yamaha sj 550 hr

Posted by romeo welch on Sun, 02/10/02 - 19:50:59.

can anyone tell me about the yamaha sj 550 hr made in japan ? what does the sj and hr what yrs. were they made and are the worth anything $100 $200 $300 ?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: yamaha sj 550 hr

Today i is a vintage guitar. I have one made in Taiwan 1987, all original except for the tone knob. It is orange 2t sunbrst, maple fretboard. It has some dents and pickup plates partially peeled (originaly black), but it is in very good condition for 30 years old. I got it used a year ago as cheap as 130 usd aprox. I did not know what i was buying, I only like the Tele style guitars, and it was and affordable option for me. After I got it I made some research and the is very scare info. But now I know it is a great guitar, it is all very top quality, but only for not being fender labeled it is not valued as it should. I made me with a PDF with the 1986 Yamaha Electric Guitar Catalog Pages with the SJ550 series and pickups info. If I wanted to sell mine i would not accept less than 500 usd because the vintage and very good condition, it is a high quality instrument, and because it is a very rare guitar and hard to find on market.

Yamaha SJ 550 HR - Value

I own a Yamaha SJ 550 HR and i am doing some research on it. How much it is worth today, whether or no it is worth getting set up properly etc. etc.

Thanks.

Yamaha SJ 550 HR (I own one).

This guitar rocks! It has amazing sounding pickups (humbuckers) that sound great for rock and blues and jazz. The high end is a bit flat at times meaning you lose just a tad of the clarity or subtleties of say a Strat. But it still rocks. |The neck is shorter like an EVH guitar and it has a coil tap so you can get single coil sounds. I could never find anything out about this guitar and was amazed at how cheap these sold for. I bought mine second hand but it was pretty much brand new (only been played once, literally). This guitar is amazing. Mine is a nice wood finish and looks amazing. It feels good and plays great. My high E and B strings sometimes go out of tune after a song or two but I probably just need to address some nut issues (insert pun here). I played in a Zeppelin tribute band and this guitar more than handled the job. I also have played a lot of blues gigs and some jazz and country. Basically it is awesome. If you are selling one I will buy it:)

Re: Yamaha SJ 550 HR - Value

I to own a Yamaha SJ550HR - Value, playability, and any other info you can throw my way. 602-245-9581
Thanks,
John

Re: Yamaha SJ 550 HR - Value

Hey,
I have a 1985 Yamaha SJ-550-HR and I've been using it steady (weekends) for the past 25 years. It's still sounding and performing rock solid. So far, I've had to replace one knob (the pick-up tapping knob) and the guitar cord insert. I've had set-ups done a couple of times and both times I'v ebeen told by the guitar techs that I have a pretty decent guitar. It's been a great guitar for me. I have been playing in a duo that does everything from 60's rock to bluegrass. I especially like the way you can tap the pick-up from single coil to humbucker. Very useful. I get the best of both the Fender and Gibson worlds.
I paid almost $800 for this guitar back in 1985. I actually went into the music store looking for a decent Tele and the salesman talked me into the Yamaha. I haven't regretted my decision from a playing standpoint, maybe I would have preferred a Tele because they are easier to sell on the used market. Today, I would price this guitar slightly lower than a Tele of equal vintage (just because it's a Tele, not because it's any better). So, if you had an '85 Mexican or Japanese Tele, you would probabably ask around $400 to $450 US for it. So I would price the Yamama at around $300- $350 depending on the condition.
Don't sell this guitar short. Mine has the playability and versitility of sound that puts it in the Fender and Gibson class. If you've taken decent care of your Yamaha SJ-550, it should be worth the bucks to someone else.

: can anyone tell me about the yamaha sj 550 hr made in japan ? what does the sj and hr what yrs. were they made and are the worth anything $100 $200 $300 ?

I want to find one of these in the HM or HR version. I had one for 15years and it was stolen outside the studio I was working in. Help me find one and email dannw87@earthlink.net

i have one. seems like a quality guitar to me.
maybe worth $300?

: : can anyone tell me about the yamaha sj 550 hr made in japan ? what does the sj and hr what yrs. were they made and are the worth anything $100 $200 $300 ?

: I want to find one of these in the HM or HR version. I had one for 15years and it was stolen outside the studio I was working in. Help me find one and email dannw87@earthlink.net

: i have one. seems like a quality guitar to me.
: maybe worth $300?

DO YOU STILL HAVE IT? WOULD STILL LIKE ONE, A NICE ONE MIGHT BE WORTH 250.00- PERHAPS 300 W/CASE
DANN - dwtoo@hotmail.com

:
: : : can anyone tell me about the yamaha sj 550 hr made in japan ? what does the sj and hr what yrs. were they made and are the worth anything $100 $200 $300 ?

: : I want to find one of these in the HM or HR version. I had one for 15years and it was stolen outside the studio I was working in. Help me find one and email dannw87@earthlink.net

Yamaha sj 550 hr

Hi I own a sj 550 hr unfortunately I can't help much with info about the guitar but I bought mine new in 1986 after seeing it in the shop for almost a year so their at least 30 years old! Wish I could help more but like you guys I can't find out much about them apart from Lionel Richie's guitarist used to play one on tour.

Yamaha SJ 550 HR owner

I bought my SJ 550 HR back in 1980 brand new in Omaha, NE. Fell in love with it then and still love it. It's all original and I've never had a problem with it over the years. Has the two humbuckers with the split coil tap. Mine's a dark royal maroon and these were quality built compared to entry level garbage today. It was made in Japan. To me I definitely wouldn't part with mine for no $200 or $300 dollars and I own two MIM Fender Strats, 72 Fender Telecaster Thinline, and a Fender Highway One Stratocaster. Tried to find a website that would give me exact date it was made in reference to the serial number. Hope this helps other SJ owners who've been left in the dark wondering about this great guitar.

Do you mean SG 550 HR ?? Tele style with two humbuckers ? made in the mid 80's.

ther is one on Aus Ebay now for $250

: can anyone tell me about the yamaha sj 550 hr made in japan ? what does the sj and hr stand 4 what yrs. were they made and are the worth anything $100 $200 $300 ?

They were made around 84 to 86 and never really took off (despite being great guitars). Don't know what the SJ prefix stands for. The other solid body yamaha's about at the time were the SG series and the less well known SE series which were strat-ish. The R of HR denotes Rosewood fingerboard. It also came in a maple necked version (HM) suffix. Value unknown. Originally retailed fr about £350 (Sterling) in the UK. I paid £220 new for mine after it had been gathering dust for about 2 years in 87

For more information on the Yamaha SJ 550 see my review on Harmony Central's review pages.
Mine is an '80's SJ 550 HM with a maple neck. I've never seen another. They're not particularly sought after, but great players and very versatile.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.