I thought about it and perhaps the design is to have the bridge to give a little so that it prevents the top of the guitar from being pulled and distorted. Does anyone have any insight into Framus's design?
Thanks

I have a 5/296 from 1966 that I bought new. It was made before the screw on bridge and bolt-on neck. It is a shade lighter and has an enormously better tone than than the "Texan" version. I also have one of those from 1971. I had a choice of the Framus or Gibson ($20 more, so not a big deal)but the sound of this particular Framus was better and it was easier to play. I have gigged with this off and on and it has a great presence. The tone has improved over the years. The bridge did start to come off years ago, but I had it professionally glued back on. It holds a tuning forever (unless your are standing by Lake Superior where nothing stays in tune)and someone will have to pry it from my cold dead hands to have it. I have only seen a couple of guitars like it and believe this version was only made for a short time.

: I have the same guitar and the bridge is held on with screws. I looked on the inside and it appears that the wood would have to be pulled right off the guitar for the bridge to fail. I did observe that the bridge was pulling away from the body and was concerned about getting it glued on. Then I thought about it and perhaps the design is to have the bridge to give a little so that it prevents the top of the guitar from being pulled and distorted. Does anyone have any insight into Framus's design?
: Thanks

Thanks for the information! Unfortunately my label is partially torn. I can only make outa 4 digit number (doesn't really look like there eve was a fifth...but maybe). If there was a date next to it, that part is definitely gone. By the way, the model number is written in pen (not printed). Also, it says "Made in the Heart Land" on the label with a picture that looks like a factory. Anyway, thanks for your help. I bought this one at a yard sale for $10...it's in pretty good shape actually.

: I have a Framus 12 string as well. The year of manufacture is found on the inside label. You should notice a 5 digit number and then a space and a year number like 69, etc. The 12 string was not popular for production until the mid 60's. Should you find a 12 string of any brand dating before the early 60's most likely it was a custom guitar. Most of the experts have told me that the guitar is not an expensive guitar. My brother bought the one that I have out of a pawn shop in the 80's for $100. If you find out anything to the contrary I would love to hear about it.

: : I have an old Framus 12 string acoustic guitar. It looks almost identical to a six string model they called The Texan. I've found pictures on the internet very similar to mine, but they all have decorative metal fittings on the bridge (which mine does not have). Can anyone help me on age and approximate value? Did they make a 12 string version of The Texan? Model 5/296, Serial Number 2031

I have owned a Framus Texan 12 String for a lot of years. Like the others, mine has a seal on the inside with Model 5/269 and Serial #13111 (in ink), with a 70 C following that. Stamped off to the side is "EX". I do not know what that represents. It has the "factory" picture, "Build In The Heart Land", and after the Model, Serial #, etc., the bottom of the label has "Framus - Werke - Bavaria", and under that "Made in W. Germany." There is also a steel back plate below the neck that says "Made in Germany." I bought it from a friend for $80.

: Thanks for the information! Unfortunately my label is partially torn. I can only make outa 4 digit number (doesn't really look like there eve was a fifth...but maybe). If there was a date next to it, that part is definitely gone. By the way, the model number is written in pen (not printed). Also, it says "Made in the Heart Land" on the label with a picture that looks like a factory. Anyway, thanks for your help. I bought this one at a yard sale for $10...it's in pretty good shape actually.

: : I have a Framus 12 string as well. The year of manufacture is found on the inside label. You should notice a 5 digit number and then a space and a year number like 69, etc. The 12 string was not popular for production until the mid 60's. Should you find a 12 string of any brand dating before the early 60's most likely it was a custom guitar. Most of the experts have told me that the guitar is not an expensive guitar. My brother bought the one that I have out of a pawn shop in the 80's for $100. If you find out anything to the contrary I would love to hear about it.

: : : I have an old Framus 12 string acoustic guitar. It looks almost identical to a six string model they called The Texan. I've found pictures on the internet very similar to mine, but they all have decorative metal fittings on the bridge (which mine does not have). Can anyone help me on age and approximate value? Did they make a 12 string version of The Texan? Model 5/296, Serial Number 2031

Hi,
I have a Framus 12 string and the inside label says made in Bavaria. The model = Texan 6/2951 M Or it is 5/2951 M it is written in pencil and hard to make out. It has a serial number stamped in ink which is 53388. Can you tell what this model # means? Was it made in 1951? or does the M stand for a year of manufacture? I have owned it since 1974/75 and it was previously owned by a person that played bars etc. It was a gift so I don't know the cost but I got the impression it was a few, 3 or 4 hundred dollars.

: Hi,
: I have a Framus 12 string and the inside label says made in Bavaria. The model = Texan 6/2951 M Or it is 5/2951 M it is written in pencil and hard to make out. It has a serial number stamped in ink which is 53388. Can you tell what this model # means? Was it made in 1951? or does the M stand for a year of manufacture? I have owned it since 1974/75 and it was previously owned by a person that played bars etc. It was a gift so I don't know the cost but I got the impression it was a few, 3 or 4 hundred dollars.

They were never that expensive AFAICR. My dad bought a Gaucho, which I still own, brand new, in 1972 for £15 i.e. around £30 at the time. The now rarely make more than £120.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.