LYS Guitar

Posted by Jeremy on Sat, 12/27/03 - 14:37:08.

I have recently come across a LYS L18, (serial# 8345) guitar that was my great grandpas. I already have some vintage acoustics and am very excited about his one. I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything more about this specific guitar. I know it is handmade in Canada, I believe Quebec to be more specific but anything else i could find out would be great. I am also very curious about value, my grandpa said it was about $600 canadain new?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

LYS L-2

I know this is an old post, but my LYS L-2 serial # is 11432. I have had it from 1984 when my wife bought it for me while we lived in Madison, WI! She told me she thinks she paid about $100 for it and i always thought it was very underpriced for the quality of the guitar.

Lys 10

It's an old thread, but it's not dead yet. I just came into a Lys 10, serial #8392, marked Demo on the label, with no year indicated. I've seen a number of posts regarding the headstock or neck issue, and mine is no exception, other than that it hasn't been repaired yet. I don't play, but have a friend who does, he checked it out, and after I literally forced him to quit playing an hour later, we agreed that even with the headstock issue, it has an incredibly mellow tone... wow. Guess I'll have to spend a few bucks and get it repaired. It is a beautiful guitar!

Re: LYS Guitar

Hi,
I don't have much that much to answer to your question, I just came upon this site while looking for information. I saw the first thread about the price of us dollar 600,- and found that a neath price. I bought mine in the Netherlands some 25 years ago and had to pay the equivalent of € 600,-, = 900 USD. 25 years ago, imagine!

: I think this thread might be a bit dated now, but there doesn't seem to be too much discussion on Lys guitars out there, especially my model. I have a LYS model L3, no. 6334. Does anyone have an idea of the year of manufacture for it, or have you ever seen another?

20 yrs ago, I had a beautiful LYS 12 string guitar. It had an amazing neck on it. It was my favorite guitar of all time!...unfortunately, it was stolen...by a guy named Derek Mintz..he got run over by his girlfriend so I dont mind naming him...he sold the guitar to someone for drug money probably...anyway...I would love to find another one somewhere....

I found the following on the internet. I have a Lys 12 string I would sell. If interested email- cswontv@juno.com

Lys guitars were made in LaPatrie Quebec. They are often described as the first guitars made by Robert Godin who developped the Seagull Guitar. This is incorrect. The Lys was made by Canadian Luthier Norman Butcher who also made the Kamouraska classical guitar. In the last part of 1980 a fire just about destroyed the Shop Butcher was operating and he did not have the financial ability to rebuild so he sold out to Godin, who remamed the Lys "seagull" and the kamouraska the "LaPatrie" Godin then developed the Simon and Patrick the Art&Luthier and the Norman.

It is a good thing that Godin bought the Butchers out since Martin was in the bidding as well hoping to destroy the line by packing it up and shipping it to Korea. All one has to do is remember what Martin did to the Goya when they bought out Levin. The early Goya's made in Sweden were superior guitars to the Martins, and what Martin did to Goya was just about criminal. I would put a Lys against any vintage Martin out there just as quickly as I would put a new Seagull against any new martin made. None of them would hold a candle to the old Goyas from the 60's though.

The luthier's name is Normand Boucher, not Butcher. I have a friend that as a Lys, the sound and playability of this guitar is remarkable, I have a martin D35, a Martin D15 and I would trade the both of them for is Lys.
: I found the following on the internet. I have a Lys 12 string I would sell. If interested email- cswontv@juno.com

: Lys guitars were made in LaPatrie Quebec. They are often described as the first guitars made by Robert Godin who developped the Seagull Guitar. This is incorrect. The Lys was made by Canadian Luthier Norman Butcher who also made the Kamouraska classical guitar. In the last part of 1980 a fire just about destroyed the Shop Butcher was operating and he did not have the financial ability to rebuild so he sold out to Godin, who remamed the Lys "seagull" and the kamouraska the "LaPatrie" Godin then developed the Simon and Patrick the Art&Luthier and the Norman.

: It is a good thing that Godin bought the Butchers out since Martin was in the bidding as well hoping to destroy the line by packing it up and shipping it to Korea. All one has to do is remember what Martin did to the Goya when they bought out Levin. The early Goya's made in Sweden were superior guitars to the Martins, and what Martin did to Goya was just about criminal. I would put a Lys against any vintage Martin out there just as quickly as I would put a new Seagull against any new martin made. None of them would hold a candle to the old Goyas from the 60's though.

Hello.
I also have a LYS L3 (No. 9238). I got mine for christmas when I was an exchange student in Montana 1984 (those were the days :-) ). It was new then. Sorry to say, thats all the info I have. The make isnt well known over here in Sweden.

I have a LYS Folk-10 that was purchased for me in 1980. It has lasted fabulously well considering that I was 13 years old at the time and I still have it! Plays wonderfully well, I don't know much about it though. I haven't found a single reference to it on the internet anywhere. It is serial number 1058

I have a LYS L-15 serial number 1067 which I purchased in Toronto in 1986. The label inside has 1980 on it, which I presume is the year of manufacture. It has been around the world, has held up well and still has a good sound. No details on the manufacturer however other than what has been mentioned already.

I have a Lys 12 string I bought on Ebay a couple years ago. My understanding is that the Lys shop burned down (in quebec) and the Lys guitar plans were bought out by Godin guitars. It is hard to find information. They were known to be very well hand made guitars for a mid range price.

I have recently acquired a LYS guitar, model L 10-12 and the serial# is 8553. It is a great sounding guitar - no idea what it's worth either but it is certainly well made.

: I have recently acquired a LYS guitar, model L 10-12 and the serial# is 8553. It is a great sounding guitar - no idea what it's worth either but it is certainly well made.

I also bought a LYS L 10-12 a few years ago at Ebay. It is absolutely great sounding. Much better than my other guitars. But the action (between fret and strings) is very high. One day I will give to a guitar builder to solve this problem.

lys 18

l bought a lys L18 in Vancouver back in early january 1981, my father knew the owner of the music store and it was priced at $800 Canadian, but l got it for 600 and would never part with it, the action at the lower end was always a bit high but there is a reason for this as l found out to my expense, when l asked a luthier to do a fret job on it for me he decided to lower the action, what a big mistake that was, the lovely treble sound these guitars produce was completely lost and the strings are now buzzing on the first fret, its not a tragedy as l can soon get this sorted out, l also have a martin drednought but they are completely different sounding guitars and both complement each other when played together, back to the Lys, the music store owner knew alot about the guitar and told me it was Normans son that actually started making the Lys guitar, there is a label on the inside of the guitar saying " l am hand made of solid wood and need 45% humidity" l cant remember the exact serial number but it is in the early thousands, it was definitely made before the fire, also the back of the guitar is made of 3 seperate pieces of which look like mahogony, the outer 2 parts are match booked (this is quite rare to see), also the top sound board is either spruce or maple but it is also in 3 parts with the outer 2 once again being match booked. l live in the UK now but spent many years in good old B.C., if anyone has a lys with this sort of design please let me know l would love to hear from you, if your selling one be very careful as l would not class this instrument as a mid range guitar, as l said before you cant compare it to a Martin as they are two completely different instruments, if you have one like mine and are considering selling it then make your starting bid at a minimum of $2000 Canadian, they are vintage instruments and can never be replaced, any feed back about my Lys would be greatly appreciated but" IT IS NOT FOR SALE" !!! also if anyone is thinking of lowering the action beyond the 7th fret you will not only loose that lovely treble sound that these guitars were built(or at least this particular model was) for but you will also loose the resonation and it sounds as if the strings have been on there for 20 years, so make sure you get a highly recommended luthier who knows about the history of Lys guitars. if anyone out there has a lys guitar remotely similar to mine l really would appreciate some feed back good luck to all of you and remember if it was hand made think carefully before selling it!!!

L18

Hi, your Lys L18 is made out of solid walnut (Bac & sides) and solid spruce (top).

I paid mine 600 back in 1980. I collect Lys guitars if you ever see an L25 let me know...
For yours if you can please share your serial number and some pics...

I collect the Lys instrument but also any data on them, I want to recreate a register of all manufactured Lys...
that I will eventually post on facebook or the Web.

Email at jerrybriand@sympatico.ca

Thanks.
Jerry

Please, Lys L20 info

Hi Jerry and everyone,

I just found this forum, it is so difficult to find information about these guitars.
I am about to buy a Lys L20 1980. I just would like to know the specs of this guitar, is it all solid wood?
I have a Seagull Maritime and it has a beautiful sound that is why I got interested on this one.
Thank you very much.

Leo

Lys L10

I bought this guitar second-hand many years ago for my son. He left home and left it behind. It is a LYS L10, 1980, Serial # 1200.

YOur reply of May 15, 2013 L-10

Hi feel free to send me pic if you can...does your son wish to sell it?

Thanks.
Jerry

Lys L-12

Hi Jerry; I bought my 12-string serial no. 1285 back in 1980 while attending the university of Guelph...it was my first guitar and I've since bought a couple of Seagulls, not knowing the two were 'father and son'. When I look closely, it appears that the top is solid spruce and the back is spruce veneered ?3-ply. Lovely sound that seems to be improving with age (or I'm getting hard of hearing).

It's good to hear that that it may be becoming a rare guitar with some increase in value...though cash value means little if there's never a plan to sell !

Cheers. Mike from Vasey (Ont).

Lys guitar

Hi Mike, feel free to send me some pics...Your L-12 sides and back is made out of cherry which looks like maple...
They made Lys out of pruce all around (top, bac and side) this is the L15...

Thanks,
Jerry

lys 18

hi Jerry
thanks for that info, l have been searching for years to gather this sort of information, your idea of creating a register and info web site sounds exciting, it's obviously going to be allot of hard work so anything l can help you with, just drop me a line, you can reply to my private email address, raltman@Z1p.biz, just put lys in the subject line and l will send you some pics and the serial number, once again thanks for the info look forward to hearing from you.

Lys 10

I posted in an earlier thread but for those working on a registry, letting you know that I possess a Lys 10, Serial # 8392, marked "Demo" on sticker.

I was checking on the year of my guitar the LYS L18 (serial# 8345) and from what ive been told its from the early to mid 1970s. I have taken it in to a guitar shop that is in town, Kelowna, BC Canada and got it tuned up he planes and polishes the fret board, sets the action, makes a new nut bone and dremels the bridge for proper tone. It is amazing work and makes the guitar play better then anything I have ever played. I am still curious though about the value??

close serial numbers

l have just checked the serial number on my lys L18 after reading your comment, l have put some info on the blog above yours but my number is 9568 the information is on the inside of the guitar and states that it was hand made of solid wood, apart from that l don't have much info but what l just noticed is that the back of the guitar is slightly arched and the top is flat this is quite unusual, like you l would never sell mine but if you leave me a message and email address l will send you some pics as it sounds as though yours is nearly identical to mine,l have been searching for years to see if anyone had an L18 that wasnt a cutaway, let me know if your interested in trading pics, this is quite exciting for me as l know how rare the full bodied L18 is.

Do you know how old your Lys -18 is? I have an L-18 CW. The serial # is 9593. I assume it is not as old as yours. I too would like to know if it has any value as a collectors item. I like this guitar too much to ever sell it.

: Do you know how old your Lys -18 is? I have an L-18 CW. The serial # is 9593. I assume it is not as old as yours. I too would like to know if it has any value as a collectors item. I like this guitar too much to ever sell it.

Lys guitars were made in the early 80's by Godin. He now makes his own line of electric guitars, and well as does work for seagull guitars. They guitars were very well made and last a life time I have a L18CW as well and I have never seen it's like. The sound will also get better with age as it has a fine spruce top. I bought mine in 1981 for about $315 Canadian. If you ever decide to part with yours feel free to contact me.

Brent

:Hello
I own a LYS L20. It is a very basic guitar, as far as appearance. It is blonde in colour as well as the back. Although the back has red horizontal knurling.
The reason I am writing is...I am seeing a lot of guitar owners saying they have 1981, 82, LYS's. My understanding is...The LYS factory had a major fire in 1980, and didn't re-open until 1983, My doubts are obvious. My L20 was made in 1980, serial number 1131.did you know...The guitars made pre-fire were handmade by Richard Godin and Normand Bucherer(please excuse spelling). The information I am leaving in my message is info I obtained on/via the internet.

Regards
Mike Piccolo
former drummer: **** Robin, Talas (with Billy Sheenan):

Do you know how old your Lys -18 is? I have an L-18 CW. The serial # is 9593. I assume it is not as old as yours. I too would like to know if it has any value as a collectors item. I like this guitar too much to ever sell it.

: Lys guitars were made in the early 80's by Godin. He now makes his own line of electric guitars, and well as does work for seagull guitars. They guitars were very well made and last a life time I have a L18CW as well and I have never seen it's like. The sound will also get better with age as it has a fine spruce top. I bought mine in 1981 for about $315 Canadian. If you ever decide to part with yours feel free to contact me.

: Brent

Where do you see model # on the Lys?? I have a serial # 13191 (young compared to your numbers i suspect). Absolutely magic piece, bought in Toronto in 80's and travelled the world now with me in South Africa. Where can i find when made, bit about manufacture, types of wood used, model etc? Any info would be great, never sell just real interested. Thanks.

Denis

Boucher guitar correction website

This is the one that also has the Boucher story.
http://www.guitareboucher.com/index.php?lang=en

Re: Boucher guitar correction website

: This is the one that also has the Boucher story.
: http://www.guitareboucher.com/index.php?lang=en
Guitars from Claude Boucher :

www.boucherguitars.com/

Hello, I have an old Lys (6 strings) and I have to admit it has an amazing sound. My guitar was bouhht in Montreal and is still in show room condition. It was also tuned and balanced by a professional "luthier". The only thing, I don't play anymore and would like to concentrate on my first instrument, the sax.

So yes, the guitar is for sale at $575. It's not only a good deal, it:s a part of history. The guitar was made by Norman Boucher (father-creator of Norman and Boucher
guitars).

I can be reached at 613-612-5542. (Ottawa)

i was trying to find information about a guitar that was recently handed down to me. It is an L30 serial # 1169 with DEMO stamped on the interior label. It also says right on the label it was made in 1980.

This being the case, why is there such little information on these guitars. Godin left this line alone and went to work for himself? How did all of this transpire. This guitar is all a light brown/auburn with the fleur de lys headstock and nice wood grains.

Has definitive bottom end, great upper tonal clarity, and no overtones of a noticable nature.

If anybody can tell me anything else about this guitar I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks SIMON

: :Hello
: I own a LYS L20. It is a very basic guitar, as far as appearance. It is blonde in colour as well as the back. Although the back has red horizontal knurling.
: The reason I am writing is...I am seeing a lot of guitar owners saying they have 1981, 82, LYS's. My understanding is...The LYS factory had a major fire in 1980, and didn't re-open until 1983, My doubts are obvious. My L20 was made in 1980, serial number 1131.did you know...The guitars made pre-fire were handmade by Richard Godin and Normand Bucherer(please excuse spelling). The information I am leaving in my message is info I obtained on/via the internet.

: Regards
: Mike Piccolo
: former drummer: **** Robin, Talas (with Billy Sheenan):

: Do you know how old your Lys -18 is? I have an L-18 CW. The serial # is 9593. I assume it is not as old as yours. I too would like to know if it has any value as a collectors item. I like this guitar too much to ever sell it.

: : Lys guitars were made in the early 80's by Godin. He now makes his own line of electric guitars, and well as does work for seagull guitars. They guitars were very well made and last a life time I have a L18CW as well and I have never seen it's like. The sound will also get better with age as it has a fine spruce top. I bought mine in 1981 for about $315 Canadian. If you ever decide to part with yours feel free to contact me.

: : Brent
I just had my Lys 18CW stolen or misplaced by American Airlines. I am just sick. I am trying to come up with some kind of replacement value. Please let me know what you think.

Regards,

Bob Giles

LYS Guitar

I just bought a LYS model Folk 10 serial # 8101 at the local Goodwill. Anybody know anything more about them? It's a lovely instrument....

I own one that was bought new...I can't tell you much about them other than what has already been written here - Mine was bought around '81 and has a low 1000 serial number. Still a wonderful instrument..

: I just bought a LYS model Folk 10 serial # 8101 at the local Goodwill. Anybody know anything more about them? It's a lovely instrument....

LYS Guitar

: I have a lLys 12 string. Great guitar to play and I have enjoyed it. I am thinking about selling it because I just don't play it like I should and thought someone else may get more use out of it. Any ideas as to value. It is in good playing condition, but this model has the satin finish. thnaks fro your help.

: : Do you know how old your Lys -18 is? I have an L-18 CW. The serial # is 9593. I assume it is not as old as yours. I too would like to know if it has any value as a collectors item. I like this guitar too much to ever sell it.

I bought the guitar new in 1980 to start with and I have subsequently found out that LYS were made in Ottawa or Hull Que, and that the factory was purchased by Godin and burned in 1981. The line was discontinued at that time. Too bad I'd love to have a second L 18 CW or a 12 string. I've seen the 12 strings on E-bay occasionally for about $200 US, but I've never seen another L-18CW, most people I run into think I'm playing a Taylor, not an insult.

Oh yes my serial number is: 10618 so it doesn't really jive with your serial number, but I have the feeling the first three numbers are the serial number and the last two are the model

: : Do you know how old your Lys -18 is? I have an L-18 CW. The serial # is 9593. I assume it is not as old as yours. I too would like to know if it has any value as a collectors item. I like this guitar too much to ever sell it.

I bought the guitar new in 1980 to start with and I have subsequently found out that LYS were made in Ottawa or Hull Que, and that the factory was purchased by Godin and burned in 1981. The line was discontinued at that time. Too bad I'd love to have a second L 18 CW or a 12 string. I've seen the 12 strings on E-bay occasionally for about $200 US, but I've never seen another L-18CW, most people I run into think I'm playing a Taylor, not an insult.

: I had a 12 string LYS with the satin blonde body and rosewood neck myself in the early 80's and i paid £160.00 for it but no matter how much i tried i could get the action down so i could only play around the the top nut end and not up the fretboard so i sold it and bought an epiphone pr700 which is a much better guitar by far so my advice is unload if you can bye for now

I have a lLys 12 string. Great guitar to play and I have enjoyed it. I am thinking about selling it because I just don't play it like I should and thought someone else may get more use out of it. Any ideas as to value. It is in good playing condition, but this model has the satin finish. thnaks fro your help.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.