Hofner Nightingale

Posted by Ed K on Wed, 04/04/01 - 07:00:28.

I'm interested in the Hofner Nightingale. I found a 1998 in new condition... price $1500 USD. How would you rate the workmanship (quality), playability, and sound of the Nightingale?

Is $1500 a fair price?

Thank,

Ed

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Hofner Nightingale

: I'm interested in the Hofner Nightingale. I found a 1998 in new condition... price $1500 USD. How would you rate the workmanship (quality), playability, and sound of the Nightingale?

: Is $1500 a fair price?

: Thank,

: Ed

I have a 96 nightingale the workmanship of this instrument is faultless.The sound however gave me a few problems.It was just too fat and loud it would turn emy twin to mud instantly. I rewired the humbuckers to a pararlell configiration and this reduced the output and gave me additional treble, which is what I was after.I used the guitar at live gigs for a while then found that I missed the agressive tone(overdrive now a bit weak).I put the gtr in mothballs and went back to my strat/les paul combination (blues player). The gtr played so beautifully I just had to make it work.I ended up going through pickup replacements (old rewired gibsons from my 355 and a couple of others)but still not right. I eventually exhausted all possibilities and put the thing back together as original.
I dropped the pickup heights to as low as possible to overcome the out of control gain (buzzsaw with my boss overdrive)and this finally fixed the problem. I played it last night at a gig and it was great.I have to boost my treble (10 normally 6)but I got the tone, now I am very happy, not quite as bright as my les paul or 355 but has a great distinctive tone, lovely throaty sustain the gtr really sings when you get the sweet spot.
Summation: not a pop/rock gtr jazz/blues is where it sits.
workmanship/playability excellent. A expensive gtr but if you get one at the right price grab it.You post is a bit old and I assume that you never bouht it but I think the price is about right for 2004 maybe a little high for 2001.
I got mine for $350usd an absolute steal.
regards
ken

All 3 models of the nightingale were delivered with a special circuity.
the catalog says:
turn tone control to 10 for single coil sound, turn back to 8 for humbucker,
the price depends on the model ... i have a special with ebony fretboard the topmodel. I found that my guitar had more brilliance than a 335 or LP Standard. I played these two too. And the humbucker outpuck is as strong as the output from a Paula. And with the neck-PU its less "mud".
I had to pay in the mid-90ties about 1200 USD ( but I bought this guitar in Germany ). If you will buy such an instrument in the States it will cost you more ( shipping, escrows, etc ).

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.