Re: kay kelvinator geetar

Posted by Russell Earl Marsland on Mon, 04/09/01 - 20:46:47.

: i'm lookin' for a kay kelvinator archtop, do you know of any....let me know, thanks. I have one with original case. Very coooool! Fantastic condition. '57 to '59 not sure which . Has been properly set up and intonated. Looks exactly like the blond one in the D'addario calender

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Rick,

I recently found one in a guitar shop in Delaware. Mixed in with all the new Fender Strats and Teles
and Gibson Les Paul models was a slightly damaged Kay archtop. To be specific, a 1959 model P4
in tobacco sunburst with a full Kelvinator headstock and gold sparkle pickguard. The "person" who owned
it previously, tried to turn it into a solid body guitar. He filled the body with yellow spray foam insulation
and then drilled holes in the archtop and put in a Gibson tune o matic bridge and tailpiece. The one similar
to what you would find on a Les Paul. He also replaced the single pickup with a black and white humbucker
in the neck position. This pickup is actually too powerful for the archtop design.

Anyway, it took me two days to remove 99% of the foam insulation with a coat hanger through
the f holes. I found and refitted an original trapeze tailpiece and archtop bridge. I am in the process
of plugging the 4 holes that he drilled into it.

The guitar sounds great with flatwound strings . 011 on the high end. I am keeping it forever because
I am from 1959 too. I wish you luck finding one and all the best.

Rick,

I recently found one in a guitar shop in Delaware. Mixed in with all the new Fender Strats and Teles
and Gibson Les Paul models was a slightly damaged Kay archtop. To be specific, a 1959 model P4
in tobacco sunburst with a full Kelvinator headstock and gold sparkle pickguard. The "person" who owned
it previously, tried to turn it into a solid body guitar. He filled the body with yellow spray foam insulation
and then drilled holes in the archtop and put in a Gibson tune o matic bridge and tailpiece. The one similar
to what you would find on a Les Paul. He also replaced the single pickup with a black and white humbucker
in the neck position. This pickup is actually too powerful for the archtop design.

Anyway, it took me two days to remove 99% of the foam insulation with a coat hanger through
the f holes. I found and refitted an original trapeze tailpiece and archtop bridge. I am in the process
of plugging the 4 holes that he drilled into it.

The guitar sounds great with flatwound strings . 011 on the high end. I am keeping it forever because
I am from 1959 too. I wish you luck finding one and all the best.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.