1980 LYS L 12 Guitar

Posted by CRAIG on Wed, 11/09/05 - 09:51:48.

hey guys
i aquired a 1980 LYS 12 acoustic string guitar todya in a trade. the sN is 1218, i have read that these guitars were only made for 1 year by a man named godwin. his factory burned down and never reopened, anybody know thte value of this guitar???

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: 1980 LYS L 12 Guitar

I am also looking to get an L12. Did you ever find out anything more about that model? I posted a lot of information about the Lys's but I want to know more about that particular one if anyone has any information about the woods, quality, long lasting value etc. Blessings, Nitya

: hey guys
: i aquired a 1980 LYS 12 acoustic string guitar todya in a trade. the sN is 1218, i have read that these guitars were only made for 1 year by a man named godwin. his factory burned down and never reopened, anybody know thte value of this guitar???

: hey guys
: i aquired a 1980 LYS 12 acoustic string guitar todya in a trade. the sN is 1218, i have read that these guitars were only made for 1 year by a man named godwin. his factory burned down and never reopened, anybody know thte value of this guitar???

i also have a LYS 12-sting L25-12.. i bought it from a pawn shop in the spring of 93.. i have had it for over 12 years now and i love it. i think i paid $300. for it.. it was well worth it, sounds better than a martin i used to havehd-28. wish i could find out more about them though. i just started searching for info on them .. if you have any info please let me know

It's pretty straight forward. LYS guitars were made in Ottawa my Godin (not Godwin) and Boucher. The factory burned in late 1980 and was rebuilt but abandoned a short time later. They are now in La Patrie Quebec in the eastern townships and make Simon and Patrick as well as Seagull and Godin guitars. The guitars are excellent and will last more than a life time. I have a L18CW which is a florentine dreadnought cut away. Very rare and yes it sounds better than a martin or taylor. Funny enough I bought mine in a pawn shop in Toronto for $315CDN. It is a demo. A LYS 12 recently sold for more than $400 on ebay, a little high but LYS are getting very rare. The 1980 ones were all hand made with very little machining involved. It anyone has an L18CW for sale contact me as I'd love a back up to give to my son one day.

I have a LYS L18-CW that I purchased it at a garage sale. Looks to be in pretty good shape but I'm no musician. I do have an eye for fine instruments though, and I do sell them once in a while. Contact me if you want pics. I also consider swaps. Thanks - Alan 201-835-4312

I just saw your post exactly two years later...do you still have this guitar? I would be interested. Please send me photos and more information. Thanks! Blessings, Nitya

: I have a LYS L18-CW that I purchased it at a garage sale. Looks to be in pretty good shape but I'm no musician. I do have an eye for fine instruments though, and I do sell them once in a while. Contact me if you want pics. I also consider swaps. Thanks - Alan 201-835-4312

There is an LYS for sale on Ebay

Re: 1980 LYS L 20 Guitar

: There is an LYS for sale on Ebay...Does anyone know why there are hardly any LYS L20 models around?

many thanks

mike

I have an L-10-12 serial number 10851 that I bought in 1981 or 82. It had fallen off the rack in the store, and had cracked and been repaired. The repair was (and still is) quite visible, but it doesn't seem to affect the tone at all. I think I paid less than $200 for it back then.

I'm still playing it, and despite the dings and dents that come from dragging a guitar all over North America for over 20 years its still plays well and sounds great.

Godin makes fine guitars. I also own a Godin electric that is as good as anything out there. I'm really happy to support a company that produces a world-class product at a reasonable price without shipping the manufacturing to China or Korea.

As for selling it, you'll have to pry it from my cold stiff fingers, and do it quick before my son grabs it.

Any other questions feel free to contact me. grif280@attglobal.net

Lys L25

Hi, I'm looking for Eli...
WOuld like to know if you still have the L25-12...if yes I would be interested to buy, if not would still be interested to collect serial number and pics...I collect Lys (both instrument and data)...

Thanks.
Jerry Briand

Thanks for the information posted hear. I just bought a LYS L12 at a pawn shop for 140cdn$ and the sound that comes out of it is incredible. I also have a norman B-20 6 string and for me, Norman has to be one of the best sounding acoustiques ever to be built hear in Quebec, same as Godin Seagul etc etc.... Anyway there is a signature on my Lys Daniel Something, i cant remember the last name but im wondering if it was built for someone or if its a previous owner that imprinted that on the guitar...im curious to find out. Did Lys have signature models? thats my question to all of you....hope to get some feedback...Dave.

Lys "L" guitar

I would be interested in selling my Lys model L guitar for a reasonable price. You can contact me at gheavyg@charter.net or by phone at 775-250-2652.

Regards, Gary

There is a LYS L-15 for sale on E-Bay

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2016 , All Rights Reserved.