Re: Yamaha SJ550HR

Advertisement
Posted by Phil Mossman on Mon, 05/05/08 - 23:18:40.

SJ550HR is a top-of-the-line Tele Deluxe. It's got the old design of Seth Lover - bobbins with metal polepieces magnetized by a bar underneath, instead of the very different Fender 'Wide Range" The SJ550 was made with excellent woods and to high specs, and was not super-cheap like a Pacifica, Squier, SX, etc. Fantastically versatile,
believable coil-tapping. Only criticism I can make is a personal preference - I like huge frets, and the SJ doesn't have them.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

I just got this from my uncle basement. It look new and play normal but i dont like it much since it dont have the metal sound to it. If i decide to sell it, how much can i get for it?

I played bass in the late 1980s and the Yamaha basses were better than the competition at my (cheap) price point, so I already played a BB300 bass. I wanted a versatile guitar, so I eventually acquired an SJ550, and it had a great neck with very precise fretwork, and like Phil said, a really killer coil tap sound. I think it is the second best Tele with humbuckers after the original non-reiss '72 deluxe. I would love to find one in decent condition, email me!
alstead AT gmail DOT com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.