LYS Guitar

Posted by Jeremy on Sat, 12/27/03 - 14:37:08.

I have recently come across a LYS L18, (serial# 8345) guitar that was my great grandpas. I already have some vintage acoustics and am very excited about his one. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything more about this specific guitar. I know it is handmade in Canada, I believe Quebec to be more specific but anything else i could find out would be great. I am also very curious about value, my grandpa said it was about $600 canadain new?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

...and the thread goes on...L3

Hello Lovers of Lys!

I'm very happy to have found this thread.

I have a Lys L3 Serial # 8605. Looks like it could be wild cherry back and sides, but it could be walnut, and it could be a maple top, although the top resembles the grain of the back and sides so I'm guessing all walnut or all wild cherry. Very bright tone! One single stripe of wood marquetry down the back. Simple 3 ply marquetry ring around soundhole with 2 small wood rings and 1 dominant tortoise shell ring. Black teardrop pickguard. Tortoise shell binding on top and back. Tortoise shell truss rod plate. Rosewood bridge, fretboard, and fantastic headstock faceplate. 3-piece mahagony neck.

I love the headstock! The action is very high, and I won't be able to get it back down without a screw (as mentioned way above, and a solution from one guitar store owner), or resetting the neck. I have enough guitars that I can dedicate one to open tuning and slide, so I'm not tinkering with the neck (or the bright tone, also mentioned above.)

The information in this thread seems to be going in one direction only - towards the person compiling a database. I admire the project, so I am happy to contribute, but I would like a bit of feedback please.

If I could know the year it was manufactured, a breakdown of the serial number, and what the production run of the L3 was, that would be greatly appreciated!

Play on!

LYS L20

Jerry,

I have a LYS L20, year 1980, serial number 1209. I purchased this guitar in 1981. At the time I was told that the body of the guitar was made of White Birch and the neck of Rosewood. The guitar is in excellent condition and the sound is fantastic. Found your sight recently which proved to be very helpful and thought you might to add this one to your data base.

Eric

LYS L5 #9345 acoustic quitar

Any information, ,, how much it's worth,,,,, would be appreciated.

Lys l3 serial number 9431

I have a lys l3 serial number 9431 for sale in saskatchewan Canada. Email me if you're interested. Braeden_balfour@hotmail.com

LYS L10-12 String Guitar

For Sale: LYS L10-12 String Handmade circa 1985 Guitar. $500.
SOLID Mahogony back and sides. Spruce top.
Plays and sound great.
Contact me @ Wez@ centurytel.net Thanks

LYS L-5

I have a LYS L-5 that I would like to sell, but have no idea how much it's worth?!? Any suggestions?

Lys guitar

If you still have this guitar for sale, I'd be interested. My husband has one and my son has always tried to steal it.

L5

Bonjour, tout dépendant de sa condition, entre 200-350$. Je collectionne les guitares Lys, envoi moi des photos, je pourrai vous donnez une meilleure idée...
Jerry

guitare LYS

Salut,
J'ai une LYS L12 1980 à vendre...collectionnes-tu toujours ces guitares?

Lys

Bonjour Vincent, oui je collectionne toujours les Lys...envoi-moi des photos...merci.
Jerry

LYS guitar

Hello Jerry,

I was on another site and there was a
Jerry looking for Info on LYS guitars. Are you building a registry? If so I have a LYS and wanted to add my info.

Scott

Lys guitar

Hi Scott, yes still working on the register, just send me info and pics...thanks. Jerry

Vends Guitare LYS L10-12

Bonjour
Je mets en vente une Guitare LYS 12 cordes.
Elle est de 1981, porte la référence L10-12
Numéro de série : 1368
Notée : "Fabriquée à la main au Canada".
+ une étiquette en 2 couleurs Noir et Rouge sur fond Blanc : "Je suis en bois solide - j'ai besoin de 45% d'humidité." / (en français et en anglais).
La guitare est électro-acoustique ; le branchement se fait par un jack classique dans l'attache sangle à l'arrière de la guitare et la prise de son se fait au niveau du chevalet. En revanche, il n'existe aucun contrôle de volume ou de tonalité sur l'instrument.
Le flight-case est d'origine et très solide et s'il protège bien l'instrument, malheureusement il ne ferme plus.
Si vous êtes intéressé, je peux vous envoyer des photos.

Bonne journée
--------------------------------------------

Good Morning
I'm selling a 12-string Guitar LYS.
It's 1981, bears the reference L10-12
Serial number: 1368
Noted: "Handcrafted in Canada."
+ A label in 2 colors Black and Red on White background: "I am solid wood - I need 45% humidity." / (In French and English).
The guitar is electro-acoustic; the connection is made by a conventional jack in the tether strap to the back of the guitar and the sound is at the bridge. However, there is no volume control or tone on the instrument.
The flight case is original and very solid and it protects the instrument well, unfortunately it doesn't close.

If you are interested, I can send you pictures.
Have a good day

Lys Guitar

Hey!

By accident I came to your post here. I have surely a very rare coincidence to tell you.

I also have the LYS L10-12
And guess what my serial number is.... 1369!! :-)

Cheers,
Thomas

your Lys

Hi, yes please send me some pics...thanks. Jerry

LYS L20

I have a Lys L20 model #1009. While my Taylor is at the shop I decided to finally pull it out of the basement. I need to glue where the headstock has become separated from the neck pretty badly, and some of the finish/wood coat? on the front of headstock needs to be glued back on, peeling off sort of. I bought this guitar I think in 1990? when i was camping in the Adirondacks in NY at a music shop near Canada. I'm not selling this guitar but just sharing the info if anyone is interested.

LYS - TAYLOR

Your post is interesting - only because my Taylor is sick also and will be in the shop tomorrow.
The other aspect of this is that I have re-strung my 1980 LYS (L 18 CW) as a back up. I had the local luthier ( Richard Paxton) secure the neck with a large screw ( in lieu of resetting the neck ) couple of years ago and it seems to be holding.
It ain't that great action wise - but the tone is very nice.
Synchronistic !

Guitares Lys

Je ne suis pas la personne avec laquelle tu communiquais, mais j'ai pris la liberté de te jaser un peu.

Moi aussi, je collectionne les guitares Lys. Je suis curieux de voir si je vais te joindre par l'entremise de ce site.

À plus tard.

ML

Collection Guitares Lys

Bonjour Marc, je collectionne les Lys et cherche toutes info disponibles sur ces dernières. J'amasse les données aussi (pas juste les guiares) dans le but de publier un registre, soit sur une page web ou Facebook. Tu peux me joindre et m'envoyer les données de tes guitares et si possible des photos...

A+
Jerry
jerrybriand@sympatico.ca

Guitares Lys

Salut, Jerry!

Pardonne-moi de ne pas avoir répondu à ton courriel avant ce jour: je n'étais pas retourné sur ce site depuis.

Je suis, en effet, un colectionneur de guitares Lys. Ce, depuis l'époque où j'étais membre actif du groupe Garolou. Robert Godin fournissait des guitares à mon frère Michel, qui en jouait sur scène. Moi, le bassiste du groupe, je devais payer les miennes.

Ma premièr Lys fut une L18CW, que, malheureusement, je ne gardais pas en milieu assez humide. Elle est donc en très mauvais état; mais je la garde dans l'espoir de la faire remettre en bon état un jour.

Et c'est comme ça que ma passion pour les Lys a commencé. Ma dernière est une L5 datant d'environ 1980. Sais-tu quels matériaux furent utilisés dans la construction de cette guitare?

En temps et lieu, je te parlerai de mes autres guitares Lys et de mes Godin.

Au plaisir!

Marc Lalonde
lalondemar49@gmail.com

Re: LYS Guitar

I live in Quebec city and I have a L10-12 (12 strings) Lys guitar. It is still a good guitar and the body is nice. The wood looks great. I had to make repair the neck but I heard almost all Lys guitar had a problem with the neck. I can say, for what I know that this guitar is a great vintage instrument. Many novelters are interested in it.

Hi, I have a LYS Guitar for sale. It was handmade( as all LYS guitars are) in 1980, serial #1196,model# L-20. This LYS was a DEMO Model. Now I was told I could maybe get $800.00 but will accept any reasonable offers. Thanks!
Brenda

Lys L-20

Brenda
Is your guitar still available. Please email me at romularia@yahoo.ca
Thanks
Kazz

: Hi, I have a LYS Guitar for sale. It was handmade( as all LYS guitars are) in 1980, serial #1196,model# L-20. This LYS was a DEMO Model. Now I was told I could maybe get $800.00 but will accept any reasonable offers. Thanks!
: Brenda
:I would hold on to this one if you play it. Most of the Lys guitars improve with age.

: : Hi, I have a LYS Guitar for sale. It was handmade( as all LYS guitars are) in 1980, serial #1196,model# L-20. This LYS was a DEMO Model. Now I was told I could maybe get $800.00 but will accept any reasonable offers. Thanks!
: : Brenda
: :I would hold on to this one if you play it. Most of the Lys guitars improve with age.

Xavier - I am interested in you Lys. You can email me at romularia@yahoo.ca Thanks

LYS Guitar

I have a LYS guitar for sale. It is a 1981 made 12 cord. Let me know if interested. I have pictures as well.

Thank you

I wonder what model it is, and serial number? (mart0598 at hotmail.com

I have a LYS Acoustic Guitar. Model L (Letter only, No number), Ser.No. 1695, Manufactured in 1980. This guitar plays and looks wonderful. I'm about to change the strings and would like to clean and polish the neck and body while the strings are off. Can anyone suggest a good wax product that would do it justice and what kind of strings would complement this kind of guitar..

lys guitar

I have a LYS L20 from 1982-3. It plays very well and the neck is.so resistant to seasonal change. It is set up so close that any variation in
the neck would buzx.

I only clean the neck during string change. A wax has never been used and the gret board still looks very good for 28 years of heavy playing.

My string choice is the nano web or polyweb light guage.

Bob
They are.so smooth and.hold pitch. They also bring out the low and higher strings better than other brands. My LYS has a veneer body and these strings seem to
capture the best tones for this type of construction.

I am interested in your guitar, but my email to you bounced. If you're still out there, email me luvfastdogz at yahoo. ca
and maybe we can work something out.
deevee

I have a LYS Guitar for sale

Hi, I have an LYS accoustic guitar for sale, model L18-12CW. please email abe at gmail.com and make me an offer!

: I have recently come across a LYS L18, (serial# 8345) guitar that was my great grandpas. I already have some vintage acoustics and am very excited about his one. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything more about this specific guitar. I know it is handmade in Canada, I believe Quebec to be more specific but anything else i could find out would be great. I am also very curious about value, my grandpa said it was about $600 canadain new?

LYS L-5

I would like to sell my LYS L-5 guitar, but have no idea how much it's worth?!? Any suggestions?

Re: I have a LYS Guitar for sale

I have pictures of your guitar Lys thank you

Hi do you still have this guitar for sale? If so please contact me.\\Jerry

hi
i have just become an owener of a lys :L20 1448 where can i find out about this i think built in quebec in 1980
do yo know how i can find info on this thanks marti

Hi, I have an LYS accoustic guitar for sale, model L18-12CW. please email abe at gmail.com and make me an offer!

: : I have recently come across a LYS L18, (serial# 8345) guitar that was my great grandpas. I already have some vintage acoustics and am very excited about his one. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything more about this specific guitar. I know it is handmade in Canada, I believe Quebec to be more specific but anything else i could find out would be great. I am also very curious about value, my grandpa said it was about $600 canadain new?

Do you still have your lys guitar for sale? If so how much are you willing to let it go for?

Ed

Re: I have a LYS Guitar for sale LYS l18-CW May 23 2008

: Do you still have your lys guitar for sale? If so how much are you willing to let it go for?

: Ed

I think this thread might be a bit dated now, but there doesn't seem to be too much discussion on Lys guitars out there, especially my model. I have a LYS model L3, no. 6334. Does anyone have an idea of the year of manufacture for it, or have you ever seen another?

: I think this thread might be a bit dated now, but there doesn't seem to be too much discussion on Lys guitars out there, especially my model. I have a LYS model L3, no. 6334. Does anyone have an idea of the year of manufacture for it, or have you ever seen another?
: The Lys line was an excellent line. There was just one series that could be called a clunker. An experimental glue was used on the L2 series that was great to work with but tended to fail over time. If you have any other Lys you should hold onto it and care for it well. They should reward you with a lifetime of joyful sound.

LYS vintage

Thank you for commenting on this LYS site. I have looked for such a site for years. I purchased (traded) my trumpet in Madison Wisconsin in 1982-83 for a L2 veneer body, rose wood neck instrument which has retained it's quality, sound and fantastic neck action for thirty years. Many in low humidity storage. The serial # is 11433 and retailed for less than 400 USD at the time. Despite the veneer top, it has bright tones when played by pick and mellow tones when played finger style. People who have had the opportunity to play the L2 state it plays like butter because of the quailty of the fret board, neck and ability to retain a tight action. I would by another in a second and seek a more advanced 6 string LYS with a quality solid top.

Thank you for the string of positive comments on other LYS models.

LYS L-2

I know this is an old post, but my LYS L-2 serial # is 11432. I have had it from 1984 when my wife bought it for me while we lived in Madison, WI! She told me she thinks she paid about $100 for it and i always thought it was very underpriced for the quality of the guitar.

Lys 10

It's an old thread, but it's not dead yet. I just came into a Lys 10, serial #8392, marked Demo on the label, with no year indicated. I've seen a number of posts regarding the headstock or neck issue, and mine is no exception, other than that it hasn't been repaired yet. I don't play, but have a friend who does, he checked it out, and after I literally forced him to quit playing an hour later, we agreed that even with the headstock issue, it has an incredibly mellow tone... wow. Guess I'll have to spend a few bucks and get it repaired. It is a beautiful guitar!

Hi,
I don't have much that much to answer to your question, I just came upon this site while looking for information. I saw the first thread about the price of us dollar 600,- and found that a neath price. I bought mine in the Netherlands some 25 years ago and had to pay the equivalent of € 600,-, = 900 USD. 25 years ago, imagine!

: I think this thread might be a bit dated now, but there doesn't seem to be too much discussion on Lys guitars out there, especially my model. I have a LYS model L3, no. 6334. Does anyone have an idea of the year of manufacture for it, or have you ever seen another?

20 yrs ago, I had a beautiful LYS 12 string guitar. It had an amazing neck on it. It was my favorite guitar of all time!...unfortunately, it was stolen...by a guy named Derek Mintz..he got run over by his girlfriend so I dont mind naming him...he sold the guitar to someone for drug money probably...anyway...I would love to find another one somewhere....

I found the following on the internet. I have a Lys 12 string I would sell. If interested email- cswontv@juno.com

Lys guitars were made in LaPatrie Quebec. They are often described as the first guitars made by Robert Godin who developped the Seagull Guitar. This is incorrect. The Lys was made by Canadian Luthier Norman Butcher who also made the Kamouraska classical guitar. In the last part of 1980 a fire just about destroyed the Shop Butcher was operating and he did not have the financial ability to rebuild so he sold out to Godin, who remamed the Lys "seagull" and the kamouraska the "LaPatrie" Godin then developed the Simon and Patrick the Art&Luthier and the Norman.

It is a good thing that Godin bought the Butchers out since Martin was in the bidding as well hoping to destroy the line by packing it up and shipping it to Korea. All one has to do is remember what Martin did to the Goya when they bought out Levin. The early Goya's made in Sweden were superior guitars to the Martins, and what Martin did to Goya was just about criminal. I would put a Lys against any vintage Martin out there just as quickly as I would put a new Seagull against any new martin made. None of them would hold a candle to the old Goyas from the 60's though.

The luthier's name is Normand Boucher, not Butcher. I have a friend that as a Lys, the sound and playability of this guitar is remarkable, I have a martin D35, a Martin D15 and I would trade the both of them for is Lys.
: I found the following on the internet. I have a Lys 12 string I would sell. If interested email- cswontv@juno.com

: Lys guitars were made in LaPatrie Quebec. They are often described as the first guitars made by Robert Godin who developped the Seagull Guitar. This is incorrect. The Lys was made by Canadian Luthier Norman Butcher who also made the Kamouraska classical guitar. In the last part of 1980 a fire just about destroyed the Shop Butcher was operating and he did not have the financial ability to rebuild so he sold out to Godin, who remamed the Lys "seagull" and the kamouraska the "LaPatrie" Godin then developed the Simon and Patrick the Art&Luthier and the Norman.

: It is a good thing that Godin bought the Butchers out since Martin was in the bidding as well hoping to destroy the line by packing it up and shipping it to Korea. All one has to do is remember what Martin did to the Goya when they bought out Levin. The early Goya's made in Sweden were superior guitars to the Martins, and what Martin did to Goya was just about criminal. I would put a Lys against any vintage Martin out there just as quickly as I would put a new Seagull against any new martin made. None of them would hold a candle to the old Goyas from the 60's though.

Hello.
I also have a LYS L3 (No. 9238). I got mine for christmas when I was an exchange student in Montana 1984 (those were the days :-) ). It was new then. Sorry to say, thats all the info I have. The make isnt well known over here in Sweden.

I have a LYS Folk-10 that was purchased for me in 1980. It has lasted fabulously well considering that I was 13 years old at the time and I still have it! Plays wonderfully well, I don't know much about it though. I haven't found a single reference to it on the internet anywhere. It is serial number 1058

I have a LYS L-15 serial number 1067 which I purchased in Toronto in 1986. The label inside has 1980 on it, which I presume is the year of manufacture. It has been around the world, has held up well and still has a good sound. No details on the manufacturer however other than what has been mentioned already.

I have a Lys 12 string I bought on Ebay a couple years ago. My understanding is that the Lys shop burned down (in quebec) and the Lys guitar plans were bought out by Godin guitars. It is hard to find information. They were known to be very well hand made guitars for a mid range price.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.