Vox Folk 12 Electric

Advertisement
Posted by rickenboinker on Sun, 09/18/05 - 18:58:46.

I have a wonderful old Vox Folk 12 Electric that I’ve been pounding on since 1967. my guess is that it was made around 1965 (I bought it from a friend ($125) who’d bought it at least second-hand in a Denver pawn shop. it’s a big-body dreadnaught of quilted maple sides and back, spruce top (all aged to a nice amber color), rosewood fretboard and a gloss-black neck made of I-know-not-what. It’s covered with a thick layer of polyester lacquer(?) which is impervious to scratches, but which has cracked in places because it expands at a different rate from the wood it covers. Heavy play for 38 years has done nothing to wear the heavy black-lacquered neck back and tuning head, which has a big “Vox” cut into it in white. It’s got a magnetic pickup mounted at the end of the neck and has black anodized, knurled tone- and volume-control knobs (one each). There’s a ¼-inch phone jack on the bottom side, about the same place jacks are located on Fender P-Basses or Rickenbacker guitars. The only example I’ve seen in photo is on the cover of an old Dave Clark 5 album. I believe it may be the model of 12-string used by John Lennon on the Help album (“You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away”). On the back of the peg-head is stamped “Made in Italy by Vox.” I’m wondering if it was built by Eko, or did Vox actually build its own acoustic guitars in the 60s? It’s got a big, wonderful tone and it plays like a dream. Its body shape is identical to an Eko Ranger VI, and the distinctive pickguards are nearly identical. The bridge (ebony?) cracked in two in 1971, and I had it replaced by a rosewood replica carved by a luthier in San Francisco. Later, the neck block cracked in two, and I had it replaced and the neck reset in Oklahoma City by Don Teeter, a certified Martin repair ace and author of several guitar-repair books. It’s got a bolt-on neck with the number 238199 stamped on the mounting plate.

Have you heard of this guitar model? Do you know who the builder might have been? Thanks…

Related Article:
Vox AC30C2X Blues Amp

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Vox Folk 12 Electric

I have one very similar if not identical

: I have a wonderful old Vox Folk 12 Electric that I’ve been pounding on since 1967. my guess is that it was made around 1965 (I bought it from a friend ($125) who’d bought it at least second-hand in a Denver pawn shop. it’s a big-body dreadnaught of quilted maple sides and back, spruce top (all aged to a nice amber color), rosewood fretboard and a gloss-black neck made of I-know-not-what. It’s covered with a thick layer of polyester lacquer(?) which is impervious to scratches, but which has cracked in places because it expands at a different rate from the wood it covers. Heavy play for 38 years has done nothing to wear the heavy black-lacquered neck back and tuning head, which has a big “Vox” cut into it in white. It’s got a magnetic pickup mounted at the end of the neck and has black anodized, knurled tone- and volume-control knobs (one each). There’s a ¼-inch phone jack on the bottom side, about the same place jacks are located on Fender P-Basses or Rickenbacker guitars. The only example I’ve seen in photo is on the cover of an old Dave Clark 5 album. I believe it may be the model of 12-string used by John Lennon on the Help album (“You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away”). On the back of the peg-head is stamped “Made in Italy by Vox.” I’m wondering if it was built by Eko, or did Vox actually build its own acoustic guitars in the 60s? It’s got a big, wonderful tone and it plays like a dream. Its body shape is identical to an Eko Ranger VI, and the distinctive pickguards are nearly identical. The bridge (ebony?) cracked in two in 1971, and I had it replaced by a rosewood replica carved by a luthier in San Francisco. Later, the neck block cracked in two, and I had it replaced and the neck reset in Oklahoma City by Don Teeter, a certified Martin repair ace and author of several guitar-repair books. It’s got a bolt-on neck with the number 238199 stamped on the mounting plate.

:

: Have you heard of this guitar model? Do you know who the builder might have been? Thanks…

:

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.