DAUPHIN GUITARS

Advertisement
Posted by Ray on Tue, 08/03/04 - 09:25:33.

I have a Dauphin DS-10 from 1997 made in Spain, it was gift to me when I was in high school. It's in good condition, except the pervious owner scratched it up really good with a guitar pick. The person couldn't tell there wasnt pick guards on classical guitars, obviously. So, I move into my own apartment and I was quoting cost on all my guitars, for insurance purposes and I found out quickly, THERE IS NO DAUPHIN GUITAR GUIDES OR DEALERS ON THE INTERNET (That I can find) The guitar is so awesome, and I WANT to own more Dauphins, because of its crisp and clear sound. Where can I get a Price Guide for Dauphins or even a catalog of instruments? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Related Gear:
Classical Guitar Roundup

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Some history on Dauhpin

I should have copied the website I found some info on the Japan made Dauphin model 40 I have. I can tell you from memory (back to 02' when I bought my mine 2nd hand via the web on some random forum) what I remember from that website which seemed very legit and informative. The company Dauphin was started a long long time ago like around 150 years go. The Japanese factory never moved location and all the operations were done on the family's land which is in a small village in some mountainous part of Japan. I wish I could remember the name of the village and the last name of the owners it started with a Y (the owner I think or maybe the town my memory not that hot :P. I say 150 as a guess because this company passed it's knowledge and craftsmanship from father luthier to son luthier for 4 or 5 generations. The last son had no male heir to carry on the legacy of their guitar making and in the early 80's i think it was 83' or 84' he shut down the family business at the ripe old age of 102 and sold the company (ie the name really) to a some guy in Spain. Apparently these guy that owned this Japanese company had some super genetics going for them in their favor. All of them lived over 88 years of age and the oldest one lived till he was 105. Apparently all of them were still actively involved making the guitars up until the they day they died.

Not that you would ever get such info but the website I got all this info from back then was saying that if the mastery luither the main male family member that owned the company even touched your guitar it's value alone would be dramatically increase but if he built it from start to finish they were saying the guitar could be worth 2-3k more.

Now not piss off all you owners of the Spanish but the Spain owned company only lasted a few years 8 or 10 more than i few i guess but compared to the legacy the was Dauphin it was nothing. I have heard from many people that when the Spanish company first started making them were good not guitars, not on par with original makers but comparable at least. After like 2-3 of the Spanish company decided to cut costs to increase their profit margin and the quality went down even further ie. they bought a name Dauphin and milked that name. This not what I know from playing them just what I hard in a very well down mid - 90's style website I found in 03' after browsing many bullshit web pages for info. The decline in the craftsmanship hurt Dauphin's name to the point to where they closed their doors for good and sold their factory to a furniture making company.

I did some looking around found this site http://www.sugitakenji.com/en/features/index.html
I seems like this guy worked for Dauphin at some point under the guy whose name started with a Y i couldn't remember Yukinobu Chai. Their main location was in Osaka Japan but I believe it all started in a small village near that city in the mountains. For the record I don't play much at all any more my skills have gone down to so much it's sad but to this day I will not sell mine. I feel like a not only a fine piece of Japanese history but also a very well crafted guitar. I have an emotional attachment to it as it was my first guitar to buy and I used to carry it everywhere and called it my baby. If I die before my brother I will make sure he gets it he has been trying to borrow / buy it from me for last 6 years. Anyway I hope that helps not sure you guys wanted an essay on the history. Sure I probably got some stuff wrong there. I'd love more solid information or facts maybe just to back up what a read so long ago make me feel like my decision to not sell when I had a 600 dollar offer from a really good classical musician that used my student model guitar to record 2 albums while he saved up to replace his that only one that stolen.

If you want more info best place I can say is maybe contact the guy from http://www.sugitakenji.com/en/features/index.html and ask him. Who knows if he can help you since it won't generate him any $ for info but who knows. Seems like a good guy most modern day Japanese really are noble and honorable people.

Dauphin 25D FOR SALE

I was a classical guitar major at Interlochen Arts Academy and this was my guitar.
The Dauphin 25D guitar is in great shape, still sounds beautiful has a small ding on the body but it doesn't effect the sound at all. Comes with a lined hard case that is in great shape.
She needs a good home! Any offers?
Leave a comment and it will be sent to my email.
Thank you!

Dauphin Model 30 for sale

Hi,

I have a wonderful Dauphin Model 30 made in Japan. I bought it in 1986 from a teacher at Peabody Conservatory. I picked it out of about 6 Dauphin guitars that he had. This sounded the best! Offered at $700. davidhirsch@mailcan.com

model 60

I've had one for 25-30 years. I used it when I was studying classical. It is a wonderful guitar that projects loudly and sounds great. I have so many others that I play more often. I've keep this in it case mostly breaking it out playing from time to time. It's in mint condition...not a mark on it.

Dauphine Model 8 with org case , extras Japan (rosewood?)

I have a Dauphine Model 8 serial number starts with 580*** up for sale made in Japan ,. the case is Japan D.Pat
was used as payment on a auto I sold I know nothing about this other than what the person told me ,. seems to be late 60's excellent condition . one small nic on front , looks like rosewood. Any reply will be helpful thanks.

Re: DAUPHIN GUITARS

I have a Dauphin Model 30 guitar that was purchased in the early 80's. It is in a hardshell case and it is in great condition -no scratches and plays beautifully. I took it to a guitar store today and they could not find any info on it to quote me a price. Does anyone have any info on what this guitar would sell for? I used it when I was studying guitar, and have not played it in years. I would like to sell it and can send pictures.

I have a late 70's vintage Dauphin Model 20 I would rather NOT sell, but need to, to pay bills. I bought it new from my classical teacher in 1977, I believe, and have played it off and on over the years, but it is close to mint, and I kept the humisorb and humidity gauge in the (plush hardshell) case, which go with it. Also a classical style capo. The sound is wonderful, and the two-piece match back is a work of art of itself. I need $450 + ship. for it. It is an ideal guitar for a student who wants something a notch above the standard ranch fare classicals, like Yamaha. If interested, call me at 479-253-7185.
Dan or email dangentry@mynewroads.com

Re: DAUPHIN MODEL 40

:Yes Kevin, I'm still interested, but you moved!

I have a Dauphin Model 40 that was purchased in the mid-80s. It has a few little scuffs, but overall in great condition. I'm thinking of selling it on eBay, any idea what it's worth? There's virtually no info on these guitars on the net. Thanks.

: I have a Dauphin model 20 and I'm interesting in selling it.

: : I have a Dauphin model 20 and I'm interesting in selling it.

I might be interested. What condition is it in? With or without case? How much? I have a Dauphin 40 and want a second guitar.

Judy Myers

: : : I have a Dauphin model 20 and I'm interesting in selling it.

: I might be interested. What condition is it in? With or without case? How much?
I have a Dauphin 40 and want a secon

My guitar is in mint condition. I don't know anything about the age. I would guess a early 70's. It was made in Japan and has a beautiful rosewood back. I think that is the wood. It is like new in a plush lined hardshell case. I can send pics if needed. I don't have any info on value. I would like to get $550.00 for it. It truely is a work of art with a beautiful sound. Bobby Snow 662-629-0150

: Judy Myers

I have a Dauphin classical giutar I think my uncle bought 15 years ago before he died. It was only played a couple of times and has been in a case for the last 15 years. I came across it cleaning out my attic for a garage sell. I have know idea what it's worth know. If any one is interested I can send photo,s and model #. Just e-mail me I do not play guitar so I have no use for it. Thanks

: I have a Dauphin classical giutar I think my uncle bought 15 years ago before he died. It was only played a couple of times and has been in a case for the last 15 years. I came across it cleaning out my attic for a garage sell. I have know idea what it's worth know. If any one is interested I can send photo,s and model #. Just e-mail me I do not play guitar so I have no use for it. Thanks

hello
if you still have the dauphi guitar i would like to know what the model is and where it was made...
i know a little bit about dauphin guitars..

: hello
: if you still have the dauphi guitar i would like to know what the model is and where it was made...
: i know a little bit about dauphin guitars..

Any idea what a Dauphin Mod. DS20 made in Spain dated 1997 might be worth?

I have a Dauphin DS50 made in 1991. It has a lovely warm sound. It's a cedar top, full-sized (650 mm) and I installed a battery-operated (9-volt) pickup which works really well. It has just a couple of dings in the finish. I hate to part with it, but I have a little arthritis and want to get a smaller model. Anyone interested?

hello
i am interested in your dauphin ds 50 guitar!!!
if you still have it please let me know....

Hey MaryAnne I'm seriously interested. Email me at yellowmailman@yahoo.com

Hey MaryAnne I'm seriously interested. Email me at yellowmailman@yahoo.com

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.