Re: carlos guitars???!!!!

Posted by sammy romo on Sun, 10/24/04 - 13:04:53.

: I bought a Carlos model 249 in November of 1980 (all brown mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, the guitar was made in Sept of the same year, there is a date stamp in one of the struts just under the top as you look through the sound hole.) I paid $100 for it brand new, and $25 for a case. Over the years, I have had her neck trued up and the fretboard worked and the action lowered to the point that she plays like butter. Through all the years her voice has only gotten better, sweet and bright because of the brass supports for her strings. I have been offered $1200.00 for this guitar and I turned it down, because it would cost me more than that to buy a Martin replace her.
: I bought the guitar at King's Music in Albuquerque NM. I was later told that Carlos guitars in originated in Korea and that the 249 I had was an introductory model--this company was trying to make a name for itself. Sometime later, the company moved to Malaysia, or so I was told, and their quality went away--consequently I guess the company went away soon afterward.
: The early Carlos guitars (Korean) were well crafted instruments and made from quality materials and as far as I know, are sought after if they are in fine shape. When a guitar dealer offers you 800.00 for a 20 year old guitar you only paid 100 bucks for, you know you did damn good. In retrospect, I wish I had bought the whole shipment.
: I wish you all well in diging up any other information on Carlos guitars and would appreciate an e-mail if you all find anything interesting.
: Finally, in buying any kind of guitar, new or used, it's all about sound and looks. If you like the sound and the looks of the guitar (oh, and you like the way it feels) and the price is in your budget, by all means buy it. Just don't buy something because of the name stamped on it...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Carlos

I have one of these that I bought in the summer of 82 in California. I had a bunch of trouble over the years with the tuning keys and, for many years didn't play. I recently picked it up again and put new tuning keys on her. I got good ones so that I wouldn't always be "playing the tuning song," as my wife calls it.

It sounds great and will be my go-to for informal settings, campfires, etc when I don't want to take the Martin outside...

It sounds wonderful, but, if someone offered me $800 bucks for it, I'd take it in a heartbeat!

Carlos vintage folk acoustic - 1977

I picked mine up for $40 last year at a thrift shop. It's got a truly gorgeous sound.
It's beautifully made, but has some minor surface scratches on the varnish - it was a student guitar, and it's been etched by hand with the year, 1977 and the name of the school on the rear of the headstock. What a lucky find! I love it and will never sell it

carlos guitar

I was given a Carlos acoustic guitar for my birthday in '86.It wasn't brand new but bought from a pawnshop in Eloise,Fl.Now I've played Gibson,Alvarez,Hondo,Yamaha among others.But my Carlos is the best one I've played to date.It has great action,is light weight and has good tone.I would estimate it is at least 35 years old.Although the wood on the bridge is cracking from pressure from the strings all these years it is still the best guitar I've ever played,bar none.

Carlos guitars model 249

i just found my Carlos 249 at a garage sale and i paid $25, the guy wanted $30...when i found it i couldn't tell how sweet she was...as i played her and compared her to my $600 shallow bowl ovation or my 52 tele i realized how much i really like her...i was going to buy a martin that i saw for $1700 which i thought wasn't too badly priced, now i can direct the money to a Gibson es 335 cherry color that i want so bad...so essentially i saved myself from having to buy the martin... now i am sure a lot of people think there is no comparison at all between the Carlos and the martin guitars....what i know about the Carlos guitars is that, specially the Carlos model 249, was copied exactly,including the number of frets to the body(which are 14) from a martin guitar model D-28...when it comes to creating or inventing things, nobody on this whole planet is better than us Americans...but when it comes to copying, the Asians can kick our little asses any day...i think the fact that the Koreans used brass for the saddle, the frets, bridge and the inlays gives the Carlos a sweeter sound, as far as my Carlos ...she is impeccable, no scratches, no cracks, shines incredibly, the neck is straight, the frets are fine....all in all she looks like brand new...

: : I bought a Carlos model 249 in November of 1980 (all brown mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, the guitar was made in Sept of the same year, there is a date stamp in one of the struts just under the top as you look through the sound hole.) I paid $100 for it brand new, and $25 for a case. Over the years, I have had her neck trued up and the fretboard worked and the action lowered to the point that she plays like butter. Through all the years her voice has only gotten better, sweet and bright because of the brass supports for her strings. I have been offered $1200.00 for this guitar and I turned it down, because it would cost me more than that to buy a Martin replace her.
: : I bought the guitar at King's Music in Albuquerque NM. I was later told that Carlos guitars in originated in Korea and that the 249 I had was an introductory model--this company was trying to make a name for itself. Sometime later, the company moved to Malaysia, or so I was told, and their quality went away--consequently I guess the company went away soon afterward.
: : The early Carlos guitars (Korean) were well crafted instruments and made from quality materials and as far as I know, are sought after if they are in fine shape. When a guitar dealer offers you 800.00 for a 20 year old guitar you only paid 100 bucks for, you know you did damn good. In retrospect, I wish I had bought the whole shipment.
: : I wish you all well in diging up any other information on Carlos guitars and would appreciate an e-mail if you all find anything interesting.
: : Finally, in buying any kind of guitar, new or used, it's all about sound and looks. If you like the sound and the looks of the guitar (oh, and you like the way it feels) and the price is in your budget, by all means buy it. Just don't buy something because of the name stamped on it...

A friend of mine found a model 249 at a tag sale for $15.00w with the case. I brought it home tuned it up and fell in love with it. What do you think is a fair offer for it? It has some minor scratches on the pick gaurd but other than that it looks and sounds great.

My mom just got me a new acoustic Carlos guitar as a gift! i don't know anything about it except that it's brown :P
And to be honest I kinda wish that she asked me before she got it because i've never heard of a Carlos before.. It sounds good though

I have a Carlos model 249 that I bought in Anchorage Alaska when I was stationed there with the Air Force in 1980 and I still have it. I have not found a guitar yet that sounds as sweet as my Carlos. I love it, I have never had it appraised but it would take alot for me to even consider getting rid of it. Mine is made in Korea and have never had a problem with it. It has a tone like no other guitar I have ever played, I always find myself going back to my Carlos to play over other more expensive guitars. I hope everyone loves theres as much as I love mine.

how do you replace the strings for the 249.....?

I have a Carlos Acoustic Model 275, made in Korea and I can't find a single thing on Carlos guitars, other then what I've found from people here, we should get a Carlos Club going, haha, seems we are a rare breed of people brought together buying what we thought were cheap playable guitars and turns out we are playing some obviously rare instruments

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.