Morris Model G208 circa1976

Posted by Fred Pierce on Tue, 12/07/04 - 11:01:33.
In Reply to Guitar Explosion

I'm trying to determine the value of this guitar (insurance purposes). It was in excellent shape, made in 1976.

Any ideas would be helpful.
Thanks,
Fred

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Morris Model G208 circa1976

I have a G208 that is stamped 1975. I originally bought it 2 years ago at a pawn shop in North Hollywood for $65.00. I had recently given this guitar to a friend of mine as a house warming present, thinking I would buy a better one for myself. The only modification on my part was swapping out the bridge saddle for a herring bone piece. I then spent 2 months shopping around for another classical/flamenco in the sub-$500 range and settled on the Yamaha CG-171SF because it seemed well made & had many positive reviews. All the guitars I tested in this price range had reasonably good tone & craftmanship. ANYWAYS.. I went to visit that same friend last week to show him my new guit. & picked up the Morris that I had gifted, just for old times sake...(ahem)..the beat-up Morris g208 was shockingly more responsive & the sustain was far better..even with the same old strings I had left on it...Well, my friend was impressed with the new guitar I had bought- mostly because it was new looking. So we swapped! I couldn't be more satisfied. lol. In fairness, the Yamaha was a flamenco guitar. This would lend to it having less sustain in the lower registers and give it more of a percussive response in the higher registers. Maybe it was overbuilt, but it really felt like an oar compared to the G208- even though the action & neck were comfortable. Also, considering that the G208 is 32 yrs old & showing its battle scars, the intonation is still great. Obviously a well made & resilient guitar.
kthxbye

I've continued to play the Morris and feel the same way. I've bought and sold many guitars since this orignial posting (a couple of Martins, a Taylor) and turned around and sold them all except the Morris. I originally paid $25 for and had to change out the tuning gears. I've been offered $750 for it since then by a friend who plays and records professionally. Every time we sit down to write, he picks my guitar up first, plays a few rifs and shakes his head, smiles and sets it back down...I swear...the sound gets better every year. It ages like a good good bottle of wine.

Fred

: I have a G208 that is stamped 1975. I originally bought it 2 years ago at a pawn shop in North Hollywood for $65.00. I had recently given this guitar to a friend of mine as a house warming present, thinking I would buy a better one for myself. The only modification on my part was swapping out the bridge saddle for a herring bone piece. I then spent 2 months shopping around for another classical/flamenco in the sub-$500 range and settled on the Yamaha CG-171SF because it seemed well made & had many positive reviews. All the guitars I tested in this price range had reasonably good tone & craftmanship. ANYWAYS.. I went to visit that same friend last week to show him my new guit. & picked up the Morris that I had gifted, just for old times sake...(ahem)..the beat-up Morris g208 was shockingly more responsive & the sustain was far better..even with the same old strings I had left on it...Well, my friend was impressed with the new guitar I had bought- mostly because it was new looking. So we swapped! I couldn't be more satisfied. lol. In fairness, the Yamaha was a flamenco guitar. This would lend to it having less sustain in the lower registers and give it more of a percussive response in the higher registers. Maybe it was overbuilt, but it really felt like an oar compared to the G208- even though the action & neck were comfortable. Also, considering that the G208 is 32 yrs old & showing its battle scars, the intonation is still great. Obviously a well made & resilient guitar.
: kthxbye

I've just purchased this morris guitar G208 but can't seem to find anything out about it. Does anyone know what the woods are in this guitar model(top, back/side, neck, etc...)? If anyone can give me any information about this guitar I would be very thankful.

James

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.