Re: WestMinster Strat copies, and Pan(univox) guitars

Posted by don on Tue, 02/11/03 - 12:56:01.

: hello, I was wondering if anyone knows anything about a Westminster strat copy it has the large mid 60's fender style headstock, three color sunburst and three single coils p-u's. the pickguard is a nicely aged white and it says it was made in japan but I thought these were british is it a half decent guitar for 115$ Canadian?

: Also I was wondering if anyone could give me any info or leads on Pan guitars, thanks...

Reply: The westminster,does it have big polished frets
and taller than stock (fender stock,that is)alnico pick-ups?
A really heavy 7 piece ash body? Those were Veneman Store/
BRADLEY 'S... from around late 70's/early 80's made in
japan to Ted Veneman's personal specs!And I like mine
better than any Fender I have ever owned or played.
Luck may get you one for the price of 2 cases of beer,
I would not take the price of several houses for mine.
Happy hunting and don't get there before I do,cos' I'm
looking for more of them!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

the most I have been able to find about PAN guitars is that they were made in the 50's in japan by aria/matsumoku they also produced univox,lyle,maxi-tone,conrad,domino and arita
around that time

I have a pan SG knock off that looks exactly like a SG copy I saw that was made by Lyle

:Hi, I have a Westminster model # 044199, made in Japan. It's black laquer finished. All white trim with polished frets, rosewood and pearl inlaid under the strings.(6) I would like some info is I could and would greatly appreciate it, thanks, John

i would like any info i can get on how i can find a pan guitar acoustic i think they were made in japan in the 1950 and 60's mine was stole a few weeks ago ive had it for seventeen years so im on the look do you know appreciate it, thanks, heidi

I have a Westminster Les Paul which I purchased brand new in 1974. The entire guitar is mahogany with natural finish. It is far superior to any Les Paul I have ever played.The tone and overall playability is phenominal. I have been searching for info on this long discontinued brand and this is the first time I have ever seen anyone even mention the name Westminster. Godd luck

Got me an Westminster LP,

Got me an Westminster LP, transparent cherry or tobacco finish, MAPLE fretboard bolton neck 3pc w black inlays , really hot n dirty zebra humbuckers w different polepieces screws one side flat on other (7.49 kOhm, but loud!), strange but solid two-screw-mounted tuners with a logo that's like an arrow twisting around to point at its origin (slightly rustflecked steel), frets silver color but with a hint of greening bronze... Japan, seemingly 70s, looks to be Matsumoku made.

Heavy. Neckplate says steel adjustable neck, japan.

She's a beauty, except the yellowish brand name and faded black headstock.

Sound is pure old rock or dirty blues. She's great. Got her, w typical matsumoku orange plush les Paul hard case, for $120. Owner died, family selling off his "junk"

No complaints except pots are falling apart sticking or dying with age (20 bucks to fix, no biggie for a 40yo guitar)

Anybody know what these zebra humbuckers are?

i bought a near mint condition 70's westminster les paul last week. black with gold hardware. it sounded good but the action was a little tough.took to local guitar luthier/repair shop. replaced the bridge pu with a seymour duncan jb model humbucker. and the neck with a seymour duncan 69 model humbucker.( as was recommended by shop.) they also did a set up, put on ping tuners(similar to grovers) and adjusted the action. this guitar now plays and sounds just as good as any les paul i have ever heard. total cost to me after pu's, set up ,tuners and guitar purchase price ($250)for a grand total to me of $600 awesome hand finished japanese masterpiece. if you see one cheap fix it up.

: I have a Westminster Les Paul which I purchased in a pawn shop in Oklahoma City six months ago.I also have been trying to locate info on this mahogany masterpeice.It has the hottest zebra humbuckers I have ever heard and the overall perforamce is unmatched by the real deal.This is a right hand model and I am left handed.I played it for awhile upside down but have converted it to left handed.So far this guy (brand) is a mystery??????? it does have a serial number.I am a former owner of a 1978 Les Paul Custom.

: I have a Westminster Les Paul which I purchased in a pawn shop in Oklahoma City six months ago.I also have been trying to locate info on this mahogany masterpeice.It has the hottest zebra humbuckers I have ever heard and the overall perforamce is unmatched by the real deal.This is a right hand model and I am left handed.I played it fot awhile upside down but have converted it to left handed.So far this guy (brand) is a mystery??????? it does have a serial number.I am a former owner of a 1978 Les Paul Custom.

Re: zebra humbuckers

Those semi-covered zebras are real interesting stuff.

Turns out they're Maxon Super 70's, those highly collectible AlNiCo 8 PAF's that Ibanez put in a whole bunch of stuff, including that old Destroyer of EVH fame. They're wound like classic ~8kOhm PAFs (mine read 7.92), but have a rare AlNiCo8 magnet that gives them output comparable to Super Distortions and JBs.

What throws everyone off is that Ibanez claimed it was an Ibanez-exclusive innovative humbucker only to be found on Ibanezes... BUT, because the same guitars from the Ibanez catalog in the mid 70's were also sold rebadged under the Westminster and Greco names, they have the same pups.

Afaik, they were made by Matsumoku at a time when Ibanez was switching to FujiGen and Greco also to somewhere else. Possibly, the entire brand was created to put a different name on guitars built on those lines whose production capacity was freed up by Greco & Ibanez switching to another manufacturer.

Most (all?) Westminster models are essentially rebadged Ibanez and Greco products.

I have a Westminster acoustic model 150, made in Japan. I bought it used for $85 and love it! I have never seen or heard the name anywhere until I read this message thread. Sounds like they made good quality stuff while still around.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2018 , All Rights Reserved.